The British Construction Equipment Forum  

Go Back   The British Construction Equipment Forum > INDUSTRY MATTERS > Industry Chat

#1   IP: 92.28.255.210
Old 15-11-2017, 07:37 PM
Provost and Judge

Default C.i.t,b

Anyone else see Bircham Newton threatoned with closure.
BBC look East
  #2   IP: 88.111.99.174
Old 15-11-2017, 08:52 PM
Master Elect of Nine

Default Re: C.i.t,b

no but i see it on the eastern daily press website talk of moving it to peterbrough and then a load of mobile bods makes you wonder what they would do with the site if they did close it down

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
  #3   IP: 86.136.9.53
Old 16-11-2017, 10:29 AM
Knight of the Rose Croix of H.R.D.M

Location: Druid central, just East of Pandy, Nr. Abergavenny, S. Wales, UK, 3rd rock from the Sun

http://www.theconstructionindex.co.u...bircham-newton

well the industry gave 'em another 3 year mandate ..... and it'll be business as usual, BTLs, creaming as much money into a few select pockets, as possible and delivering f*** all where it's required

should have been scrapped

Last edited by V8Druid; 16-11-2017 at 10:34 AM.
  #4   IP: 213.78.124.22
Old 16-11-2017, 03:52 PM
Perfect Master

Just to add to the debate, you may not have seen this:

http://www.theconstructionindex.co.u...**-card-scheme

Speaking as one who is very keen to promote training, particularly from a safety point of view, I would be interested to know people's thoughts about what appears to be a fragmented approach to site competence.

Robert
  #5   IP: 86.136.9.53
Old 16-11-2017, 05:30 PM

Location: Druid central, just East of Pandy, Nr. Abergavenny, S. Wales, UK, 3rd rock from the Sun

Quote:
Originally Posted by EngconUK View Post
Just to add to the debate, you may not have seen this:

http://www.theconstructionindex.co.u...**-card-scheme

Speaking as one who is very keen to promote training, particularly from a safety point of view, I would be interested to know people's thoughts about what appears to be a fragmented approach to site competence.

Robert
and a little more

http://www.theconstructionindex.co.u...-now-available
  #6   IP: 5.254.163.144
Old 16-11-2017, 06:01 PM
Grand Master Architect

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8Druid View Post
There's no problem in my book with driving on spoil heaps. The major problem is inexperienced and just plain thick operators, both of diggers and dumpers.

It makes me cringe when I see people tracking up blade first with the jib right up high. They've got no fucking clue, despite tickets.
  #7   IP: 91.84.160.57
Old 16-11-2017, 07:44 PM
Master of the Ninth Arch

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8Druid View Post
In my opinion the 9 and 10t forward facing dumpers are dangerous. If you put a load on them you canít see where you are going. Having used a 10t hydrema adt style that is the way to go if you are serious about safety, but having looked at the debate no-one seems to be going with the obvious solution. Cabs, not driving in heaps are side issues compared with not being able to see where you are going. Also enforcing the wearing of seat belts would go a long way to stop operators being crushed in a roll over. If you canít try and jump clear you wonít get crushed, you will just be suspended in you seat by the belt.
Graham
  #8   IP: 86.136.9.53
Old 17-11-2017, 01:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doobin View Post
There's no problem in my book with driving on spoil heaps. The major problem is inexperienced and just plain thick operators, both of diggers and dumpers.

It makes me cringe when I see people tracking up blade first with the jib right up high. They've got no fucking clue, despite tickets.
nail ..... head ...... firmly walloped

Quote:
Originally Posted by grahams View Post
In my opinion the 9 and 10t forward facing dumpers are dangerous. If you put a load on them you canít see where you are going. Having used a 10t hydrema adt style that is the way to go if you are serious about safety, but having looked at the debate no-one seems to be going with the obvious solution. Cabs, not driving in heaps are side issues compared with not being able to see where you are going. Also enforcing the wearing of seat belts would go a long way to stop operators being crushed in a roll over. If you canít try and jump clear you wonít get crushed, you will just be suspended in you seat by the belt.
Graham
After several minutes on 'Wacker' earlier this year Gra I totally agree ... loaded you have no idea WTF you're going ..... I went backwards everywhere for weeks ... and there were no troops on the floor to worry about ... but 'twas the ONLY way to see .... and not end up in the lake .. ruts or no ruts to follow ... you have got to see

With the wheel t'other way round and some decent mirrors, Wacker'd have been some tool .... Alex did try to find a 'Drema, but couldn't find one available for the period required.

