The British Construction Equipment Forum  

Go Back   The British Construction Equipment Forum > EQUIPMENT > Commercial Vehicles

#1   IP: 86.138.18.196
Old 07-07-2017, 09:01 PM
Knight of the East

Default Nissan Cabstar.... Something

For my sins I am about to purchase a 2003 Nissan Cabstar Nice condition dropside wagon with a fair few miles but all tidy and tight. (Reason for not going more expensive is it's a bit of a proof of concept/thing to keep me occupied.

Plan is to offer a waste collection and aggregate supply service like we do with the skip lorry. Only the cabstar can go in the tight and stop in places I definitely can't with the lorry. Bare in mind I work out at around 100 a load (Before waste/aggregate) with the lorry in a 10 mile radius.... The cabstar I reckon 60 a load (before waste/aggregate).

Only question is what body to go for. I have a choice. Either mount a hiab on the existing dropside and do everything in dumpybags, Fit some small skip gear I've acquired to it (Reducing the skip gear width to that of the cabstar so it can only lift a 2 yard skip) or I have the option of a High tip body

Thoughts?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
To Be Continued.....
  #2   IP: 81.147.100.1
Old 07-07-2017, 09:30 PM
Elect of Fifteen

Default Re: Nissan Cabstar.... Something

Sounds a lot of agro to me, for what...a ton at a time.

Factor the insurance and running cost plus a drivers wage.

If your adamant on that size of truck get a canter or NQR at least you will get 3 to 4t on it and still fit in tight spots.

I had a cabstar and what a pile of dodo they are, I hope yours is the 3.0 as the 2.7 is shite. My nkr blinded my cabstar.

Ps if your after a crane for loading ton bags I have one that I'd be prepared to part with.
  #3   IP: 86.138.18.196
Old 07-07-2017, 09:58 PM
Knight of the East

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiluxman View Post
Sounds a lot of agro to me, for what...a ton at a time.
We are blessed with shite roads and access. Been struggling to get my 13t wagon in and out of a site these past two weeks. Some sites you will struggle to get a transit tipper in and a lot of roads are just wide enough for me and the 13t so stopping to load is rarely an option. Seems a gap in the market to me and have been told so by several people... a NQR would be nice or a narrow 7.5 tonner... BUT that means another truck on the operators license and more faffing... Fk it a ton at a time and charge for it! Should make money.

Insurance wise it's 150 a year extra... tbh I am quite happy to pay that for a second van let alone something that should make money as a standalone. Yes 3.0L Variant with twin rear wheels.... Might be intrested in a crane. Do you know it's weight?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
To Be Continued.....
  #4   IP: 5.254.163.144
Old 08-07-2017, 08:16 AM
Grand Master Architect

I'd get a Cabstar tipper. Then you can test concept without dicking around with bags and a crane, and like you say it's a handy second vehicle. 3l should pull the mini digger fine to digger and driver jobs.

We have a local guy doing aggregate with a Transit tipper. He makes his money on the profit between trade and retail on the stone.

Last edited by doobin; 08-07-2017 at 08:20 AM.
  #5   IP: 79.75.88.99
Old 08-07-2017, 10:34 AM
Sublime Master Elected

That's my set up. Cabstar tipper and mini digger. I do loads of jobs where I go dig out use truck for spoil removal and fetch mot back in. Or use truck to move stuff on site bit like you'd use a dumper.
  #6   IP: 5.65.232.117
Old 08-07-2017, 01:35 PM
Elect of Fifteen

ive got a toyota dyna 3 way tipper and thought about doing it but by the time i go to quarry and fetch it not much money to be made,you would need bays in the yard and get big loads in bear in mind the builders merchants do bulk bags and can drop them wherever you want them.other thing to consider is if your tied up on the digger are you gonna drop everything to go deliver a ton of stone for a 20 proffit?because if you start you need to be reliable and people will want it asap.a 3.5 tipper is a must have for me carrying buckets and using to collect my own stuff and muck away small jobs you will find plenty of uses for itim sure