The British Construction Equipment Forum  

Go Back   The British Construction Equipment Forum > INDUSTRY MATTERS > General Business Issues

#11   IP: 86.128.54.254
Old 24-03-2018, 06:55 AM
Knight of the East

Default Re: Estimate vs Quote

A Estimate is a Rough guide a Quote is a exact cost. In Bulk earthworks or any earthmoving/ground works job neither should be set in stone.

We always give any form of pricing based off the hours to be worked (or on a quotation days).

For instance a estimate for, shifting 500t with a short/medium haul would most likely be
7.5t Excavator and operator for 4 days only - £1400
6t Dumper and Operator for 3 days only- £900
6t Dumper and Operator for 3 days only- £900
Total Cost of works - £3200

You then have a disclaimer at the bottom stating any additional time or work due to ground conditions, weather etc etc is chargeable as a Estimate works both ways.... BUT you need to Honour that fact and when the digger is only there for two days and a dumper there for one day charge them far less.

A quote can be much the same. but the crucial thing is to Itemise and actually put what you are doing in writing..... Clients are idiots and will think that changing plans, sizes ect half way through the job won't make a difference to the price.... then have a paddy when it does.... If in doubt STOP!

Personally it's the wrong time of year to attempt a job like that, weather is too changeable and the ground is too wet to do it efficiently.

The secret to doing work for family/friends is that they need to be aware that you are charging them what it costs plus your time... as neither one of you can loose or win that way!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"IT'S ALL DOWN TO YOUR OWN SITUATION."
  #12   IP: 31.52.68.248
Old 24-03-2018, 07:11 AM
Secret Master

Gave an estimate of £1500 for whole job. Wasn’t banking on turbo going and them harassing to get it done sooner. Lesson learnt. Shouldn’t have had my ear bent when hi missus was bleeding her heart out saying how little they have to spend to get it done. Thought I was doing them a favour. Plenty of other bigger companies around here they could have asked if they wanted it done in a day.

So far had dump trailer and 8t machine for 2 and half days (weather halted work). Then another chap had to come in with his kit as mine had more problems with the cold weather. He has even done it cheaper than what I could as he wants to get more work from me in future but the amount that couldn’t be left on site has meant there’s another day at least. Plus they are insisting there’s a banking next to a road that needs to come out which wasn’t said in the beginning but they are adamant.

Live and learn I guess. Not everyone is honest
  #13   IP: 83.197.102.226
Old 24-03-2018, 07:38 AM
Master Elect of Nine

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterpecker View Post
That sums it up nicely

When its happened to me I have sucked it up and moved on - reputation is everything and I dont like confrontation.
  #14   IP: 86.128.54.254
Old 24-03-2018, 08:14 AM
Knight of the East

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterpecker View Post
Yep.

Never ever go in low. Brings bad news. £1500 is way too cheaper price to be offering, go higher and cut it down if it goes well!

Oh and FYI, If someone has the opportunity to erect stables, they also have the money to pay for things.... Remember it's a choice of paying you, or buying another fkn horse!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

#15   IP: 188.220.6.135
Old 24-03-2018, 11:41 AM
Sublime Master Elected

If people want estimates I just give a day rate and say I'll go as fast / efficiently as I can - simple as really, if you think it will take a week tell them two weeks and they won't be disappointed if it's done faster! As said it's usually the client that holds things up, by adding things in, changing minds and trying to organise muck away/stone and it being days late!! But not wanting to pay you waiting time!!
  #16   IP: 86.158.151.237
Old 24-03-2018, 01:59 PM
Secret Master

Usually do 'mates rates' for family, friends and their contacts etc.
Especially if they are very local
A few years ago when I was fairly new to this game I did a land drainage job for a neighbour just half mile up the road. The front garden (about an acre) of his 5 acre plot was flooding every winter. Nice running ditch nearby. Easy job what can possibly go wrong!
Gave him a quote before he said go ahead. Got myself into a right mucking fuddle!
Obviously ground was very soggy and the two days to do it turned into about 4 days of hard graft.
He then explained that as he worked as a local Trading Standards Officer he would hold me to the terms of the QUOTE.
If I had given him an ESTIMATE then he would gladly pay move because of the difficulty cause by the conditions on his site
Made absolutely nothing on that job. Even though I aim to make a bit at 'mates rates'. He didn't even pay cash!
The real kick in the bollocks was after being told that no services were where I was working....
......and then going through his 25mm MDPE water main at only about 300mm deep, he insisted that I restore it straight away. Worked with torchlight until about 9pm getting it sorted.
On a positive note, the front garden has never flooded again. I was proud to have done a good job
So the lesson learnt in this game is ESTIMATE and not QUOTE
  #17   IP: 185.16.224.33
Old 24-03-2018, 02:30 PM
Intimate Secretary

