The British Construction Equipment Forum  

Go Back   The British Construction Equipment Forum > EQUIPMENT > Technical Q&A

#11   IP: 213.205.198.50
Old 23-04-2016, 02:05 PM
Knight of the Rose Croix of H.R.D.M

Default Re: JCB532-120 Loadall gear fault

If it's a shuttle transmission it only has one clutch pack for forward/reverse and a four speed manual box does it not ?
  #12   IP: 31.50.124.64
Old 23-04-2016, 04:40 PM
Intendant of the Building

it's got the shuttle for forward/reverse but is a powershift transmission as in the gears are on the shuttle lever, you select them by turning the shuttle handle.
  #13   IP: 213.205.198.50
Old 23-04-2016, 04:55 PM

Ok so it's power shift, do you know if the solenoid valves are external ? Testing the power to the solenoids would be first step. Then apart from forward and reverse solenoids are more than one of the the others activated together to engage the gear required ? Next step is testing the coils and valves although I would suspect electrical faults. Check wirering for chaffing and plugs for bad connections.
  #14   IP: 86.174.114.206
Old 23-04-2016, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quattromike View Post
Don't mean to hijack this thread but we have a similar machine and yesterday 3rd and 4rth gears stopped working. 1st and 2nd work as normal but when you shift to 3rd it's like it goes to neutral, same in 4th. when you click back to 2nd away she goes again. I can hear the relays clicking in the fuse box for all gears but no go. I'm thinking (hoping) its an electrical fault and not serious gearbox problems. it just moves stuff around the yard and doesn't do much but would be lost without her. Any ideas where to start looking?
you could swap the plugs around on the gearbox and see , mine was like that and it needed the ecu

life is hard , but its harder if you're stupid
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
  #15   IP: 109.147.204.94
Old 02-05-2016, 12:36 PM
Prince of Jerusalem

Many of us use terminology without considering whether other folk understand what it is we're actually on about.

I'll be honest and say much of it goes above my head but do understand the basics of isolating valves and/or swapping contacts / coils/ valve units to test / prove a fault.

My Atlas 1705M lost 1st gear, my Hydrema would inadvertently loose 2nd gear both issues were traced back to the solenoid valve.

With the Atlas we found a tiny bit of swarf jamming the internal piston. On the Hydrema we could see no obvious problem but simply changing over the screw in unit solved it.
It may have been a bad coil, dodgy electrical connection or something else.

This is the bit that was changed on the Hydrema and to all intense & purposes of this post its the same as the Atlas unit and almost certainly similar to many other types of plant.

Note two electrical connections which individually act on a coil to move the innards back and forth to align the different ports within the valve block to allow oil to flow where required.

Hopefully it makes sense and might help somebody.

I should add that the big knurlly looking lump on the right hand end is indeed a nut that when undone allows the two black lumps (coils) to be slid off.

DSC_0684a.jpg

Rotation excavation across the Nation.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
  #16   IP: 81.151.169.77
Old 02-05-2016, 12:49 PM

Location: Druid central, just East of Pandy, Nr. Abergavenny, S. Wales, UK, 3rd rock from the Sun

Very interesting pic that Rob
Not seen a double acting solenoid valve like that 'un before and pleased to say there ain't any on mine
Looks expensive

I take it that's on/off -/- open/close each way, not proportional control?

Least with the Cetop type set up it's pretty easy to see what does what, coil-wise, but that's a very compact set up
  #17   IP: 109.147.204.94
Old 02-05-2016, 01:23 PM
Prince of Jerusalem

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8Druid View Post
Very interesting pic that Rob

I take it that's on/off -/- open/close each way, not proportional control?
Not 100% sure to be honest. My understanding is it selects 1st or 2nd or if you prefer, high or low, how that computes to allow gear changes within the box I have no idea or have I got it completely wrong and thats forward / reverse either way, thats what got changed and not had a gear selection problem since.

#18   IP: 81.151.169.77
Old 02-05-2016, 08:43 PM

Location: Druid central, just East of Pandy, Nr. Abergavenny, S. Wales, UK, 3rd rock from the Sun

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlasRob View Post
Not 100% sure to be honest. My understanding is it selects 1st or 2nd or if you prefer, high or low, how that computes to allow gear changes within the box I have no idea or have I got it completely wrong and thats forward / reverse either way, thats what got changed and not had a gear selection problem since.
would you know if both coils have the same part no? Just wondering if it's a reverse throw, or a double throw on the shuttle......looking at it I'd be guessing a double throw, so may well be the same numbers.
  #19   IP: 213.205.252.187
Old 03-05-2016, 10:46 AM
Prince of Jerusalem

Been thinking about this, could one coil be creep speed? Creep works in both high + low.
My understanding is a coil will shift something in valve then return by spring when electric signal cancelled, so no power =1 range, with power = 2nd range. Could second coil then be to switch creep gear in + out?

I suspect the coils are same.

We stripped Atlas one (by accident) neither of us realised the centre section was a removable part. Nearly sh*t ourselves when it popped out but made removing bit of swarf much easier

#20   IP: 81.151.169.77
Old 04-05-2016, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlasRob View Post
Been thinking about this, could one coil be creep speed? Creep works in both high + low.
My understanding is a coil will shift something in valve then return by spring when electric signal cancelled, so no power =1 range, with power = 2nd range. Could second coil then be to switch creep gear in + out?

I suspect the coils are same.

We stripped Atlas one (by accident) neither of us realised the centre section was a removable part. Nearly sh*t ourselves when it popped out but made removing bit of swarf much easier
My creep also works in 1 or 2 Rob but the solenoids are two separate units on my box .... I'd guess that that is a double throw ...... 1 coil takes it so far in then the second throws it an additional stroke ...... at a guess ....... so yes could well be as you say?

Tags
532-120, gears, jcb, loadall