The British Construction Equipment Forum  

Go Back   The British Construction Equipment Forum > EXTRAS > Forum Requests

#1   IP: 86.154.21.2
Old 12-08-2013, 11:54 PM
Knight of the Rose Croix of H.R.D.M

Location: Druid central, just East of Pandy, Nr. Abergavenny, S. Wales, UK, 3rd rock from the Sun
Cool Location finder

Bit of an off the wall idea here, that I've been thinking about and don't now whether it's possible (know next to s*d all about how these thing work)!

Been on here a little while now and often wonder just where you guys hail from, whilst reading your posts.
Some have a 'location', whilst some, although witty, ("in front of me computer" f'rinstance) give no clue at all !!

What's the possibility of some sort of map and index showing a general idea (say within 2 miles) of members locations.
Some members have links to their op. names/co.s, but many don't.

Many of you obviously know each other outside of the confines of this forum, but just thought it would be interesting to see who's where?

Dunno what anyone else feels about this as an idea, but I'm sure I'm gonna hear about it, which is great.

I have no ulterior motive for suggesting this other than the curiosity of seeing where all you guys 'hide out', when you're not in front of your computers or astride your weapon of choice

It may be a mega-techy thing to pull off - I don't know, but it sure would be interesting to see the demographic, so to speak, of members and contributors.

Thoughts on an e-postcard please.
  #2   IP: 195.93.21.42
Old 13-08-2013, 06:34 PM
Grand Master Architect

Default Re: Location finder

yes good idear i say, audlem south cheshire
  #3   IP: 94.195.155.114
Old 13-08-2013, 06:43 PM
Master Elect of Nine

I'm in front of my computer in Accrington, Lancashire at the moment. I'm currently working in Seaforth, Merseyside, Just north of Liverpool between Bootle and Crosby.

We're laying a 400mm medium pressure gas pipe, we've spent all this week doing trial holes with the VAC-EX, trying to find a route.
  #4   IP: 81.135.131.198
Old 13-08-2013, 07:07 PM

Location: Druid central, just East of Pandy, Nr. Abergavenny, S. Wales, UK, 3rd rock from the Sun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redash View Post
I'm in front of my computer in Accrington, Lancashire at the moment. I'm currently working in Seaforth, Merseyside, Just north of Liverpool between Bootle and Crosby.

We're laying a 400mm medium pressure gas pipe, we've spent all this week doing trial holes with the VAC-EX, trying to find a route.
Those vacuum excavators are amazing things! Used to have one on an 8 wheeler come in to me for gas oil (red diesel), when they were on hire to Amec, laying a new gas main in the town. Not unusual for it to do 450 litres in a shift!!
Would not want to get yer foot in the way. It'd suck bricks and 1/2 blocks like they were smarties!

Glad to hear you think my idea is of interest. Have thought of a reasonably easy way for everyone to do it with little effort.
I'll post the process below.
Wonder what TVHC'll think of it?

Cheers
Graham
  #5   IP: 81.135.131.198
Old 13-08-2013, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diggerjones View Post
yes good idear i say, audlem south cheshire
Hi Digger,
Thanks for the vote/opinion.
Going to post an easy way for everyone to do it that I've used many times for giving people locations.
  #6   IP: 81.135.131.198
Old 13-08-2013, 09:51 PM

Hi again guys,
Re. my idea for a location finder.

Here’s a method I’ve used successfully for many years and apologies if I’m ‘trying to teach how to suck eggs/preaching to the converted’

Firstly get onto Google maps.
Enter up, either a postcode for yourself, or if you don’t want to be that specific, one that’s close-ish to you in the search box.

Once it’s showing the location area you’ve chosen, (with a red ‘A’), switch to satellite view and find the exact spot you wish to use/identify.

Again either your exact location if you so choose, or something as close as you wanna be ID-ed at/for (I realise some of you guys might like to stay ‘incognito’ – that's Franglais for ‘one step ahead of the tax man’).

