The British Construction Equipment Forum  

Go Back   The British Construction Equipment Forum > EQUIPMENT > Innovations and New Technology

#41   IP: 82.18.68.219
Old 31-07-2015, 09:57 PM
Grand Master Architect

Default Re: Operating systems

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uffex1900 View Post
Ross I would not disagree
However I make the following points - Purchase of the operating system XP no longer has support - As a popular operating system its is a target of virus folk - Ok you must have virus protection (cost) - You suggest a registry cleaning program cost !! - Yes if you are prepared to make continual protection updates.

Yes I liked XP but if this needs all this -hit sorry what is a operating system about may be ongoing costs.
Sorry if you are a nerd and prepared to continue costs and time, I suppose I am what would be regarded as a heavy user, not prepared to continue to pay for what I consider rubbish.
MS operating system £200 - 300 Office £300 + Additional programs ? + Virus protection + registry cleaning software.
Linux Zorin - free - Office compatible software Free - Virus software not needed - registry cleaning not required. This is also the case with other linux distros.
Continue with slow software if you choose, for one I will not complain.
My kind regards and thank you for your response.
Uffex
I built my gaming pc in 2011, with no formats until i upgraded in January this year.

This was after using CC cleaner as a free reg edit program every now and then.

No costs, no hassle.

PC Windows 7 caused me no issues, and it supported thousands of pictures, website builds, outlook express with 8gb mail files and so on.

shes now hooked up to windows 7 still, one 512gb ssd, 3 x 2tb drives and operates perfectly. no costs.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow us on Twitter
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow us on Facebook
  #42   IP: 86.139.38.129
Old 31-07-2015, 11:14 PM
Knight of the Rose Croix of H.R.D.M

Location: Druid central, just East of Pandy, Nr. Abergavenny, S. Wales, UK, 3rd rock from the Sun

jeeezus - it's gonna take me a week to digest all this

Got a couple of PCs in the attic to try out a 'Zorin' load on Uffy - might take you up on the "step by step" - where are you?

Alex - that's quite a history mate - the simple act of just breathing on ME wasn't recommended IIRC - would've loved to have seen the PC world's guy's face

Chuckle on Dan, yer cheeky bar steward - would like to go to Mac, but .... old dogs an' new tricks ..... scared mate (oh and the sun's been on the Druid's back all day mate - strimming the bloody grass)

Gra - thought you had to have a fairly recent 'puter to get the freebie download ...... and a code to get it?????

and finally Ross - yeh you're right ...... me an' Google are real good mates - amazing what yer can find when you look .... hard !!
Thanks for the link Boyo, I'll give it a go and hopefully get me old 'puter back to where it was the last time my tech guy gave it back to me - 'wicked'
Never thought of looking for that sort of thing on you tube - usually just provides entertainment or jaw dropping vid.s of 'wow' stuff !!

This is turning into quite an interesting debate I'd say - mostly completely over my head ..... but interesting!!!
  #43   IP: 86.139.38.129
Old 31-07-2015, 11:16 PM

Location: Druid central, just East of Pandy, Nr. Abergavenny, S. Wales, UK, 3rd rock from the Sun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regy53 View Post
I built my gaming pc in 2011, with no formats until i upgraded in January this year.

This was after using CC cleaner as a free reg edit program every now and then.

No costs, no hassle.

PC Windows 7 caused me no issues, and it supported thousands of pictures, website builds, outlook express with 8gb mail files and so on.

shes now hooked up to windows 7 still, one 512gb ssd, 3 x 2tb drives and operates perfectly. no costs.
Sorry Ross, but what do you mean by this?
  #44   IP: 37.152.235.3
Old 01-08-2015, 12:17 AM
Provost and Judge

Quote:
Originally Posted by d4c24a View Post
anyone else got windows 10 for free
Windows 10 installed and working 100%. Install was flawless without any problems and everything seems to be working well after 2 days usage.

