The British Construction Equipment Forum  

Go Back   The British Construction Equipment Forum > EQUIPMENT > Construction Equipment

#7141   IP: 212.88.42.35
Old 20-07-2019, 08:44 PM
Knight of the Rose Croix of H.R.D.M

Location: Druid central, just East of Pandy, Nr. Abergavenny, S. Wales, UK, 3rd rock from the Sun
Default Re: Druid’s New Duck – ’99 Hydrema-Wiemar M1500

had a bit of a challenge on the go last Sunday .... Rory ( JD450A ) has had an issue with his towed roller and was in need of some bushes to get it mobile again .... and couldn't find any ... POP with a lathe, but, with a little lateral thinking, these will be in the post Monday

got all set up earlier .....

went to the genny ..... pressed the go button and ... several clicks from the control box and ...sod all .... running fine last week .... oil pressure off the scale and hadn't even turned over .... so lots of head scratching :unsure: ..... very similar fault to the last occasion it pissed me off

appeared to be going through the motions of trying ... just not doing it ?? had a good shufty around everything then checked the earths to the starter ... dropped a connection off .. cleaned it all and ........ away it went with perfectly normal oil gauge ... I'm hoping that I may well have found the culprit

so.....I was away ....

as said a bit of lateral thinking was needed for this .....

Ajax lathe ......... started with this ..

the jig saw came out for the other three
  #7142   IP: 212.88.42.35
Old 20-07-2019, 08:50 PM

Location: Druid central, just East of Pandy, Nr. Abergavenny, S. Wales, UK, 3rd rock from the Sun

then it needed a hole ... a 70mm one

as a solid disc, gripping it was easy .... as a tube it was a different matter and had to get it 'just right'

mission accomplished .... "where there's a will " - etc..... but jeez what a bloody mess .... took me an hour to clean up all the acetal swarf !!

can report that the Ajax is a peach ..... the DRO is the bollaux, for summat like this, where repeatable centre set up was paramount ... accurate to 0.1 thou. .... gonna enjoy owning this ....... and the genny ....... started / stopped fine all afternoon

Great to be 'driving' a machine tool again ..... and I love machining plastics .... so nice to work with ... .... no sharp, or hot bits
  #7143   IP: 212.88.42.35
Old 20-07-2019, 08:54 PM

all packed and ready for the PO Monday morning, after I drop Clara at nursery

and in case the posty can't read ........

worst - er, I mean .... best one I could find
  #7144   IP: 212.88.42.35
Old 22-07-2019, 07:53 PM

Sunday july 14th - wimbledon final

well .... these two blokes on the telly've been beating the shizer out of them yellow balls since I went out to mow all the bloody grass at 14.00... an' they're still at it 4 hrs later .... don't think Pam has moved

The Dane's decimated either side of our drive, the three passing places on the main drive and the turning area ... then me and Sparts have mowed our old drive and the lawn ....

he was asleep on our bed when I got the Countax out the shed ... and was waiting for me at the end of the patch drive, by the time I got there

was either here, on my lap or down on the foot boards all the way round .... and stayed there 'til I'd finished and put the Countax away again

Gonna have to make him some sort of 'perch' / seat / bed to attach to the bonnet ..... he's alright on my lap, or the foot boards, but perched there I have to take it real slow/steady, with him up there ... and on my lap, come to think of it ... his back claws are bloody sharp .... keep his fronts clipped as he has a tendency to climb your leg, if you don't pick him up quick enough

....... and they're still slogging them balls about ..... tea's gonna be late tonight
  #7145   IP: 212.88.42.35
Old 22-07-2019, 08:00 PM

been a busy-ish day last tuesday...... once Pam had departed, for Plymouth and Shem minding duties for the rest of the week, 'bout two o'clock .... Home alone ... no interruptions 'til Sunday evening

Been getting me new Jabsco installed in the back end of the 'Drema .... bit tight in places - everywhere in fact ... bits of skin missing all over

.... especially when I had to make an ultra quick exit, from the engine bay, when I was joined in there by the Group Leader of 633 Squadron ..... bloody hornet must've been 60mm long
.... sounded more like a Dornier diesel, than a Wellington or Lanc. .... bloody thing has been doing fly bys all evening

started with a sort out of the tail for the tank ....

brass hose tail was a perfect fit over the swept hyd. hose tail and being brass was an ideal candidate for a soldering job ..... once I'd got the hose tail clean enough to get the tinman's to take to it and sweated on

installed that and then routed me new shiny bit of 1" fuel hose down into the engine bay, to where it needed to end up to meet the pump's outlet tail

next on the agenda was persuade the Jabsco into position to suss a fit .... took some wriggling in .....

