The British Construction Equipment Forum  

Go Back   The British Construction Equipment Forum > EQUIPMENT > Useful Technical Info and Reference Documents

#41   IP: 81.153.77.99
Old 03-03-2015, 11:46 PM
Knight of the Rose Croix of H.R.D.M

Location: Druid central, just East of Pandy, Nr. Abergavenny, S. Wales, UK, 3rd rock from the Sun
Default Re: Tips and Tricks

Quote:
Originally Posted by alan caddy View Post
If your having to fill your machine with fuel cans and machine is like the hitachis and have non return fittings on fuel pump and won't fit into cans a 32 mm water fitting goes straight over the valve connected to a length of pipe straight into can, or a 32 to 25 if using jerry cans
That's nifty - I like it
  #42   IP: 92.30.13.251
Old 04-03-2015, 05:49 AM
Knight of the Rose Croix of H.R.D.M

Quote:
Originally Posted by alan caddy View Post
If your having to fill your machine with fuel cans and machine is like the hitachis and have non return fittings on fuel pump and won't fit into cans a 32 mm water fitting goes straight over the valve connected to a length of pipe straight into can, or a 32 to 25 if using jerry cans
A good idea. I have to say unless it's a barrel i would pour it direct into the tank.

On this subject, we have stopped using machine mounted pumps, unless absolutely necessary With the best will in the world you can't stop contamination and with fuel systems as they are in todays machines cleanliness is a must.
  #43   IP: 79.79.207.128
Old 04-03-2015, 06:33 AM
Master Elect of Nine

Most of our machines get filled from browsers on site or a cube but I'm mostly mobbing about so cans in the back of the van most of the time, it's also raining and windy here most days so would end up either covered in diesel or the filler is catching loads of rain!
  #44   IP: 5.71.102.139
Old 24-03-2015, 08:20 PM
Secret Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by delbouy View Post
snap-on, way above my price range, over priced and over rated.
I have had some of my tools for nearly 25 years and they have done a lot of work and to this day I still refuse to pay Snap-on prices when Sealey will do fine.
I totally agree, some of my tools are 30+ years old, and still do the job, and being reasonably priced when I bought them they are more efficient, and if I leave a spanner on site, it's cheaper to replace
  #45   IP: 81.153.49.100
Old 01-03-2016, 11:39 AM
Secret Master

Just came across this thread but thought I'd kick it into life again!

I had a wire shorting out and blowing fuses on a Massey 6160 ( no surprise there)

The fuse would blow when you got in the cab or sometimes while driving.

When I tried locating it by jumping on the steps and pulling at the wiring loom I soon had a pile of blown fuses a foot high lying on the floor and was pulling my hair out

So.... a light bulb moment, literally!

I connected a 12v bulb to the fuse socket and instead of blowing the fuse whenever it shorted out the bulb lit up! (I'm sure there's a few good technical reasons not to do this but needs must....!)

This allowed me to trace the fault by moving the loom and replicating tractor movement and I soon discovered the worn out sheathing and shorting wire!

Happy Days!!!