Then with the cursor on your chosen spot, right click it and choose “what’s here” from the drop down menu that appears.

This will put a green arrow on your chosen spot and bring up a set of co-ordinates in the search box.

Anyone who copies these co-ordinates into Google maps search will immediately be taken to this exact spot on Google maps.

As an example, my workshop’s post code is NP7 5HF which puts a red 'A', no where near it.

However copy and paste 51.82066,-3.014407 into the search box and it’ll take you straight to it, complete with green arrow.
Always found it real handy for sending direct deliveries to obscure locations (like farms, up a dead ender and the like).

If anyone wishing to participate in an ‘I’m here, location directory’ were to put their co-ordinates in their location box, together with a descriptor (say Abergavenny in my example’s case) anyone wanting to take the time to look could do so, if of course anyone wished to/was interested (as I often am – like in Turtle’s recent posts).

It’s also a useful tool for showing everyone else a particular location one might be, talking about/jobsite/etc..

Again, thoughts on an e-postcard please guys

Last edited by V8Druid; 13-08-2013 at 09:54 PM.
  #7   IP: 94.195.155.114
Old 13-08-2013, 10:04 PM
Master Elect of Nine

Accrington is easy to find, but this is where I'm currently working 53.468303,-3.011232
  #8   IP: 2.103.40.145
Old 13-08-2013, 10:04 PM
Knight of the East

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8Druid View Post
Hi again guys,
Re. my idea for a location finder.

Here’s a method I’ve used successfully for many years and apologies if I’m ‘trying to teach how to suck eggs/preaching to the converted’

Firstly get onto Google maps.
Enter up, either a postcode for yourself, or if you don’t want to be that specific, one that’s close-ish to you in the search box.

Once it’s showing the location area you’ve chosen, (with a red ‘A’), switch to satellite view and find the exact spot you wish to use/identify.

Again either your exact location if you so choose, or something as close as you wanna be ID-ed at/for (I realise some of you guys might like to stay ‘incognito’ – that's Franglais for ‘one step ahead of the tax man’).

Then with the cursor on your chosen spot, right click it and choose “what’s here” from the drop down menu that appears.

This will put a green arrow on your chosen spot and bring up a set of co-ordinates in the search box.

Anyone who copies these co-ordinates into Google maps search will immediately be taken to this exact spot on Google maps.

As an example, my workshop’s post code is NP7 5HF which puts a red 'A', no where near it.

However copy and paste 51.82066,-3.014407 into the search box and it’ll take you straight to it, complete with green arrow.
Always found it real handy for sending direct deliveries to obscure locations (like farms, up a dead ender and the like).

If anyone wishing to participate in an ‘I’m here, location directory’ were to put their co-ordinates in their location box, together with a descriptor (say Abergavenny in my example’s case) anyone wanting to take the time to look could do so, if of course anyone wished to/was interested (as I often am – like in Turtle’s recent posts).

It’s also a useful tool for showing everyone else a particular location one might be, talking about/jobsite/etc..

Again, thoughts on an e-postcard please guys
Fook me that sounds complicated I'm 10 minutes from J19 M6 and 5 minutes J10 M56 if that helps.....................oh and sat in front of my computer

Paul.

If you can't buy it build it
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
  #9   IP: 81.135.131.198
Old 13-08-2013, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redash View Post
Accrington is easy to find, but this is where I'm currently working 53.468303,-3.011232
Is that your tranny and pecker ? Street view mate

Only kiddin', unless yerz in a different time zone up there cos it's still light according to Google's street view
  #10   IP: 81.135.131.198
Old 13-08-2013, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mogman View Post
Fook me that sounds complicated I'm 10 minutes from J19 M6 and 5 minutes J10 M56 if that helps.....................oh and sat in front of my computer

Paul.
D'ya get Sally traffic on that too Mog??