although it doesn't look it in there ... 's a big lump in a small space ..... marked the best location

and dropped the belly plate ...... was hoping to find that red button ..... but no such luck

gave me a good chance to clean out the back end of the engine bay too while i had this belly plate off ... done the other two a long time ago ... on Zeus,s ... this 'un bolts on ...... don't think it'd ever been off
anyway, got yon plate back in position .... 4 hands would've been handy .... and realised it was time for some grub .... this went down real well with a nice soft bread roll to accompany it .....

have had it before and REALLY rate it for a quicky .... bloody gorgeous looks as good as the pic and tastes even better .....
  #7146   IP: 212.88.42.35
Old 22-07-2019, 08:20 PM

so ... refueled, I set about persuading it all back in there again ..... after i'd checked out the control unit on 24 volts on the bench .....

the red button was as I suspected .... push to break .... and's wired in parallel with the float switch .... yon relay in the box full of rubber must be a latching unit .... so needs to have a circuit 'made' in the normal position, which was a bit of a PITA ...
but it got druidised and'll do for now 'til I can find a replacement guts for it ...... the floaty bit was working fine

it all went back in and got bolted down, followed by an introduction of said rubber bit .....

jeez it is tight to get yer mitts into, but got there .... routed and cable tied everything into place .......

In the middle of refitting the float switch and me phone rings ... Simon ... "are you still up? " ..... silly Q. .... " yeh sat on the top of the 'Drema's fuel tank , re-fitting the float switch in it - it's only half nine FFS " ..... he wanted to drop by on his way home, with my laser target, he borrowed ... several years ago LOL that I'd asked him if I could 'borrow back' for a while

so by the time he'd arrived I'd gotten tidied up for tonight ..... and was on watering duties ... daren't let Pam's plants expire on my watch ... been 28C here today ...... wiring to sort tomorrow and can give it a try
..... a good hour plus watering ... good job I tidied up when I did ... struggling to see the bloody plants, by the time I'd gotten around 'em all

beautiful semi-lunar eclipse tonight when the moon came up, 'bout ten o'clock
.... took about two plus hours to transition to the full moon we've got tonight

Tight was not the word for this job ..... the original pump is 2/3rds the size and was mounted on a bracket, attached to the front face of the tail weight ... where that pipe tee-block has been put for the breaker valve's servo and LS line interfaces with the pumps .... bloody stupid place to put that
... the old pump had been left sitting on the belly plate, stuffed back out of the way .... could've made life easier, if I'd re-jigged some of the plumbing and re-located that tee-block .... but!!!!! ...... I managed
  #7147   IP: 212.88.42.35
Old 22-07-2019, 08:28 PM

well I sorted the wiring thurs morning .... had a bit of a senior moment when I put the float switch back in last night - the wrong way up - I blame Simon's phone call .... so although I'd actually got power at the loom connector supplying it (the original feed), it would not run .... 'til I traced the new loom back to the switch - took it back out - and realised my 'error'

whilst I'd got all me wiring gear out i thought I'd replace the rear facing roof top lights with the new LEDs I've had sat for ages ...

they're 'kin bright, even in daylight

With that done, I thought i'd try the pump out, after tidying everything away ......

she was about 1/3rd full, so in need of about 160 litres ...... bloody hell does that pump flow fuel at a hell of a rate .... once i'd gotten it wet..

self priming, according to the paperwork for it, but was new and 'dry', 'til I decanted what it HAD managed to suck up half the pick up line .... then it was away
did not take long at all and kept a very careful eye on the speed at which it rose up the tank.

As Stu had said ..... the froth could've been annoying ... but stopped it a few inches short of 'full', let it settle a while and went again ... didn't dare let the autostop dictate the stop point
..... needs a second pair of eyes for that ..... or a remote switch button, on a wander lead, one could knock the pump off with, whilst watching the filler port ... would certainly be a good idea
Quickest fill she's ever had .... love it

couldn't resist one of these for two quid ..... came across 'em on Ebay the other week .... just for the craic

every duck should sport one

and that about gets me up to date
  #7148   IP: 212.88.42.35
Old 22-07-2019, 08:43 PM

Pam got back Saturday, late evening ... wondered WTF it was as wasn't expecting her 'til sunday evening ....

yesterday got spent doing all the grass, after the rain we had friday and some tree management .... all growing like crazy ATM

second barrow load getting dealt with

#7149   IP: 212.88.42.35
Old 22-07-2019, 08:44 PM

sorted for another 5-6 days hopefully

#7150   IP: 212.88.42.35
Old 23-07-2019, 10:47 PM

been 33C here today .. apparently a perfect day for Vax-ing the living room carpet (TBF .. she was right) ....

was still 29C here at 21.00 ... just locked up and still 28 in a box - was 39C in there, this afternoon
... 26C outside on the patio still
listening to the weather earlier, they're forecasting even higher, record breaking temp.s later in the week
I like it dry and comfy ... like 20ish .... been melting all day