I had Windows 8.1 so is considered to be the most straightforward of upgrades.

All said, I'm not sure what all the fuss is about. Yes it's a nice interface and seems pretty well sussed out but I can't fathom why everyone is saying this is so wonderful and its going to save Microsoft, or Windows 8 was so bad.

I will say that the new Browser Microsoft "Edge" is very good and has brought me back to using the Microsoft offering from previously using Chrome, Firefox and most recently Opera.
I still rate Opera very highly, but the minimalist screen of the new "Edge" really appeals to me. I like as little clutter on screen as possible.

I would recommend anyone on Windows 7 or 8 and who's machine has a suitable specification to upgrade, after all it's free.
Most technical pundits are confirming it is safe to do so.

Wish I could say the same for the new Apple Music which is the biggest "turd" I've come across in a long time. What on earth were Apple thinking off when they developed the interface. "Lets make this as complicated and user unfriendly as possible."
[Try finding where the download music button is hidden (without a Google search) ]

Then they go and balls up my music library. Almost all my albums are screwed. I have Elton John mid way through Springsteen's "Born in the USA" Of course it doesn't even tell you. You have no idea it is screwed until you get EJ singing Rocket Man when it should be Dancing in the Dark. ... arrgh
Read some of the online reviews over the past few days you'll see how unhappy some Apple Fanboys are with the product.
  #45   IP: 37.152.235.3
Old 01-08-2015, 12:27 AM
Provost and Judge

Graham,

Download CC Cleaner or another on the same vein is Glarysoft Utilities. They both operate in doing much of the same thing, cleaning up your system and keeping it ticking along.

There are some differences between them both, but you can install both and run each of them together without any conflict. I've had both on my laptop for the past couple of years and run one or both about once a month.

I suspect your machine might be too long in the tooth for the windows 10 upgrade. But if you're thinking of upgrading to a newer machine, I wouldn't hesitate in suggesting you buy one with Windows 10 installed.

Nig
  #46   IP: 86.169.176.71
Old 04-08-2015, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powerfab View Post
Graham,

Download CC Cleaner or another on the same vein is Glarysoft Utilities. They both operate in doing much of the same thing, cleaning up your system and keeping it ticking along.

There are some differences between them both, but you can install both and run each of them together without any conflict. I've had both on my laptop for the past couple of years and run one or both about once a month.

I suspect your machine might be too long in the tooth for the windows 10 upgrade. But if you're thinking of upgrading to a newer machine, I wouldn't hesitate in suggesting you buy one with Windows 10 installed.

Nig
HI Nige , thanks for the above.

Just found this that might be of interest to all '10' users, on FB

"BEWARE!
I installed Windows 10 on 2 of our computers last night. Rather than just clicking on "Express Install" (which I suspect the majority of users will do), I used custom settings instead.
Boy oh boy! Alarm bells started ringing when I saw what permissions were being requested. So I looked at the privacy policy statement: “We will access, disclose and preserve personal data, including your content (such as the content of your emails, other private communications or files in private folders)".

Holy cow...
“To enable Cortana to provide personalised experiences and relevant suggestions, Microsoft collects and uses various types of data, such as your device location, data from your calendar, the apps you use, data from your emails and text messages, who you call, your contacts and how often you interact with them on your device.
Cortana also learns about you by collecting data about how you use your device and other Microsoft services, such as your music, alarm settings, whether the lockscreen is on, what you view and purchase, your browse and Bing search history, and more.”
Cortina will also collect "Your name and nickname, your recent calendar events and the names of the people in your appointments, and information about your contacts including names and nicknames”.

When you log on with a mcrosoft/outlook account, there's a heap of data sync'ed with microsoft servers: “web browser history, favorites, and websites you have open” in addition to “saved app, website, mobile hotspot, and Wi-Fi network names and passwords”.

