The British Construction Equipment Forum  

Go Back   The British Construction Equipment Forum > EXTRAS > Links

#11   IP: 95.149.42.219
Old 04-01-2010, 10:21 PM
Grand Master Architect

Location: if my partner had her way down the field with bigdog
Default Re: Wey and Arun Canal

looking back i seem to remember the milkman was very brainy back when my partner was expecting explains a lot now
  #12   IP: 195.93.21.34
Old 04-01-2010, 10:23 PM
Knight of the Rose Croix of H.R.D.M

well clever enough not to get caught eh !!!
  #13   IP: 90.193.135.221
Old 07-01-2010, 09:51 PM
Prince of Jerusalem

Quote:
Originally Posted by d4c24a View Post
i would like to see more pictures on the canal if you have any
OOps! I have hundreds I will try and make it intresting though.

For many years the major obstacle preventing movement north from Loxwood had been Loxwood High St, actually a B road but on a grade and curve with no chance of an arched bridge to take the road over the canal due to lack of headroom.

The decision was made to lower the canal, get under the road, then build a new lock to raise the water back to the original level.

piles 2.jpg Looking North, canal crosses at far end of Heras fence to infront of the parked red 4x4. 10/05

piles 6.jpg The old canal bed will become the new water level 10/05 It was drained to allow a piling rig access.

piles 8.jpg Piling has been done to retain the left bank. Refilling with water for winter Santa cruises. 11/05

pound 003.jpg Sept/06 Bulk earthworks done to lower the canal, exposing the piles installed last year.

loxwoodcopings0711.jpg How it looked in June 07.

to be continued.

Rotation excavation across the Nation.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by AtlasRob; 07-01-2010 at 09:57 PM.
  #14   IP: 95.147.185.194
Old 08-01-2010, 09:59 PM

thanks rob
i would think that is satisfying work when you Finnish a section
i may pop over that way one weekend for a look
cheers graham

life is hard , but its harder if you're stupid
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
  #15   IP: 195.93.21.34
Old 09-01-2010, 10:03 AM

Rob how come the old canal is so full of soil has it been backfilled ?
How do you dig it, from floating plant or the banks also what happens to all the spoil. I'd love a job like that, we run long reach machines and have some A25C dumptrucks with floatation tyres, would be ideal for work like that by the looks,
  #16   IP: 90.193.135.221
Old 09-01-2010, 02:04 PM
Prince of Jerusalem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traxcavator. View Post
The canal wasn't used for over 100yrs so many places are just a dish in a field, other sections have over 50yrs growth of trees in them. Some locks have trees literally growing in them. Many locks just dont exist now.

It is important to remember that not all land owners are in favour of reinstatement of the canal and we cannot get access to some sections...........Yet

The whole thing is voluntery funded, no government or lottery funding. Money comes from public donations.
An amasing amount of good will from landowners, companies who provide assistance with printing costs etc.
Harwoods Group http://www.harwoods.uk.com/ provide a long wheelbase landrover. All we do is fuel it.
John Verrall, earthworks, now Penfold Verralls has for a long time been a great supporter, providing machines and assistance at negligable cost when he can and at very competetive costs when its a job requiring a price.

The pictures I posted showing the lowering of the canal ( bulk earthworks ) was done to lower the original canal in order for us to get under the Loxwood High St. Up until that time that section of canal had water in it and is the main operational centre of the trip boats.

This is the lead up to and the Grand opening in 2009 following the, 1) building of the New Lock,
2) Lowering of the pound ( section beside the Onslow Arms Public House ) and associated works at Brewhurst Lock.
3) Construction of the bridge ( tunnel) under Loxwood High St.

Twice yearly the Trust produce a flyer

http://www.weyandarun.co.uk/wacn0811.pdf

http://www.weyandarun.co.uk/wacn0906.pdf

#17   IP: 90.193.135.221
Old 09-01-2010, 02:28 PM
Prince of Jerusalem

Quote:
The canal has been filled in sections at Bramley, the north end near Guildford and is very unlikely to ever go through there on its original route.

