The British Construction Equipment Forum  

Go Back   The British Construction Equipment Forum > INDUSTRY MATTERS > Industry Chat


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #11   IP: 92.28.204.137
Old 18-08-2017, 09:26 PM
Mintsauce's Avatar
Mintsauce Mintsauce is offline
Master of the Ninth Arch
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: In the Grub Hut
Posts: 1,529
Default Re: Citb ..... Omg .... !! part II

While I don't generally like this type of tech I can see there might be an advantage in you not needing to have the actual machine at the "virtual" test site. If you are looking for a simple blue or red card producing exercise for otherwise experienced ops for example. For greenhorns its a total no hoper I would expect.

People who fly use a combination of virtual and actual tutored time in the aircraft don't they?

In the case where I would need to present my own truck mounted crane for example, I'd be happy to use one of these?
__________________
One Wife, Livid.
Reply With Quote
  #12   IP: 5.81.238.247
Old 18-08-2017, 09:34 PM
hiluxman hiluxman is offline
Elect of Fifteen
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 731
Default Re: Citb ..... Omg .... !! part II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mintsauce View Post
While I don't generally like this type of tech I can see there might be an advantage in you not needing to have the actual machine at the "virtual" test site. If you are looking for a simple blue or red card producing exercise for otherwise experienced ops for example. For greenhorns its a total no hoper I would expect.

People who fly use a combination of virtual and actual tutored time in the aircraft don't they?

In the case where I would need to present my own truck mounted crane for example, I'd be happy to use one of these?

Yes but they use a simulator costing millions (sorry don't know exactly figure) and citb look to be using a few screens on a desk with a joystick, 2 totally different things.

As for testing of experienced then I'd rather be evaluated on the actual thing not sat at a desk.

I cannot see how virtual reality can be used to pass actual reality.

As druid has said it's all money generation with the actual ability to do the job second.
__________________
If in doubt hit it.
Reply With Quote
  #13   IP: 86.139.112.55
Old 18-08-2017, 09:37 PM
V8Druid's Avatar
V8Druid V8Druid is online now
Knight of the Rose Croix of H.R.D.M
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Druid central, just East of Pandy, Nr. Abergavenny, S. Wales, UK, 3rd rock from the Sun
Posts: 14,731
Default Re: Citb ..... Omg .... !! part II

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiluxman View Post
Yes but they use a simulator costing millions (sorry don't know exactly figure) and citb look to be using a few screens on a desk with a joystick, 2 totally different things.

As for testing of experienced then I'd rather be evaluated on the actual thing not sat at a desk.

I cannot see how virtual reality can be used to pass actual reality.

As druid has said it's all money generation with the actual ability to do the job second.
THAT high up the priority list .... very doubtful Boyo
__________________
If it's got tracks, wheels, t*ts, or an engine, at some point it's gonna give you trouble!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote
  #14   IP: 92.28.204.137
Old 18-08-2017, 10:18 PM
Mintsauce's Avatar
Mintsauce Mintsauce is offline
Master of the Ninth Arch
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: In the Grub Hut
Posts: 1,529
Default Re: Citb ..... Omg .... !! part II

Yes agree they're shafting everyone. I just see it as another hoop to jump through, so happy if they make it as convenient as possible. This means I don't need to supply the machine which could mean a 50 mile round trip with it. Also no need to round up several colleagues to help spread the cost of this exercise?

Don't get me wrong. No Nintendo toy is going to make a difference to me. Its just another hoop, more time off work and time spent arranging what I see as an inconvenience.
__________________
One Wife, Livid.
Reply With Quote
  #15   IP: 91.125.242.207
Old 19-08-2017, 12:17 AM
grahams grahams is offline
Master of the Ninth Arch
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Southampton
Posts: 1,847
Default Re: Citb ..... Omg .... !! part II

I think we are confusing getting a CITB ticket and being a machine operator rather than a seat filler. If the simulator is any good it will be able to teach people the basics in safety, but it won't replicate real life doing non standard jobs in old machines in bad conditions surrounded by idiots.
I'm sure it will be another excuse to rip everyone off for even more money though.
Graham
Reply With Quote
  #16   IP: 185.69.145.213
Old 19-08-2017, 08:44 AM
smiffy smiffy is offline
Provost and Judge
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 200
Default Re: Citb ..... Omg .... !! part II

Is this not a way to solve what was mentioned in the other thread that alot of accidents occur due to the operator not knowing the controls
This setup is perfect to teach muscle memory of the controls nothing else simulators have been used for ages to teach forestry operators this and it is perfect as should stop people moving the stick in the wrong direction on there first day which im sure everyone dod at some point daay one
Reply With Quote
  #17   IP: 86.138.20.26
Old 19-08-2017, 09:28 AM
JD450A's Avatar
JD450A JD450A is offline
Knight of the East
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Not really sure
Posts: 4,982
Default Re: Citb ..... Omg .... !! part II

Quote:
Originally Posted by smiffy View Post
Is this not a way to solve what was mentioned in the other thread that alot of accidents occur due to the operator not knowing the controls
Fine if your teaching ISO or SAE, but completely and utterly useless to teach anything else.
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"IT'S ALL DOWN TO YOUR OWN SITUATION."
Reply With Quote
  #18   IP: 90.253.94.233
Old 19-08-2017, 11:20 AM
smiffy smiffy is offline
Provost and Judge
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 200
Default Re: Citb ..... Omg .... !! part II

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD450A View Post
Fine if your teaching ISO or SAE, but completely and utterly useless to teach anything else.
That is another problem entirely and tbh machines that dont follow and industry standard are dangerous
Like telehandlers ive sat in 2 near identical machines with different controls out the factory
Or kramer where all the buttons on the joystick are different to everybody else

And its still a problem that a simulator can help with just to teach you the muscle memory
Reply With Quote
  #19   IP: 213.205.253.49
Old 19-08-2017, 01:21 PM
komatsu's Avatar
komatsu komatsu is offline
Knight of the East
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: york
Posts: 3,006
Default Re: Citb ..... Omg .... !! part II

https://www.atlascopco.com/en-au/mrb...ng-goes-global
__________________
If you've got the muck,We've got the duck
Reply With Quote
  #20   IP: 213.205.253.49
Old 19-08-2017, 01:24 PM
komatsu's Avatar
komatsu komatsu is offline
Knight of the East
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: york
Posts: 3,006
Default Re: Citb ..... Omg .... !! part II

Quote:
Originally Posted by smiffy View Post
Like telehandlers ive sat in 2 near identical machines with different controls out the factory
That's more than likely down to the fact that one is an agricultural spec one and the other a construction spec one.
__________________
If you've got the muck,We've got the duck
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

 
Partner Links



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 07:50 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.