The British Construction Equipment Forum  

Go Back   The British Construction Equipment Forum > EQUIPMENT > Innovations and New Technology

#1   IP: 31.52.88.167
Old 05-01-2018, 08:14 PM
Knight of the Rose Croix of H.R.D.M

Location: Druid central, just East of Pandy, Nr. Abergavenny, S. Wales, UK, 3rd rock from the Sun
Wink Another interesting idea

"Cylinder redesign enhances hydraulic shear power"

Kinshoffer innovating again? .... or is it old tech, re-hashed?

I'm guessing a stepped piston set up, which'd achieve these sorts of improvements ... and not cost huge amounts to develop either

http://www.theconstructionindex.co.u...ylinder-design
  #2   IP: 86.152.187.92
Old 05-01-2018, 09:15 PM
Secret Master

Default Re: Another interesting idea

How does a stepped piston setup work? is there two pistons on the same rod with a oil feed to each giving double the power but less stroke
  #3   IP: 31.52.88.167
Old 06-01-2018, 12:21 AM
Knight of the Rose Croix of H.R.D.M

Location: Druid central, just East of Pandy, Nr. Abergavenny, S. Wales, UK, 3rd rock from the Sun

Quote:
Originally Posted by davedb View Post
How does a stepped piston setup work? is there two pistons on the same rod with a oil feed to each giving double the power but less stroke
I am only guessing here mind guys

here's a pic of a stepped piston combustion engine and I'm pretty sure some of the advantages and possibilities they provide could be tailored into improving a hydraulic linear actuator (or ram) and improving its efficiency and /or performance

#4   IP: 92.14.64.15
Old 06-01-2018, 08:39 PM
Knight of the East

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8Druid View Post
I am only guessing here mind guys

here's a pic of a stepped piston combustion engine and I'm pretty sure some of the advantages and possibilities they provide could be tailored into improving a hydraulic linear actuator (or ram) and improving its efficiency and /or performance

What a complicated load of bollocks that is with no gain as the surface area of the two pistons in the same cylinder is only the same as the larger one at the bottom in a hydraulic ram situation, I can see what they are doing with an engine though getting more air into the cylinder by pushing it in with a bigger cylinder (the bottom one) into the top

If you can't buy it build it
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by mogman; 06-01-2018 at 08:43 PM.
  #5   IP: 86.152.187.92
Old 06-01-2018, 09:19 PM
Secret Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by mogman View Post
What a complicated load of bollocks that is with no gain as the surface area of the two pistons in the same cylinder is only the same as the larger one at the bottom in a hydraulic ram situation, I can see what they are doing with an engine though getting more air into the cylinder by pushing it in with a bigger cylinder (the bottom one) into the top
Won’t it give more power in a hydraulic cylinder if it had a centre gland, basically set up like to rams pushing the same way as each other, one ram would have full surface area of the piston, the second ram (after the centre gland) would have the surface area of the piston minus the size of the rod to act on, I probably have t explained that very well
  #6   IP: 86.152.187.92
Old 06-01-2018, 09:43 PM
Secret Master

Hears a rough drawing of what I mean dunno if that picture will work