The British Construction Equipment Forum  

Go Back   The British Construction Equipment Forum > EXTRAS > Links

#291   IP: 86.180.57.109
Old 09-09-2013, 11:06 AM
Intendant of the Building

Default Re: Wey and Arun Canal

Hi Graham,
No Mig involved here, all stick. Pipes can be cut with gas in this situation, hence the pic. In this type of application the x-ray is done by a robotic creeper whilst the pipe is still open. The pig is used to flush the pipe. Think I have posted this pic previously, but pig(s) below.
Tom
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pipelines cont 041 (2).jpg (95.0 KB, 32 views)
  #292   IP: 86.180.57.109
Old 09-09-2013, 11:21 AM
Intendant of the Building

Welding rig generally consists of something along the lines of a D4-6 size tractor with front mounted hiab to carry welding tent and leads, a big genny, compressor and a few 400A+ arc welders. Can't find a pic of a tractor, but here's the boys on that tie-in. Note 2 of them, top and bottom, following each other round. Apologies for pic quality.
Tom
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pipeline cont 052.jpg (92.0 KB, 36 views)
  #293   IP: 81.135.131.114
Old 09-09-2013, 11:41 AM
Knight of the Rose Croix of H.R.D.M

Location: Druid central, just East of Pandy, Nr. Abergavenny, S. Wales, UK, 3rd rock from the Sun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exc@v8 View Post
Hi Graham,
No Mig involved here, all stick. Pipes can be cut with gas in this situation, hence the pic. In this type of application the x-ray is done by a robotic creeper whilst the pipe is still open. The pig is used to flush the pipe. Think I have posted this pic previously, but pig(s) below.
Tom
Hi Tom,

Thanks for the pic. and info..
We've had several pipelines through our parts over the years, the earliest being McAlpines in the early 70's, with a Nat. gas line. (There're still a few D9s in the bog up at Llangynidr moor, they failed to recover)
One of the most recent was gas again and got involved with support for the main welding contractor Lynx Pipeline Welding.
They were pioneering a robotic 'strap on' mig head system which worked very well 90% of the time. Built 'em a lot of 'saddle' working shelters, which literally sat over the prepped joints and enclosed the process. (I'll try and find some pic.s to put up - fascinating idea).
They hung off a boom on a crawler, with the heads inside 'em, the power sources, gas tanks, etc on't crawler and everything 'fed in' on umbilicals.

They had some IMPRESSIVE pipe end hydraulic machining mills for chamfering and cutting with (talking 1200+ pipe) also hung on booms.

Orlando Thomas was the head honcho's name, who signed the cheques, American outfit and a fella by the name of Pete Cotter had the unenviable task of keeping everything running smoothly.
He had his own chair and mug in our 'tea room', as he was in and out like the tide, at my shop!!

As I recall, it all ended badly as the gas suppliers (who shall remain nameless, but everyone'll know 'em) weren't coming up with the purity required and joints were ending up with deep porosity and having to be re-done, too frequently, plus of course by the time they'd been x-rayed they might be 5 or 6 joints further up the spread and backtracking was a pain in the a*se.

Shelters ended up as just that, for stick boys to work comfortably in, out the crap. They never had it so good.
Pic.s may take a while to find as they're pre-digital.

Big pipeline work's a whole different league/world though, eh??

Graham

Last edited by V8Druid; 09-09-2013 at 11:43 AM.
  #294   IP: 86.47.17.16
Old 05-05-2015, 01:18 PM
Perfect Master

Thatís a brilliant read Rob!

I can't add anything that hasn't been said already, but fair play to you and everyone involved.
It's great to see the amount of good nature there is in people, all wanting to leave something good behind them for later generations.

I see you've utilised some members skills and services too

Work done on a voluntary basis is a great way to bring a community together. Thereís still is a lot of it done around here, but health and safety and insurance stipulations have forced anything remotely big to be put out to tender. Of course it has to be that way, but I miss the days when you could just provide a digger and get a few boys together with tractors and trailers or some such and not have to over think the situation.

Everything from the lock brickwork to the repair on the boom of the Case,
was very interesting and extremely well presented by your good self.

Obviously I'd love to see more if you ever get the time.

Thanks
Tony.