The British Construction Equipment Forum  

Go Back   The British Construction Equipment Forum > INDUSTRY MATTERS > Finance and Administration

#11   IP: 86.142.27.77
Old 11-03-2015, 08:53 PM
Knight of the East

Default Re: Umbrella Companies!

Quote:
Originally Posted by doobin View Post
Nigel, for God's sake go self employed. You're instantly more employable, command a slightly higher rate and can claim mileage etc. Nothing to stop you going PAYE if the right job comes up, you might end up on an emergency tax code for a bit but it'll come right in the end.
Not quite as simple as that in the Large Leagues Doob. They will still want you to use a umbrella regardless unless your a Limited company... Which is a lot of money/hassle and pretty pointless. There is nothing to stop you from registering/acting as self employed and doing PAYE work alongside but you'll pay higher tax (you'll get it back on a rebate later though) and if you do this you don't want to claim expenses either as it makes the accountants work harder.

My personal view would be to avoid that agency work. Despite them telling you it's long term i'd bet my bottom dollar that it's a few weeks relief work... Worth Ringing the likes of Chepstow plant directly and seeing if they have anything.

Good luck with whatever you choose Nige, but as I've said before a chance with the likes of Trax is the opportunity to take as a firm like his will nurture your talent/enthusiasm rather than just profiting from it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
To Be Continued.....
  #12   IP: 86.142.83.13
Old 11-03-2015, 09:47 PM
Knight of the Rose Croix of H.R.D.M

Location: Druid central, just East of Pandy, Nr. Abergavenny, S. Wales, UK, 3rd rock from the Sun

Quote:
Originally Posted by komatsu View Post
Not sure Gra, just thought of Nigel when they put it up on Twitter about 10 mins before I put it on here
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8Druid View Post
I would imagine the A465 job, down here'll have more than its share of 'labour'/op.s/etc., required shortly too Ol?
Alun Griffiths, in Abergavenny, is advertising for all sorts of op.s currently, apparently
  #13   IP: 86.142.83.13
Old 11-03-2015, 09:51 PM
Knight of the Rose Croix of H.R.D.M

Location: Druid central, just East of Pandy, Nr. Abergavenny, S. Wales, UK, 3rd rock from the Sun

Quote:
Originally Posted by doobin View Post
Nigel, for God's sake go self employed. You're instantly more employable, command a slightly higher rate and can claim mileage etc. Nothing to stop you going PAYE if the right job comes up, you might end up on an emergency tax code for a bit but it'll come right in the end.

If you're self-employed, mechanically sympathetic and have a good work ethic, doors just open. Your ADT boss might have no work for a week, but you can bet your bottom dollar that if you're any good his mate with the mini diggers will want to borrow you to sit on a three tonner for some ditching for a few days. Or the farmer down the road will want a hand with spud planting. Or harvest.

If your self employed it's just so much easier for all concerned. Knock on a farmers door, give them your UTR number and they know it's all above board and they can easily offset your bill against tax. Plenty of people, particularly rurally, don't give a rats arse about tickets, and you will gain valuable experience for if you do decide to do a digger ticket or whatever.
Sounds like good advice to me Nigel - much greater flexibility, self employed, with all sorts (and a cheap stamp!!) - lotsa tax off sets too mate
  #14   IP: 213.205.252.64
Old 11-03-2015, 09:55 PM

Interesting point JD450A about relief work

One can never get a straight answer out of these agencies. But, at least I have a rolling ball, set off a bit quicker than I thought!

The money at the mo is not the issue, and I'm fully aware that starting out in the right environment is of creator importance. With that, I am looking at the options. A large quarry just might just offer that, if one forgets about the admin side?

I certainly plan on contacting Chepstow as a matter of course.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

#15   IP: 155.143.14.54
Old 12-03-2015, 07:41 AM
Provost and Judge

Hear a lot of horror stories with agency's, if your face doesn't fit from the start you could be up the road no matter how good you are

I've never dealt with umbrella companies, all the best with it the adt
  #16   IP: 213.205.252.64
Old 12-03-2015, 10:14 AM

Local Diggers

More the cycle touring route these days. But, do plan on building a MTB in due course

http://nigelsbicyclejourneys.com/

Tags
adt, agencies, hmrc, umbrella companies