The British Construction Equipment Forum  

Go Back   The British Construction Equipment Forum > EQUIPMENT > Innovations and New Technology

#11   IP: 176.27.80.82
Old 21-04-2015, 11:23 PM

Default Re: Operating systems

i use linux kubuntu exellent been using it for years with some newer machines you will have to change to legacy boot tho easily done in the bios download the iso file and run no problems
  #12   IP: 5.81.139.234
Old 21-04-2015, 11:44 PM
Knight of the Rose Croix of H.R.D.M

Location: Druid central, just East of Pandy, Nr. Abergavenny, S. Wales, UK, 3rd rock from the Sun

Quote:
Originally Posted by heritage-machining View Post
i use linux kubuntu exellent been using it for years with some newer machines you will have to change to legacy boot tho easily done in the bios download the iso file and run no problems
could you repeat that in a format I could understand please??

XP Luddite Druid
  #13   IP: 176.27.80.82
Old 23-04-2015, 07:56 PM

ah sorry its fairly easy to sort you need to go to kubuntu website and download a iso file eithe 32bit or 64 bit most newer computers are 64 bit then burn a dvd as an iso file it will ask when you burn it then get into the bios usually by pressing f2 on startup change the boot sequence to dvd drive first and hdd second then check if its in legacy boot or uefi it will tell you how to change it windows 8 is uefi then save and exit stick the disk in and turn on the computer it will guide you thruogh the setup i normally remove windows all together as i hate it

hope that makes a bit more sense Tom
  #14   IP: 46.33.141.223
Old 23-04-2015, 08:48 PM
Grand Master Architect

Just take the welder to it Druid
  #15   IP: 176.27.80.82
Old 23-04-2015, 11:04 PM

hammer is more satisfing
  #16   IP: 82.69.69.187
Old 28-07-2015, 07:27 PM

Update
Good day folks
From the interest I guess this justify s an update and NO this is not spam , I have been a PC user since DOS 3.1, up to the point of XP remained a Microsoft user.
I noted that after a period of time each update had the curious habit of becoming slow even inoperable to a certain degree.
Carrying out maintenance increasing the memory – installing new processor had little long term effect, only a new operating system appeared to fix the issue (money to Gates).
This only lasted for a similar period again the machine became slow and very irritating.
Fed up with this merry go round I decided enough was enough.
Got hold of a Mac Maverick operating system installed to a hard drive never missed a beat after three years as good as the day I installed the system.
I can only endorse what the other contributors have stated its good.
Having been disillusioned with operating systems during this time I adopted the principle of belt and braces.
Installing an additional drive switch from Messrs Rapid electronics I then added a drive, on this occasion I chose a solid state for quick booting.
To this drive I installed a Linux derivative Zorin a form of Unbuntu yet again this proved to be even better than the Seattle crooks offering, whats more this is free and extremely competitive depending which version you choose. If you are new to this I suggest you try the free version first.
I hope you find this of interest since I feel we as users have been ripped of and I note the culprits are starting to lay of folk they have employed.
Kind regards

Last edited by Uffex1900; 28-07-2015 at 07:36 PM.
  #17   IP: 31.52.88.211
Old 28-07-2015, 10:46 PM
Knight of the Rose Croix of H.R.D.M

Location: Druid central, just East of Pandy, Nr. Abergavenny, S. Wales, UK, 3rd rock from the Sun

well all that went straight over this Druid's head !!!!!
Anyone else care to admit it too, or better still ......... translate it?
  #18   IP: 146.199.149.19
Old 28-07-2015, 11:18 PM
Provost and Judge

File it as tripe. I'm not even going to bother trying to "translate" it.

If what you have works stick with it. Computer problems only arise when you tinker under the hood, or in the case of Uffex, a complete engine transplant.

Nig
  #19   IP: 82.69.69.187
Old 29-07-2015, 06:19 PM

Well I am really sorry if my post is a subject of confusion, first may I say that I endorse the view “if it is not broken don’t fix it”.
I’m sure that there are a lot of keyboard operators that are of similar disposition as me ( Fast approaching 70, learning PC operation much as I learnt to drive a Drott through the seat of my pants.)
I suggest that life is continual learning curve and can be fun if you subscribe to that view, however if the subject is of little interest you have my sympathy.
Machines of today come with a Electronic Controls Units sorry if this goes against the grain but the industry will adjust to live with these devices, part of the understanding requires some knowledge, part of the leaning curve is that of the operating systems used.
Since the forums heading is that of “New Technology” I presumed the post may well be aimed in the correct place.
  #20   IP: 82.69.69.187
Old 29-07-2015, 06:27 PM

Well I am really sorry if my post is a subject of confusion, first may I say that I endorse the view “if it is not broken don’t fix it”.
I’m sure that there are a lot of keyboard operators that are of similar disposition as me ( Fast approaching 70, learning PC operation much as I learnt to drive a Drott through the seat of my pants.)
I suggest that life is continual learning curve and can be fun if you subscribe to that view, however if the subject is of little interest you have my sympathy.
Machines of today come with a Electronic Controls Units sorry if this goes against the grain but the industry will adjust to live with these devices, part of the understanding requires some knowledge, part of the leaning curve is that of the operating systems used.
Since the forums heading is that of “New Technology” I presumed the post may well be aimed in the correct place.