The British Construction Equipment Forum  

Go Back   The British Construction Equipment Forum > INDUSTRY MATTERS > Industry Chat

#1   IP: 5.81.238.178
Old 16-10-2017, 08:48 PM
Elect of Fifteen

Default Groundworks gang

Out of curiosity what would a groundworks gang of 2 with tools ect go out for on day rate?

This is slightly out of the normal for us as we are mainly operated plant hire based and when we have done groundworks it's all been price work.

I've worked out my costing to put a team on day rate but it's great to get a comparison. Ie no point in selling ourselves short.

Ps don't forget we are in a very tight place called Yorkshire.
  #2   IP: 79.75.90.27
Old 16-10-2017, 09:16 PM
Sublime Master Elected

Default Re: Groundworks gang

300 a day......
  #3   IP: 86.138.19.11
Old 17-10-2017, 08:43 AM
Knight of the East

For a Two man dig team that's going to graft and barrow all day I'd want £300 per day, £100 for each man and £100 to cover tools, insurance, etc.

For a Two man team, with Van, Tools, And all the other gear that can turn there hands to any groundworks to a professional standard i'd wack it up between £400 and 500. or £250 a day for each man.

Of course there is a reason we stick to plant.... It's hard to find grafters, I've been toying with the idea of a two man dig team for a while as there's places where it's the Only way locally and no one is really doing it... but the logistics and costs of running it and keeping two men busy outweigh the gains for me.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

" "It's not just for money alone that one spends a lifetime building up a business…. It's to preserve a way of life that one knew and loved. No, I can't see my way to selling out to the new vested interests, Mr. Jorkin. I'll have to be loyal to the old ways and die out with them if needs must" - Mr Fezziewig, 1721 - Fuck knows dickens never told me.
  #4   IP: 82.29.51.47
Old 17-10-2017, 09:55 AM
Grand Master Architect

£100 a day per man really cant leave much profit ?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow us on Twitter

Follow us on Facebook
  #5   IP: 5.254.163.144
Old 17-10-2017, 11:40 AM
Grand Master Architect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regy53 View Post
£100 a day per man really cant leave much profit ?
It would be £150 per man really, if they're not doing much more than shovelling and barrowing as Rory says, then not many tools needed. If you're paying them £80 a day there's a margin.

At the other end of his scale, you'd struggle to get £250 a man on day rate regardless of how skilled they are. To get £250 a day you'd need to price the jobs.
  #6   IP: 5.81.238.178
Old 17-10-2017, 05:54 PM
Elect of Fifteen

Thanks for the replys guys, You've all sort of confirmed I'm not for off with my workings out.

I was thinking 150 a man then add tools and cost of van ect

I can only go in at above what covers us, any less well....that's just daft isn't it

It's not something I'm wanting to be involved with full time but in this instance the customer is doing the full site supply so at least it's less a hassle of forking out materials and we can keep other jobs running.
  #7   IP: 86.135.103.252
Old 17-10-2017, 08:01 PM
Knight of the Rose Croix of H.R.D.M

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiluxman View Post
Thanks for the replys guys, You've all sort of confirmed I'm not for off with my workings out.

I was thinking 150 a man then add tools and cost of van ect

I can only go in at above what covers us, any less well....that's just daft isn't it

It's not something I'm wanting to be involved with full time but in this instance the customer is doing the full site supply so at least it's less a hassle of forking out materials and we can keep other jobs running.
usually £300 for a two man gang 60/40 split , then tools van etc on top

life is hard , but its harder if you're stupid
  #8   IP: 213.205.198.143
Old 18-10-2017, 08:27 AM
Grand Master Architect

how long do the gangs work for a day? £80 a day is not far above min wage crazy..

Follow us on Twitter

Follow us on Facebook
  #9   IP: 5.254.163.144
Old 18-10-2017, 08:38 AM
Grand Master Architect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regy53 View Post
how long do the gangs work for a day? £80 a day is not far above min wage crazy..
In Rory's first (£150 a day charge out) example, they were shovelling and barrowing. For an 8 hour day that's £10 an hour for unskilled work. Much more than they'd get in Tescos.
  #10   IP: 82.10.225.154
Old 18-10-2017, 02:34 PM
Provost and Judge

With the min wage always going, up at £10 an hour it's not a great deal more. Some shelf stackers are on £9 hour