The British Construction Equipment Forum  

Go Back   The British Construction Equipment Forum > EQUIPMENT > Innovations and New Technology

#21   IP: 81.152.245.63
Old 15-02-2012, 10:23 PM
Grand Master Architect

Default Re: Lorry on board weighing

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasteerwin View Post
i would love to put weighers on my hooklift lorrys but cant becuase of needing to power oil both ways for hook gear
Can you not have some kind of weighing kit on the axles? I seem to remember something about this but I can't be specific.
  #22   IP: 81.153.143.44
Old 15-02-2012, 10:30 PM
Perfect Master

possible but got to find a way to work it off tipping gear,a tipper lot who was running muck off a site i was on last year had a normal type gauge (similer to a gas regulater) plumbed into tippng ram pipe and mounted on hydraulic tank talk about cheap and simple
  #23   IP: 2.102.13.198
Old 15-02-2012, 10:36 PM
Knight of the East

Quote:
i would love to put weighers on my hooklift lorrys but cant becuase of needing to power oil both ways for hook gear
A mate of mine runs 8 hook lift trucks and on one of them has 'air weigh' it measures the deflation in the suspension very simple idea
http://www.air-weigh.co.uk/

Paul.

If you can't buy it build it
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by mogman; 15-02-2012 at 10:38 PM.
  #24   IP: 86.26.201.210
Old 15-02-2012, 10:59 PM
Master of the Ninth Arch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traxcavator. View Post
Roughly, figures i use..For Bulking ....Top soil 45%, Subsoil 40%, Clay lumpy 85%, clay blue as dug 75%, as raised ballast 5%.
Density..... dry top soil 1 tonne/M3 wet 1.4tonne/M3 Wet clay 1.8 tonne /M3 As raised ballast dry 1.6 tonne/M3 Wet 1.8 tonnes /M3 ... When digging ballast out of water and loading directly allow 17% water content, weight wise ..
Trax many many thanks for that.

Very insightful.

Personally I think you are too generous handing out information as detailed as that. After all I am sure those figures have been calculated by yourself using many years of experience and collected data.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
  #25   IP: 81.152.245.63
Old 15-02-2012, 11:09 PM
Grand Master Architect

Quote:
possible but got to find a way to work it off tipping gear,a tipper lot who was running muck off a site i was on last year had a normal type gauge (similer to a gas regulater) plumbed into tippng ram pipe and mounted on hydraulic tank talk about cheap and simple
Ovenden plant in Kent had them fitted to their tippers. West Coast Haulage had a couple of their old trucks and they were on there. I didn't underwstand them though. the numbers didn't make sense to me. They weren't in pounds or kilos.
  #26   IP: 195.93.21.41
Old 16-02-2012, 01:53 AM
Knight of the Rose Croix of H.R.D.M

Strott, nowerdays you can find the information on the net eventualy.
  #27   IP: 2.102.13.198
Old 16-02-2012, 07:51 PM
Knight of the East

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pecall View Post
Ovenden plant in Kent had them fitted to their tippers. West Coast Haulage had a couple of their old trucks and they were on there. I didn't underwstand them though. the numbers didn't make sense to me. They weren't in pounds or kilos.
All it is is a pressure gauge on the pipe to the ram so will only tell you how much oil pressure is in the ram not very accurate if a lot of the weight is at the tail gate i.e. the pivot it will have a low reading but the same amount nearer the ram will show a higher pressure

Paul.

#28   IP: 78.147.3.85
Old 16-02-2012, 08:17 PM
Master of the Ninth Arch

I remember back in the 80's you could get this pressure gauge set up for farm tractor/trailers. Cant remember the name of the firm but it was the same guy known as "the old sod" who runs auto jumbles etc.

I think this latest weighing kit from PM Onboard uses strain gauges attached to the trucks axles. (Dont quote me on that)

Mint.
  #29   IP: 86.164.145.174
Old 16-02-2012, 09:13 PM
Grand Master Architect

Quote:
Originally Posted by mogman View Post
All it is is a pressure gauge on the pipe to the ram so will only tell you how much oil pressure is in the ram not very accurate if a lot of the weight is at the tail gate i.e. the pivot it will have a low reading but the same amount nearer the ram will show a higher pressure

Paul.
I don't doubt that for a minute. These were pretty accurate though. There was a second needle in the gauge and after lifting the body about 6-10 inches and the black needle reached the red needle, the weight was just about spot on. These trucks had under body tipping gear. Don't know if this made that system more reliable.
  #30   IP: 2.103.43.109
Old 16-02-2012, 09:43 PM
Knight of the East

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pecall View Post
These trucks had under body tipping gear. Don't know if this made that system more reliable.
Very much so because the rams are nearer to the center of the body

Paul.