The British Construction Equipment Forum  

Go Back   The British Construction Equipment Forum > EQUIPMENT > Useful Technical Info and Reference Documents

#11   IP: 80.247.25.141
Old 09-10-2016, 01:10 PM
Intimate Secretary

Default Re: Hand tools

Have a decent amount of standard 3/8 and 1/2 snapon kit. Mostly bought outright when on offer. Have some Halfords professional stuff but they messed me about with a warranty claim recently, asking to see a receipt for an Allen key socket bought 10 years ago! Like facom spanners but not a fan of the ratchets. Have used facom screwdrivers since I started work but recently I think they have gone downhill (aren't Stanley/britool/facom owned by same people?)
  #12   IP: 185.69.144.241
Old 09-10-2016, 09:16 PM
Provost and Judge

Quote:
Originally Posted by pettsy View Post
(aren't Stanley/britool/facom owned by same people?)
And mac and dewalt and sidcrome

They are set out as different tiers so facom at the toop then britool then stanley

But some tools are identical
Like the 440 spanners are available with facom mac or sidcrome on them
I honestly think the 440 spanners are the most ergonomically designed spanners possible and no other brand can come close to how well they sit in your hand
Lent one to an electritian the other day and he just sat there rolling it in his hand as he couldnt believe how much better it was than snap on ones
  #13   IP: 31.52.88.229
Old 09-10-2016, 11:00 PM
Knight of the Rose Croix of H.R.D.M

Location: Druid central, just East of Pandy, Nr. Abergavenny, S. Wales, UK, 3rd rock from the Sun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traxcavator. View Post
Generally tools are tools. I do prefere using snap on and use it a fair bit. Britool was allways my favorite and I have a fair bit of that too. New Britool not so good. I believe Facom own them. I don't like Facom anyway. Snap on do a massive range and some good specials that the others dont, especially fuel injection spanners and sockets. Adjustable spanners ........ nothing beats Bahco. They also do some good hand tools now.
well that's a plus one on the old skool Britool stuff here .... especially the bigger sockets and spanners

as for " tools are tools " ... generally I'd agree there, with the odd exception ..... most gear has limited daily usage, but the stuff that's in your hands regularly ....... pays to have reliable brands .... otherwise " tools are tools "

And totally agree on the Bahco statement .... must have a dozen in varying sizes and patterns .... comfortable, reliable, dependable and strong.

On the wood butchery side ..... old skool Stanley and Record ..... now't else lasts like they do.
  #14   IP: 88.109.129.63
Old 10-10-2016, 12:05 AM
Master Elect of Nine

snail brand for me
  #15   IP: 213.205.198.42
Old 10-10-2016, 07:35 AM
Grand Master Architect

Snap on do well because of the credit they offer techs.

Generally anybody with any sense will know cheaper will do the same job however I have recently bought a couple of snap on tools and a roller cab and I can say the quality far exceeds anything else . I paid though the nose for them mind.

There also useful visiting me rather than me having to go hunting for tools if we need them

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow us on Twitter
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow us on Facebook
  #16   IP: 5.254.163.144
Old 10-10-2016, 08:18 AM
Grand Master Architect

Glad to see Snap-On getting a bit of a slating for being overpriced/over marketed as I've always believed that I feel sorry for all the young lads who end up in debt buying tools just to work PAYE at a garage.

I love decent tools. I just spent 35 on a caulking gun but it's a joy to use.

All two stroke tools are Stihl. All battery tools are top end Makita. I'm a huge fan of Evoloution saws, for metal and wood.

What do you guys like for pliers? I've got Irwin pliers but I also really rate Knipex.

Last edited by doobin; 10-10-2016 at 05:58 PM.
  #17   IP: 31.52.88.229
Old 10-10-2016, 08:42 AM

Location: Druid central, just East of Pandy, Nr. Abergavenny, S. Wales, UK, 3rd rock from the Sun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regy53 View Post
Snap on do well because of the credit they offer techs.

Generally anybody with any sense will know cheaper will do the same job however I have recently bought a couple of snap on tools and a roller cab and I can say the quality far exceeds anything else . I paid though the nose for them mind.

There also useful visiting me rather than me having to go hunting for tools if we need them
someone's got to fund the vans and salaries Ross .... ain't gonna be Snap On for sure ..... same as Spafax-Tewel, or whatever they incarnated into .... convenient AND pricey. ......... They are good tools though and have to admit to owning some too
  #18   IP: 31.52.88.229
Old 10-10-2016, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doobin View Post
Glad to see Snap-On getting a bit of a slating for being overpriced/over marketed as I've always believed that I feel sorry for all the young lads who end up in debt buying tools just

I love decent tools. I just spent 35 on a caulking gun ... but it's a joy to use.

All two stroke tools are Stihl. All battery tools are top end Makita. I'm a huge fan of Evoloution saws, for metal and wood.

What do you guys like for pliers? I've got Irwin pliers but I also really rate Knipex.
Knipex are very good Ruben ...... recently paid a tenner a pair for some s/h ex-ministry side and end cutters at Welland .... can't recall their name ATM but the best I've ever had ..... last ones grew legs ...... geared, a joy to use and unburstable
I'll have a look and see who's they are? (aside from mine now )

And whilst we are talking tools ....... that little compressor you recommended has been just perfect Boyo .... such a pleasure to have air at the flick of a switch again and use it all the time.
  #19   IP: 157.207.65.30
Old 10-10-2016, 12:49 PM
Elect of Fifteen

Thanks guys, was looking to see if someone who regularly gets flyers could email them as I have trouble trying to get to vans as I work offshore although it may look as I might come back to plant maintenance. As for tools I was a britool man! But find the latest stuff badged expert crap! I've recently bought a mac 50"box and it's fantastic, I generally only buy if it's on offer. I've bought and used Halfords professional and I think it's crap! My 10 year old britool sockets and spanners are a better fit!

If anybody does get the flyers regularly can u pm me and if possible email to me? Would be a great help.

Also if anyone knows anybody looking for a 26" box I have a britool 10 drawer for sale

#20   IP: 31.52.88.229
Old 10-10-2016, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8Druid View Post
Knipex are very good Ruben ...... recently paid a tenner a pair for some s/h ex-ministry side and end cutters at Welland .... can't recall their name ATM but the best I've ever had ..... last ones grew legs ...... geared, a joy to use and unburstable
I'll have a look and see who's they are? (aside from mine now )

And whilst we are talking tools ....... that little compressor you recommended has been just perfect Boyo .... such a pleasure to have air at the flick of a switch again and use it all the time.
they're Maun Industries ?

and a joy to use

http://www.maun-industries.co.uk/

http://www.maun-industries.co.uk/agr...e-140mm-5-1-2/