Jeez... It gets worse: Windows 10 creates a unique advertising ID for each user. This ID can be used by app developers and advertising networks, and basically means that third parties are able to use your data to send you targeted ads. “The ads we select may be based on your current location, search query, or the content you are viewing. Other ads are targeted based on your likely interests or other information that we learn about you over time using demographic data, search queries, interests and favorites, usage data, and location data.”

The icing on the cake? Your encryption key is automatically sent to your OneDrive account. If there is ever a data breach in OneDrive, just think what could happen...

My advice in a nutshell:
Use Custom Settings when you install Windows 10, turn all the switches from Yes to No.
Deactivate Sync (change to No) in the Accounts tab
Change your Privacy settings to deny use of your Advertising ID.
Only turn a Setting from No to Yes if an app you MUST use won't work otherwise.

DISCLAIMER - This is only from a cursory review, and I am no techie. Just be careful what you allow Windows to do, unless you are entirely happy for a huge corporation to have access to personal data which may include sensitive and private information....
Feel free to share (with this disclaimer in mind).

Update; I have considered the legal aspects and I am concerned that, if you don't Opt Out of the features described above (Opt In is the default in Express Install), you are consciously allowing Microsoft access to AND USE OF private data which could include names, addresses, emails, birthdays, phone numbers, family members, etc. That would seem to be contrary to the Data Protection Act 1998. If Microsoft choose to store or "mirror" that data on servers outside the EU, you are breaking European law as well. Microsoft is an American corporation. Post 9-11 USA does not have the same legal and ethical considerations about data privacy that Europe has. So Miscrosoft doesn't care.
"
  #47   IP: 82.69.69.187
Old 05-08-2015, 10:16 AM

Wow not only do you buy an operating system you also contribute to Microsoft data on a repetitive basis.
A recent realization is that of Google drive, if you use this as back up beware it will really slow your machine, I guess they too are collecting information from those whom use it.

Systems summary
Reading the response to the thread I have drawn the following conclusions:

Much depends for what you use a PC for, a demand for MS Office Word – Excel – Access – PowerPoint – Browser & Email can be met by Linux distros – Apple – and of course Microsoft.
Only when your requirements are more demanding will you need to check out specific requirements.

Microsoft
Most of the users that have problems are willing to find solutions and add on’s to patch any shortcomings.
Microsoft must be the most common operating system and as such most third party software manufactures design their programs to operate within the Microsoft framework, the negative aspect is however the operating system becomes the target of virus writers.
The XP version was one of the more popular versions, however this version will no longer have support from Microsoft.
Upgrading from older versions often require more powerful processor and additional memory.
Why is it that Microsoft approved software is more expensive than competitive software, maybe there is financial gain from approved software.

Linux
There are many differing versions of Linux, additional third party software often distributed free of charge or at a very low cost.
Zorin while presenting a very similar interface to that of XP has differences which a Newby may take time to become comfortable with.
The differing versions make it more difficult to write virus programs.
Converting an old Microsoft PC to Zorin restores the machine to its former glory – speed and program response.
Those nevous to make the small adjustments must recall that originally had to find there way around Microsoft, in fact you can run Zorin from the DVD, it is not as fast as a hard drive installation. To try and get the feel it is a good solution; you can find demonstrations on the YouTube.
My own experience is that the system is solid and reliable.

Apple
General comments are that the operating system must be one of the best, however third party software is scarce in some cases and not so cheap.
My experience at this time is with the Maverick system, its solid- fast – reliable, in fact I cannot fault its operation. This seems to be endorsed my many forum members.
Contrary to many belief’s you do not need an Apple PC to run Apple operating system, yes I have an Apple laptop but I also use Maverick on my desktop, it works just perfect.
Interested just visit www.tonymacx86.com site, you will need a decent spec machine, the task is not so difficult.

It is possible to split your hard disk and have the choice of operating systems; known as re-partition this is not for those who are not comfortable with the PC workings.
My own choice is to keep systems completely separate and save work to a separate external hard drive, this avoids data loss if a system goes down.