Plans and consultation is on going to work out a solution that will be to everybodys satisfaction.
As I remind visitors during our working Sundays when they ask how long will it take?

There are 10 locks to build between Loxwood and the Summit at Dunsfold.
IF!!!! we completed a lock every 2yrs ( not a hope in hell without winning the lottery and even then a major project) that will take another 20yrs just to get to Dunsfold.!!!! and people worry about the landowners who wont give access.

IF!! we had unlimited access and support from landowners we have not got the money or resources to work on all the route. At the moment it kind of self regulates, controlled by, 1) funding, 2) access, 3) resourses.
Slowly,slowly catchy monkey, as the saying goes.

The thing that every well wisher but non believer said was, You will NEVER cross Loxwood High St. Many supporters in council and Government said the same. It is NOT POSSIBLE.

We have just crossed Loxwood High Street.

The biggest voluntry funded project in the UK to date I believe. 1.9m

Last edited by AtlasRob; 09-01-2010 at 02:34 PM. Reason: tried a map, didnt work,
  #18   IP: 123.211.195.217
Old 09-01-2010, 02:34 PM
Knight of the East

Hi Atlasrob ,You must be very proud of what you and all the other volunteers have achieved with this project . Well done mate . ian .
  #19   IP: 90.193.135.221
Old 09-01-2010, 03:09 PM
Prince of Jerusalem

Quote:
Originally Posted by d4c24a View Post
thanks rob
i may pop over that way one weekend for a look
You would be very welcome, bring your family and walking boots and have a stroll in the countryside or even a canal trip. Finish with lunch in the Onslow Arms.

http://www.onslowarmsloxwood.co.uk/_...t/default.aspx

Quote:
How do you dig it, from floating plant or the banks also what happens to all the spoil.
Sorry Traxcavator I never really answered your question.

The major earthworks to lower the pound was done with a 360 and 3 ADT's.
The canal was drained so nothing special in the plant department.
We got permission to loose the muck over a field about a mile further north. That became a mission as instead of just dozing the topsoil off it had to be stripped with a 360 with an archieologist in attendace, more ruddy expense.

Still a darn sight cheaper than trucking it to a tip which would have made the whole operation too expensive.

The next section needs cleaning out now. About 1000m in length. A lot of it only wants a few inches of silt out which we intend to loose in a landscape, reprofiling exercise.

We can drain the water out, provided it stops snowing or raining. Then I hope to put the 4 1/2t Hanix in the bottom to scrape the far bank, from water level to the bottom. I can then reach with the Case CX130 sitting on the towpath to load it away in the dumper while also hopefully tidying the nearside bank and loosing some muck in the proccess.
Thats the plan!!! as they say.

Getting rid of muck is and will be a major problem as we procceed but anybody who plays with the stuff knows that already.

Last year the trust bought this from the EA I believe.

dredge 3.jpg dredge 4.jpg dredge 5.jpg

grab 007.jpg I have fitted it with this grab.

It is going to be used to help maintain the parts of the canal that are now in use. Once it is worked out how to get the dredged muck out of the new ( to us) work boat. I feel another grab coming on for the CX130 .

#20   IP: 90.193.135.221
Old 09-01-2010, 03:19 PM
Prince of Jerusalem

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianoz. View Post
Hi Atlasrob ,You must be very proud of what you and all the other volunteers have achieved with this project . Well done mate . ian .
Thanks Ian. I am only a tiny cog in the wheel though.
It does renew your faith in human nature when you see what these folk have achieved. Some have been involved for over 20yrs. Me I'm only just beginning.

The organisation that goes into the running of the trip boats is mind boggling.
Consider that all are volunteers, many with other commitments. Then there is manning the information stand, a mobile display unit that goes to many weekend fairs shows etc, grass cutting, maintenance, publicity, liason with councils and planning departments etc it goes on and on.