The British Construction Equipment Forum  

Go Back   The British Construction Equipment Forum > EQUIPMENT > Technical Q&A

#11   IP: 31.52.88.164
Old 04-04-2018, 10:07 AM
Knight of the Rose Croix of H.R.D.M

Location: Druid central, just East of Pandy, Nr. Abergavenny, S. Wales, UK, 3rd rock from the Sun
Default Re: Servo accumulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by EngconUK View Post
We use them on our advanced hitch control system to give an independent hydraulic supply when we override the digger controls.

TBH, I wouldn't see them as an alternative to a check valve to (for example) hold the boom up (as opposed to letting it down - as Aiden says) in the event of a hydraulic failure - the check valve will do this perfectly well for a fraction of the cost. They will smooth out functions, but - as far as I understand the operations of these things - they give you 'instant hydraulic pressure'. Quite a few machines have load sensing for steering or other functions and an accumulator provides the instant response while the engine and pump comes up to speed.

HTH

regards

Robert
Exactly Robert - " they .. provide a consistent pressure availability " no drop in pressure between the moment the control is operated and the pump catches up, with the dip in pressure, caused by 'opening' the circuit.

As for "holding the boom up" ... a closed circuit should / would do this, in the event of engine failure .... having the 'reservoir' of pressure available to the servo circuit, allows the spool to be operated and the boom lowered, provided any check valves are servo operated.

If they're 'balanced' valves, I can't see that they'd open, without a balance of pressure, either side of them, to allow the shuttle to bleed off and open.
  #12   IP: 109.150.251.21
Old 12-04-2018, 07:15 PM

Default Re: Servo accumulator

Hi folks they can be very handy when changing over attachments to release line pressure at quick release couplings,we had problems with changing out grabs and so just my view
chrisj