The British Construction Equipment Forum  

Go Back   The British Construction Equipment Forum > EQUIPMENT > Vintage & Classic Equipment

#1   IP: 147.147.105.9
Old 09-05-2018, 09:00 AM
Provost and Judge

Default Priestman Beaver

Here's an old girl looking for some love and attention.

https://www.gumtree.com/p/plant-trac...ver/1298007878

Looks like it was a forerunner for today's reduced tail-swing models

I'm not sure I'd like to be anywhere wet with those flat track pads. It would be a bit slick underfoot.

Perfect project for Druid.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg $_86 (1).jpg (99.8 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg $_86.jpg (99.9 KB, 53 views)
  #2   IP: 85.255.232.85
Old 09-05-2018, 10:30 AM
Knight of the East and West

Default Re: Priestman Beaver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powerfab View Post

I'm not sure I'd like to be anywhere wet with those flat track pads. It would be a bit slick underfoot.

That looks in really good condition and a fairly straight forward restro!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
  #3   IP: 86.128.106.169
Old 09-05-2018, 08:50 PM
Knight of the Rose Croix of H.R.D.M

Location: Druid central, just East of Pandy, Nr. Abergavenny, S. Wales, UK, 3rd rock from the Sun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powerfab View Post

jeezus Boyo ... Norwich is bad enough ..... soddin' great pond between me and that
'Tis nice though, but I doubt the listed price is what he really wants for it.

was eyeballing some pix of a nice Priestman for sale, a week or so ago ... bit bigger than that though - if that was this side of the water
  #4   IP: 86.128.106.169
Old 09-05-2018, 08:51 PM

Location: Druid central, just East of Pandy, Nr. Abergavenny, S. Wales, UK, 3rd rock from the Sun

Quote:
Originally Posted by cps140 View Post
That looks in really good condition and a fairly straight forward restro!
I'd say that's in remarkable condition Aiden .... can you hide it from the missus
  #5   IP: 85.255.233.166
Old 09-05-2018, 09:41 PM
Knight of the East and West

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8Druid View Post
I'd say that's in remarkable condition Aiden .... can you hide it from the missus
Just looked and it's only about 20 mile from me shit I'm tempted to have a look

I can hide it in the yard ok.... Just tell her it's the old mans

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
  #6   IP: 86.128.106.169
Old 09-05-2018, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cps140 View Post
Just looked and it's only about 20 mile from me shit I'm tempted to have a look

I can hide it in the yard ok.... Just tell her it's the old mans
it's got your name all over it

bet that's as rare as hen's teeth
  #7   IP: 81.129.224.46
Old 10-05-2018, 07:22 AM
Knight of the East

Cheap enough too...

Get it brought Aide.

"IT'S ALL DOWN TO YOUR OWN SITUATION."
  #8   IP: 86.128.106.169
Old 10-05-2018, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD450A View Post
Cheap enough too...

Get it brought Aide.
really can't see that being bought for the advertised hundred quid Rory .... gorra be a misprint ...

if that's really available for that figure it'd be worth the effort of making it happen
  #9   IP: 95.148.190.21
Old 11-05-2018, 11:51 AM
Perfect Master

Back in '77 I actually drove one of these loading tile works waste for farm roads. This one is a long & wide track build, as the tracks on mine were much narrower. From memory the boom / dipper /bucket were hydraulic from 3 piano style levers BUT all the slew / travel were mech drive like a normal Cub.
There was an engine clutch to start up & for emergencies, a directional clutch lever - this could be shifted via a 'travel - swing selector' to slew or tracking, a steering lever to declutch either track (when stationary) & a 'digging lock' / handbrake. The pump was a noisy Vickers vane model - you could hear it across the valley whining - It was said to be easier for me to master than the Wolf dragline.
I gather there were some that were totally hydraulic with track motors, as was the 3 RB. Ours used to be known as the 'Hydro Cub' in the yard, so perhaps the Beaver is the fully hydraulic model, do not know, was 41 years ago. On the tip only the occasional Bedford Tipper or ag tractor trailer turned up each day - but I was only being paid 18 per week so no matter! Was powered by a Dorman - Came on here to ask about welding but could not resist this - memories
  #10   IP: 86.128.106.169
Old 11-05-2018, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Operator View Post
Back in '77 I actually drove one of these loading tile works waste for farm roads. This one is a long & wide track build, as the tracks on mine were much narrower. From memory the boom / dipper /bucket were hydraulic from 3 piano style levers BUT all the slew / travel were mech drive like a normal Cub.
There was an engine clutch to start up & for emergencies, a directional clutch lever - this could be shifted via a 'travel - swing selector' to slew or tracking, a steering lever to declutch either track (when stationary) & a 'digging lock' / handbrake. The pump was a noisy Vickers vane model - you could hear it across the valley whining - It was said to be easier for me to master than the Wolf dragline.
I gather there were some that were totally hydraulic with track motors, as was the 3 RB. Ours used to be known as the 'Hydro Cub' in the yard, so perhaps the Beaver is the fully hydraulic model, do not know, was 41 years ago. On the tip only the occasional Bedford Tipper or ag tractor trailer turned up each day - but I was only being paid 18 per week so no matter! Was powered by a Dorman - Came on here to ask about welding but could not resist this - memories
now you say it ...... that does look like a 'Cub' cab
I'd say this is mechanical drive .... can just make out the drive chain in pic 2 and it has chain tensioners in the undercarriage, as well as the track tensioners, on the idlers.
slew / drive'd be a right PITA to get about with
I assume from your comment "stationary" that the drive/steering was via dog clutches

You'd know you'd done a day in that old girl