The British Construction Equipment Forum  

Go Back   The British Construction Equipment Forum > INDUSTRY MATTERS > Industry Chat

#11   IP: 88.111.141.127
Old 12-10-2012, 01:31 AM
Elect of Fifteen

Default Re: Best wet weather gear is....

How about one of these also available in yellow fiberglass
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_8807.jpg (93.1 KB, 47 views)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
  #12   IP: 81.132.10.209
Old 12-10-2012, 07:10 PM
Provost and Judge

Quote:
Originally Posted by BulldozerD11 View Post
How about one of these also available in yellow fiberglass
You calling me a Pig ?

Out of order that D11
  #13   IP: 217.44.99.200
Old 13-10-2012, 02:50 PM
Master Elect of Nine

Best waterproofs? sioen, helly hansen or guy cotten but you need to have a good budget lol.

Ive got a sioen jacket and bib and brace waterproof trousers, Some HH goretex trousers but the pocket got torn bad they were perfect tho. And some of the labourers have guy cotten bib and brace with matching jacket. Guy cotten is good enough for trawler men so good for groundworks.

The biggest problem i have is getting good boots, At the start of the year i bought a pair of Buckbootz basicly a muckboot but safety toes and sole plate, oil resistant blah blah. They are shit hot and can be rolled down to half height.

They're ment to be good to -20 too but i find in the snow or working in water the safety steel just saps your heat like any other boot.

I'll be importing mudmaster hi muckboots from the us next month to try out as i have an ambition to get the perfect footwear, once your feet are cold your knackered.

Underfloor heating in the cab? great idea....
  #14   IP: 195.93.21.71
Old 13-10-2012, 10:00 PM
Knight of the Rose Croix of H.R.D.M

Under floor heating and heated seats ... wooses !!!
V12 stampead dealers 60 quid and bullit proof only need two pairs a year...
  #15   IP: 109.155.158.102
Old 18-10-2012, 04:45 PM
Intendant of the Building

...two pairs of socks...
  #16   IP: 78.111.199.200
Old 06-02-2014, 11:32 AM

Does anyone know or what waterproofs would you buy for a gang of men that are tough, durable, actually water proof, not leaking at the seams or through stupid no need vent holes. Also, that are budget, as in around £20-£30 a set?

There are some cheap sets like Dickies but the stuff they're made from tears easy, then you get days off. A more rubberised waterproof would be far better.

Any ideas?

Personally for my self, guy cotten are the best. Can hand trench all day rubbing against the sides and never tear and last years.
  #17   IP: 2.29.11.31
Old 06-02-2014, 11:55 AM
Master of the Ninth Arch

I've found the steel toe cap Muck Boot the best boot for wet and cold. Keep you warm and very comfortable. Also you are allowed to wear them on sites that ban riggers.
I haven't had too much problem with the steel toe causing the whole boot to get cold, but I'm pretty sure you can get boots for working in freezers that have plastic protective toes. Was working with a bomb disposal lot a few years ago who had them for times they needed wellies as the steel toe caps kept registering on the metal detectors. The only trouble was they could only find them in white!
Graham
  #18   IP: 31.50.192.140
Old 06-02-2014, 12:10 PM
Knight of the Rose Croix of H.R.D.M

Location: Druid central, just East of Pandy, Nr. Abergavenny, S. Wales, UK, 3rd rock from the Sun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trench View Post
Does anyone know or what waterproofs would you buy for a gang of men that are tough, durable, actually water proof, not leaking at the seams or through stupid no need vent holes. Also, that are budget, as in around £20-£30 a set?

There are some cheap sets like Dickies but the stuff they're made from tears easy, then you get days off. A more rubberised waterproof would be far better.

Any ideas?

Personally for my self, guy cotten are the best. Can hand trench all day rubbing against the sides and never tear and last years.
If your gang is as tough and waterproof as they sound Trench, they probably don't need waterproofs!!!
  #19   IP: 188.31.11.47
Old 06-02-2014, 03:00 PM
Grand Master Architect

I like the Dickies padded coveralls, but as you say they're not that tough. Great for a careful guy who doesnt have to get out of the machine much (like me! )

Go for Buck Boots- a cheaper version of Muck Boots (much the same but not aimed at the horsey market!). The steel toe cap version is great.

For conditions like this, my only solution is multiple pairs of 'rubberised' trousers and coats. Log burner for the guys to hang them over back at the yard.

If you're got a Portacabin on site, then money spent on heating it and a complete change of clothes for your blokes at lunch time will pay dividends in productivity. The old set can dry whilst they do the afternoons work. Nothing like a complete change of clothes in a heated environment to boost morale.

If it's really tough conditions (brambles etc) then wax trousers and jackets are the only way to go but are heavy and cumbersome.

If anyone else has the holy grail of waterproofing, please do share. This is a shit season all right!
  #20   IP: 81.135.92.246
Old 06-02-2014, 03:27 PM
Knight of the East

The Holy Grail is a works truck with a diesel heater/dryer.... Also pays divedens for drying ratchet straps/ropes.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

" "It's not just for money alone that one spends a lifetime building up a business…. It's to preserve a way of life that one knew and loved. No, I can't see my way to selling out to the new vested interests, Mr. Jorkin. I'll have to be loyal to the old ways and die out with them if needs must" - Mr Fezziewig, 1721 - Fuck knows dickens never told me.