The British Construction Equipment Forum  

Go Back   The British Construction Equipment Forum > EXTRAS > Classifieds

#1   IP: 81.174.242.105
Old 08-08-2017, 09:56 AM
Intimate Secretary

Default FS lathe, mill, drill, grinder

This is actually just one machine, an Adcock & Shipley Universal Machine tool, best place to start is

http://www.lathes.co.uk/adcock&shipl...ion/index.html

for a description. It is the smaller of the two machines featured.

Dates from the mid 1950's and made for the submarine support vessels, according to the story.

You get a reasonable lathe, geared head, screwcutting, power feeds; a really nice horizontal and vertical mill with int40 spindle, geared head, power feeds; a pillar drill with mt2 spindle and a cracking universal grinder for tool & cutter, surface, cylinderical grinding with powered tool head.

It is not a large machine regarding work size, anything much over 12" or so on the largest dimension and you will be struggling.

I bought this a few years ago coz I fancied some model engineering in my dotage, unfortunately the seller of the castings has decided to run off with my money, 2300, and I can't face the legal hassles to get it back, so the A&S is redundant.

The machine was bought from another model engineer who had done it up, made a nice job, but it was missing all the grinder parts. I had also bought one of these machines years ago, missing most of the lathe but the grinder is complete. I have just scrapped my machine, keeping the mill and drill, and all the grinder parts have been combined with the machine to make a near complete tool. The only known irritating parts missng are the change gears, there is a screwcutting gearbox but there are an extension and metric set missing.

There are also all sorts of odds and ends, always fancied a universal grinder so collected bits like wheel centres, inside attachment, loads of grinding wheels etc. These are off of J&S, Cincinnati etc so won't fit, but you never know.

The A&S is located at Sutton on Sea, retirement! Will need some serious lifting gear to load, I have nothing to help over there. It was delivered by a company called Landylift, Steve Cox, so no doubt he could shift it again.

This is just to wet anyone's appetite, obviously I can post whatever info anyone wants. I am looking for 1500, cheap for a real piece of engineering, weighs about 2.1/2 tonnes, but it is small!
  #2   IP: 81.151.174.255
Old 08-08-2017, 03:19 PM
Knight of the Rose Croix of H.R.D.M

Location: Druid central, just East of Pandy, Nr. Abergavenny, S. Wales, UK, 3rd rock from the Sun
Default Re: FS lathe, mill, drill, grinder

hell that's a lump OC

biggest draw back I can see with that set up is it needs to be in the middle of a largish foot print, to be able to work all around it as is admitted to in the link ...
"the machine's one great disadvantage, the generous working space required on all four sides counting against it. "

"the smaller (machine) occupying a footprint of only 7 ft. by 3 ft. " .... plus operator space

Have to admit, I've never seen one, though not surprising ...
" It is rumoured that only twenty-four of the smaller type were made "
so if you had two ..... that's quite an achievement