The British Construction Equipment Forum  

Go Back   The British Construction Equipment Forum > EQUIPMENT > Useful Technical Info and Reference Documents

#1   IP: 86.136.13.217
Old 15-06-2017, 03:38 PM
Knight of the Rose Croix of H.R.D.M

Location: Druid central, just East of Pandy, Nr. Abergavenny, S. Wales, UK, 3rd rock from the Sun
Unhappy 'MOTs' for mobile plant !! ??

this has been flagged up on an FB group today by Pete Pierce (APH 2007)

http://cema-agri.org/sites/default/f...006%2006_0.pdf

As we're supposed to be about to 'exit stage left' from that circus .... who knows

One thing is for sure .... it'll have significant cost implications, whether real or implied, create yet more mountains of paperwork ....... and jobs for the boys

these 5 pages are the guts of it ... rest is just piccies

Last edited by V8Druid; 15-06-2017 at 03:46 PM.
  #2   IP: 213.162.104.101
Old 15-06-2017, 03:52 PM
Master of the Ninth Arch

Default Re: 'MOTs' for mobile plant !! ??

Having taken six months to finally get DVLA to take my money and road register the Menzi, I will be putting it on a SORN if that nightmare is ever put through.
Graham
  #3   IP: 81.147.102.142
Old 15-06-2017, 06:12 PM
Elect of Fifteen

It doesn't say anything about continuous re testing, my jist of it is that you need to make sure you machine complies with that Eu number so you can carry on driving it on the road.

So put simply I think you'd need to get it tested once and once it does that's it.

But if you can prove it already meets the Eu number ie manufacturer still holds the details then you can use that rather than having it inspected.

It'll all be to do with height of lights n distance between them and the such like and that the cab is noise insulated and that the steering set up complies with another Eu number.
  #4   IP: 86.136.13.217
Old 15-06-2017, 06:44 PM

Location: Druid central, just East of Pandy, Nr. Abergavenny, S. Wales, UK, 3rd rock from the Sun

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiluxman View Post
It doesn't say anything about continuous re testing, my jist of it is that you need to make sure you machine complies with that Eu number so you can carry on driving it on the road.

So put simply I think you'd need to get it tested once and once it does that's it.

But if you can prove it already meets the Eu number ie manufacturer still holds the details then you can use that rather than having it inspected.

It'll all be to do with height of lights n distance between them and the such like and that the cab is noise insulated and that the steering set up complies with another Eu number.
not quite how I read it ....

" Requirements under full 3 rd party testing and reporting:

For requirements which have a big impact on the machine’s level of on-road safety, such as steering and braking, it is considered appropriate to have the necessary compliance tests carried out by a 3rd party. A test report issued by the 3rd party should demonstrate conformity of the concerning aspect with the technical requirements " .

Manufacturers could hardly be considered 'third party'

Third party implies impartiality, as is the case with other testing for roadworthiness of vehicles and similar tests such as LOLER requirements, etc., etc..

AND ... let's face it ... yet another license to print opportunity !!
  #5   IP: 86.136.13.217
Old 15-06-2017, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grahams View Post
Having taken six months to finally get DVLA to take my money and road register the Menzi, I will be putting it on a SORN if that nightmare is ever put through.
Graham
I take it getting it registered has been like juggling spaghetti Gra.
I've been considering registering the 'Drema, but have been concerned by a few posts/comments/etc., that I've seen regarding achieving the same ... puts me off a bit
  #6   IP: 81.147.102.142
Old 15-06-2017, 07:22 PM
Elect of Fifteen

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8Druid View Post
not quite how I read it ....

" Requirements under full 3 rd party testing and reporting:

For requirements which have a big impact on the machine’s level of on-road safety, such as steering and braking, it is considered appropriate to have the necessary compliance tests carried out by a 3rd party. A test report issued by the 3rd party should demonstrate conformity of the concerning aspect with the technical requirements " .

Manufacturers could hardly be considered 'third party'

Third party implies impartiality, as is the case with other testing for roadworthiness of vehicles and similar tests such as LOLER requirements, etc., etc..

AND ... let's face it ... yet another license to print opportunity !!
Yes ie the 3rd party says yes it meets the regulation and can be signed off, once done so that's it. No retesting. Means you can use your machine on road in France and on road in Germany and where ever else in Europe without having to worry about it complying with local rules as they are all covered by the one big new rule.

Not all of it will be 3rd party inspection to confirm compliance.

Take say a jcb 3cx p21. Jcb can if they like submit all the documents they have and ask if it confirms to the new ruling and if they say yes then all jcb 3cx p21s would be covered without you needing an individual machine inspected.

The 3rd party inspection is for those where no technical data remains or they cant comply with needing to modify it. Ie put road lights that are 1500mm from the ground ect ect. So you fit new lights at 1500mm high then Mr inspector looks and goes yes that's fine.
  #7   IP: 86.136.13.217
Old 15-06-2017, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Yes ie the 3rd party says yes it meets the regulation and can be signed off, once done so that's it. No retesting. Means you can use your machine on road in France and on road in Germany and where ever else in Europe without having to worry about it complying with local rules as they are all covered by the one big new rule.

Not all of it will be 3rd party inspection to confirm compliance.

Take say a jcb 3cx p21. Jcb can if they like submit all the documents they have and ask if it confirms to the new ruling and if they say yes then all jcb 3cx p21s would be covered without you needing an individual machine inspected.

The 3rd party inspection is for those where no technical data remains or they cant comply with needing to modify it. Ie put road lights that are 1500mm from the ground ect ect. So you fit new lights at 1500mm high then Mr inspector looks and goes yes that's fine.
Let's hope that's all it will ever amount to .... you know what the 'jobsworths' are like when they get into gear

Plus as said .. could end up yet another money printing scheme

Was talk years ago of MOTs for cranes .... never happened though
  #8   IP: 51.6.42.252
Old 15-06-2017, 08:08 PM
Master of the Ninth Arch

Quote:
I take it getting it registered has been like juggling spaghetti Gra.
I've been considering registering the 'Drema, but have been concerned by a few posts/comments/etc., that I've seen regarding achieving the same ... puts me off a bit
My advice would be don't bother registering it, just drive it anyway. If I knew what hassle it would be I would have just driven it. I only intend to do about 10 miles per year, but once you are in the system you have to carry on.
Graham
  #9   IP: 81.147.102.142
Old 15-06-2017, 08:26 PM
Elect of Fifteen

Quote:
Let's hope that's all it will ever amount to .... you know what the 'jobsworths' are like when they get into gear

Plus as said .. could end up yet another money printing scheme

Was talk years ago of MOTs for cranes .... never happened though
Yes I agree with you there.

There is still rumor of bringing testing in on small trailers too.
  #10   IP: 86.136.13.217
Old 15-06-2017, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Yes I agree with you there.

There is still rumor of bringing testing in on small trailers too.
Yeh I've heard the same and the way they are on towing these days, it's only a question of time, I believe. Eu already has something regarding trailer roadworthiness checks

Mind you, TBH, having seen some of the crap that I've been asked to repair over the years, it might not be too bad a thing, to happen ..... there is some sh1t being dragged about the roads, masquerading as trailers and I really mean S.H.1 T.