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoakers View Post
Usually do 'mates rates' for family, friends and their contacts etc.
Especially if they are very local
A few years ago when I was fairly new to this game I did a land drainage job for a neighbour just half mile up the road. The front garden (about an acre) of his 5 acre plot was flooding every winter. Nice running ditch nearby. Easy job what can possibly go wrong!
Gave him a quote before he said go ahead. Got myself into a right mucking fuddle!
Obviously ground was very soggy and the two days to do it turned into about 4 days of hard graft.
He then explained that as he worked as a local Trading Standards Officer he would hold me to the terms of the QUOTE.
If I had given him an ESTIMATE then he would gladly pay move because of the difficulty cause by the conditions on his site
Made absolutely nothing on that job. Even though I aim to make a bit at 'mates rates'. He didn't even pay cash!
The real kick in the bollocks was after being told that no services were where I was working....
......and then going through his 25mm MDPE water main at only about 300mm deep, he insisted that I restore it straight away. Worked with torchlight until about 9pm getting it sorted.
On a positive note, the front garden has never flooded again. I was proud to have done a good job
So the lesson learnt in this game is ESTIMATE and not QUOTE
If I'd have been told no services where working I'd have called him to the trench edge and conveniently squirted him in the face with the 25mm pipe.
  #18   IP: 86.128.54.254
Old 24-03-2018, 04:38 PM
Knight of the East

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoakers View Post
I'd of completed the job to a high standard, and then promptly done something childish like thrown a fuck load of roundup elsewhere on his property in the shape of a Banana and two apples.

#19   IP: 109.189.196.27
Old 24-03-2018, 05:30 PM
Elect of Fifteen

Once upon a time, In November 2013 I was hired in with my duck to a big plant contractor
to replace one 110 mm water main that was put down in 1919 going in the Main Street and across the land owners lawn

the land owner asked if I could give them a price on making a new driveway 12 by 4 m, which he would lay cobblestone on later himself, since I already dug across his lawn, did I know that where he wanted the new driveway, was it 50 cm of topsoil

and I told him that to make a stabil driveway, would all that topsoil have to be removed and that I would
build his new driveway with 40cm 20-120mm crushed rock and 5cm 0-20 mm crushed rock which I think is similar to your type 1 and then top of with 5cm 2-5mm crushed rock for him to set the cobblestones in
with ground separation cloth underneath it

the total Quote price I gave him was Nok 24000,- = £ 2200,-

the customer then said he had gotten a price of Nok 8000,- £ 740
i told him no problem, and good luck with the Nok 8000,- = £ 740 job

in August 2014 the landowner called me asking if I could, have a look at this driveway

it had sunk so much down in the wheel tracks that this BMW X5 was being scratched in its belly
i told him that it looked like he have had a nice Nok 8000,- = £ 740 job done

the guy that took the job for Nok 8000,- = £ 740 job had removed 3 inches of turf and build up the driveway with 3 inches of type 1
he hadn't even bothered to use any ground separation cloth

the customer then asked me how much I wanted to do it properly
my answer was Nok 27000,- = £ 2500,-
he then asked why I had increased the price

i then told him that I could have reused the topsoil on another job in the area and sense the topsoil now had been mixed with type 1

would it be of no use for me,and that I would have to pay to get rid of it
and that every year prices for labor, diesel, gravel and everything else has gone up

to days later I found the signed contract in my mailbox
10 days later I did the job and the customer was happy with his new driveway

although he was not so happy with the final total price off Nok 35000,- = £ 3200,-

chosen the cheapest price ain't always the cheapest
Because it is less competition there.

Last edited by Bucket on wheels; 24-03-2018 at 05:51 PM.
  #20   IP: 81.129.242.130
Old 24-03-2018, 07:03 PM
Secret Master

I find it is best to avoid these types of jobs. I was asked to price a job for some relatives & they constantly reminded me I should give them extra low family rates, I asked them what happens if I go in with my extra low family rate & hit hard rock or other such problems, they told me tough a price is a price.