The British Construction Equipment Forum  

Go Back   The British Construction Equipment Forum > EQUIPMENT > Useful Technical Info and Reference Documents

#11   IP: 81.154.191.95
Old 03-01-2015, 06:32 PM
Knight of the Rose Croix of H.R.D.M

Location: Druid central, just East of Pandy, Nr. Abergavenny, S. Wales, UK, 3rd rock from the Sun
Default Re: Tips and Tricks

IIRC PVA = Poly-vinyl acetate - the white stuff you used to use in school woodwork classes (if you're old enough to have been in school when they still had workshops - don't get me started )
  #12   IP: 81.154.191.95
Old 03-01-2015, 06:33 PM

Location: Druid central, just East of Pandy, Nr. Abergavenny, S. Wales, UK, 3rd rock from the Sun

[QUOTE=mogman;113747]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookedondiesel View Post
Just thought I'd start a thread on things that we have learned over the years.

This would be a good thread to be STICKY and kept to the top of a page
Absolutely Paul - happy new year Boyo
  #13   IP: 81.154.191.95
Old 03-01-2015, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delbouy View Post
Another one is if you got a stubborn nut/bolt put the ring end of a combo spanner on the nut/bolt and hook the ring end off another spanner over the end of the 1st spanner, give you a lot more leverage.
I been doing this for years, and a mechanic friend of mine said, ( well I've never seen that done like that before).
He does it all the time now.
He must've lived a very sheltered life Del!! Just don't let the Snap On rep see you do it though - warranty out the window!!!!!!
  #14   IP: 94.197.120.249
Old 03-01-2015, 06:47 PM
Master Elect of Nine

snap-on, way above my price range, over priced and over rated.
I have had some of my tools for nearly 25 years and they have done a lot of work and to this day I still refuse to pay Snap-on prices when Sealey will do fine.
  #15   IP: 81.154.191.95
Old 03-01-2015, 06:56 PM

An' if that don't shift it, provided you can get at it, a small sharp cold chisel in the centre of one of the nut's flats, in line with the bolt and a good sharp whack.
Expands the dia. of the nut slightly and will often be enough to make the difference between yay, or nay!!
Oh an' plenty of Plusgas/WD40/whatever it's called where you are!

.................... an' if that don't do it - a 2mm arc rod run along the chisel mark and get swinging on the spanner before the nut cools.
obviously the bigger the nut, the bigger the chisel/rod!

The nut's almost certainly nadgered by now, so you can repeat it on all flats if necessary, or just split it, either with a cold chisel, or a hydraulic nut splitter...........if you can get the damned thing in there, as it will almost always have come under Sod's jurisdiction and there's just not quite enough room
  #16   IP: 81.154.191.95
Old 03-01-2015, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delbouy View Post
snap-on, way above my price range, over priced and over rated.
I have had some of my tools for nearly 25 years and they have done a lot of work and to this day I still refuse to pay Snap-on prices when Sealey will do fine.
totally agree mate. Only place I buy Snap On is at a boot sale
Most of Sealey range also have a lifetime warranty these days.
Do need decent sockets though!!
  #17   IP: 94.197.120.249
Old 03-01-2015, 07:08 PM
Master Elect of Nine

I think you have to go a long way to beat old Sheffield steel tools,
Old sockets are best, this modern tool steel is crap, put a little bit of umf behind it and they snap.
  #18   IP: 90.214.33.160
Old 03-01-2015, 07:34 PM
Knight of the East

dropped something small in grass or carpet, put a sock over vacuum nozzle and hoover area. the sock will catch anything sucked up

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
  #19   IP: 81.154.191.95
Old 03-01-2015, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Local Diggers View Post
dropped something small in grass or carpet, put a sock over vacuum nozzle and hoover area. the sock will catch anything sucked up
Nifty - as long as there's no holes in't sock of course!!!!
My welding socks'd be out the question!!
  #20   IP: 74.14.36.166
Old 03-01-2015, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mogman View Post
Its that white wood glue................you know the type,

used to have it at school you'd paint it on you fingers let it dry then peel it off in the next class
Oh yes, the kind you put in the girls hair in front of you, at school.