As for driving on heaps .......a certain degree of intelligence is required to achieve it safely, together with a level of respect for the gear and conditions.
regrettably your average dumper jockey can't spell his name let alone understand the above ... peanuts and monkeys
  #9   IP: 84.92.35.34
Old 18-11-2017, 05:28 AM
Knight of the East

All of it unfortunately are symptoms of a industry that has stopped listening observing and promoting the best men on the ground. This is a training issue primarily caused by the attitude that be it piloting a item of plant or wiping your arse there should be a set way to do it.

Bottom line is there is no blanket way to do it. 10T FTDs are fantastic bits of kit in the right places, with the right team around them. I fully agree that on long hauls a proper ADT or tractor trailer is a better way to go, but the visibility on those when reversing is far worse than a FTD is forwards... Even with all the mirrors off a vespa and a camera.

There are only two golden rules in my book with plant. And that is to segregate any people from machinery, and that each operator should be aware of exactly how many people are around them at any given time.

Training wise.... Forget it. It's a lost cause arse covering exercise with minimal learning value. The only way to make safe is to get people that know what there actually talking about to write the rule book instead of know nothing academics who look at statistics to identify a problem which far from being caused by the machine is actually caused by the operator, or site layout/machinery choice....

Lastly remember that the FTD is without a doubt the wolf in sheep's clothing of the plant world..... One of the few machines that takes a lot of skill to drive competently yet is driven often by the least experienced.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"IT'S ALL DOWN TO YOUR OWN SITUATION."
  #10   IP: 87.112.232.190
Old 18-11-2017, 09:44 AM
Master of the Ninth Arch

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD450A View Post
All of it unfortunately are symptoms of a industry that has stopped listening observing and promoting the best men on the ground. This is a training issue primarily caused by the attitude that be it piloting a item of plant or wiping your arse there should be a set way to do it.

Bottom line is there is no blanket way to do it. 10T FTDs are fantastic bits of kit in the right places, with the right team around them. I fully agree that on long hauls a proper ADT or tractor trailer is a better way to go, but the visibility on those when reversing is far worse than a FTD is forwards... Even with all the mirrors off a vespa and a camera.

There are only two golden rules in my book with plant. And that is to segregate any people from machinery, and that each operator should be aware of exactly how many people are around them at any given time.

Training wise.... Forget it. It's a lost cause arse covering exercise with minimal learning value. The only way to make safe is to get people that know what there actually talking about to write the rule book instead of know nothing academics who look at statistics to identify a problem which far from being caused by the machine is actually caused by the operator, or site layout/machinery choice....

Lastly remember that the FTD is without a doubt the wolf in sheep's clothing of the plant world..... One of the few machines that takes a lot of skill to drive competently yet is driven often by the least experienced.
So many valid points - The one and only way to do anything designed by people who don't know what you do is so true.
I recently put myself and one of my guys through an access platform course. Day started with a written test health and safety test. The level of about a ten year old. Every one in the room passed and I got 100%. We then spent the rest of the morning being "taught" the health and safety that was in the test, then retested at lunch time(with the same test) and amazingly enough we still passed. What a waste of time.
As you say, segregating pedestrians from mobile plant is the only safe way. How often on sites do you see people randomly wandering about?
I had assumed that making people have tickets to drive dumpers would have stopped the complete idiots as companies wouldn't put them through, but it doesn't seem to have had much effect. At least on the old style dumpers you could block off the gates to the higher gears, but with powershift they can go flat out everywhere. The trouble is stupid people are still stupid whether they have a ticket or not.
Graham