The British Construction Equipment Forum  

Go Back   The British Construction Equipment Forum > EQUIPMENT > Construction Equipment

#6451   IP: 194.75.83.175
Old 19-04-2018, 11:23 PM
Provost and Judge

Default Re: Druid’s New Duck – ’99 Hydrema-Wiemar M1500

Funny how things get lost in translation..
I’ve always known the expression as a “Heath. Robinson” idea.

Never knew I was wrong or where the expression came from.
  #6452   IP: 86.128.106.169
Old 19-04-2018, 11:28 PM
Knight of the Rose Croix of H.R.D.M

Location: Druid central, just East of Pandy, Nr. Abergavenny, S. Wales, UK, 3rd rock from the Sun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powerfab View Post
Funny how things get lost in translation..
I’ve always known the expression as a “Heath. Robinson” idea.

Never knew I was wrong or where the expression came from.
you're far from wrong Boyo .... if it's a bit 'heath' .... it's usually way out/wacky or damned nigh on impossible / defies all reason

Google him for his artwork ..... some masterpieces of 'lateral thinking'
  #6453   IP: 86.128.106.169
Old 20-04-2018, 12:42 AM

Location: Druid central, just East of Pandy, Nr. Abergavenny, S. Wales, UK, 3rd rock from the Sun

well between the grand-dadly duties today ......

it got gusset-ed up

cleaned off/de-spattered .... and a coat of shiny sh1t after tea

Phone call this afters ..... me mate the tree surgeon ..... "got any room for some more?"

"Aye fetch it up Clive"

first load

second load

and got about a dozen discs split up after the paint brush got cleaned.

give the bag lifter a try out in the a.m., to get those three bags out the way, sharpen Charlie's chain ....... and go again !!!

Clive saw the bag lifter on the bench and said "ooh, a bag lifter - how much to make me one of them? .. just what I want "

there could be some barter negotiations coming up!!
  #6454   IP: 86.128.106.169
Old 21-04-2018, 12:19 AM

been busy lopping and chopping all day

spent way too long stood in the sun today ....
not used to it and feeling pretty ropey by 18.00 .... despite loads of fluids through the day .... been an amazing 23C all day ... another day'll see it all done ----- I hope
If it's this warm again tomorrow, it might be a 'packing day' .... absolutely knackered, now I've recovered from the 'too much sun' ropeyness
4 cages and a load more bags to pack
  #6455   IP: 86.128.106.169
Old 23-04-2018, 11:56 PM

Well that was three hours of my life i'll never get back !!!!!

Along with the other three that the strimmer consumed yesterday !!
Trouble with it NOT raining, is there's all sorts of other things need doing!!!

Bag lifter got a try out this afters .....

.... and worked exceedingly well ..... hover in place, slip the straps on and away .....
bags keep their shape real well and pack nicely ......

It's also a very handy little spreader for cradled lifts too ......

beats the hell out of choking a pair of chains around a bundle and holds 'em nice for re-banding
  #6456   IP: 86.128.106.169
Old 24-04-2018, 12:11 AM

'fore getting slung out the way ...... again .........

also handles bags of stone real well .....

and makes 'em a lot easier to place tightly with each other ....
the single point lift seemed happy enough with a partial load, but I'd go for a 4 leg-er lift for a stuffed to capacity bag of stone ...... just to be on the safe side

The pile's getting ever bigger ...... fair bit the other side yet to be blocked up and split ..... job for tomorrow, 'praps

.....and Jeez, have I burnt some serious quantities of 'Charlie's' sawdust / shavings .... seems a shame to waste it ... but ........
  #6457   IP: 86.153.0.249
Old 24-04-2018, 05:54 AM
Knight of the East and West

You’ve been impressively industrious there Mr D, you’ll have arms like Popeye if you keep up the log splitting at that rate.

And, that bag lifter looks handy: l was thinking, why not just use your tines? But after thinking a little harder; yes, I can see several benefits.
  #6458   IP: 86.128.106.169
Old 24-04-2018, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pond digger View Post
You’ve been impressively industrious there Mr D, you’ll have arms like Popeye if you keep up the log splitting at that rate.

And, that bag lifter looks handy: l was thinking, why not just use your tines? But after thinking a little harder; yes, I can see several benefits.
No "will have" about it Chris .... getting there rapidly ..... LOL

looks even better from the bedroom window .... proper pile .....

I do use the forks, often, with a couple of tubes across them, ... makes life easier for getting the loops onto and nice and 'soft' on the straps ..... but ....
no can rotate into spot, like you can on the lifter, unless the VA-r is on with the forks under it.

hung on a rotater, it'd be real handy to be able to spin 'em without having to persuade 'em around against summat else ..... or get out the cab.

Plus, you can get into tight spots without having to be square on or having the tines in the way / catching anything else.

Can see it getting used a lot, for all sorts, TBH

Poxy raining again this morning!!! With serious downpours forecast for the end of the week. ..... and everything just starting to dry out nicely !!!!!!
  #6459   IP: 86.128.106.169
Old 26-04-2018, 12:36 AM

Got a bit more of it lopped up yesterday, between the deluges ...

and split

'the boss' nagged the hell out of me this morning, once the bloody rain had stopped, to get the baskets out from where they've been sat all winter!!

Get down onto the drive and lifted a couple out and she announces that she's got to go out by three ... "it's only quarter to two FCS, Pam" ... !!!!

Got the others out and slung a couple up onto the patch through the gateway, then carried t'other two back up with me ...

Sorry no pix of the op. ......due to the 'perceived urgency' !!!!

SWMBO burgered off out and left me to fill some baskets ..... which she was supposed to have been doing!!

#6460   IP: 86.128.106.169
Old 26-04-2018, 12:46 AM

stuffed with all the odd shaped bits and pieces ....that I could find ... of which there are a lot !! Dare say more will appear as i work me way down the heap!

Pile has started to diminish, but there're going to be a lot of bags required too I think.

Having measured the space the baskets came out of, I reckon I can get 9 bags in one layer, into the same area .... the baskets'll get a new home

stack 'em two high and I may need a bit more wood to fill a second layer ...... but should see us right for 'heat' for a year or three .. maybe four

Method in my madness ....
get this lot dealt with now whilst the ground is still 'unfit' and I'll hopefully have some uninterrupted 'digging time', when it does dry out enough to deal with it !!

Still got the last few bits to 'lop and block' ...... oh and there is of course, an oak to come down yet .....
BIL is calling round tomorrow, to collect his daughter's patio fencing ... he's bound to ask when we're gonna drop the rest of the tree.

Could be soon .... very soon !!

Last edited by V8Druid; 26-04-2018 at 12:50 AM.