The British Construction Equipment Forum  

Go Back   The British Construction Equipment Forum > INDUSTRY MATTERS > Finance and Administration

#21   IP: 86.133.134.111
Old 05-07-2011, 07:47 PM
Provost and Judge

Default Re: Is this a suicide bid?

the job is tolvadon some new roads and 2 sites for buildins on a science park
  #22   IP: 91.125.249.92
Old 09-07-2011, 03:14 PM
Elect of Fifteen

One in four tender responses classed as 'suicide bids' say RICS members
http://www.rics.org/site/scripts/pre...sreleaseID=542
  #23   IP: 90.193.135.63
Old 09-07-2011, 07:59 PM
Prince of Jerusalem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hi-Drive View Post
.........- to be around half the price must surely ring alarm bells with anyone posessing half a brain.
The trouble in all parts of the industry are much the same, lack of experienced people to say something aint right here! and do something about it.

All these bodies puff out their chests and preach about best practice, safe working blah, blah blah then go against all the past experiences of cheapest isnt necessarily best with constant running battles over standards of work, welfare etc etc.

When the battles start over out of sequence working, unforseen this and that and all the usual old school tricks to get the extras paid for somebody is going to realise they didnt read the small print properly.

I heard of a company that had a price accepted for drainage on a job. They did not include, mention or price for any of the manholes. The QS that accepted the price assumed the drainage would include the manholes as its part of the drainage never assume

Thinking about it I believe the story was they priced and built the manholes but ommited the runs inbetween

Rotation excavation across the Nation.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
  #24   IP: 195.93.21.39
Old 09-07-2011, 09:11 PM
Knight of the Rose Croix of H.R.D.M

Roadbridge are an agressive go getting company they will not have priced this Job without some way of winning a profit or a break even.....Sisk are also known for there subbie bashing antics....I know i have worked for them..
Equally they Know how to win their profit.
  #25   IP: 90.193.135.63
Old 09-07-2011, 09:21 PM
Prince of Jerusalem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traxcavator. View Post
..... also known for there subbie bashing antics....I know i have worked for them..
And lived to tell the tale I bet many others would have ended up with a lot less.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
  #26   IP: 88.87.189.64
Old 09-07-2011, 09:22 PM
Knight of the East and West

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traxcavator. View Post
Roadbridge are an agressive go getting company they will not have priced this Job without some way of winning a profit or a break even.....Sisk are also known for there subbie bashing antics....I know i have worked for them..
Equally they Know how to win their profit.
Interesting observation...................
  #27   IP: 90.193.135.63
Old 09-07-2011, 09:41 PM
Prince of Jerusalem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stock.. View Post
Interesting observation...................
Can I expect to see this dragged out of the archives in a few years time while we are conducting an auto topps thingy into the sad demise of yet another giant of the construction industry

#28   IP: 195.93.21.39
Old 09-07-2011, 09:48 PM

Sisk gave me some site instructions without price....for some reason. Our being next door to the site helped to. The fact that we hit the job with a 30 tonne machine and four A25's A dozer a road sweeper and a dumptruck mounted dust suppressor then worked 11 hrs a day and pulled trees down that were costing them much more with tree surgeons seemed to impress them. Come the final Valuation the had three men in the site office with me on my own a fouth came in playing bad guy. When they thought they had got me on some volumes i pulled the survey plans out, top quality quantity surveying. They didn't realise how extensive and particular our surveyor was. Any way we were in the office for over two hours. My built in extras , expenable ones, helped do the trick.
  #29   IP: 86.157.58.100
Old 10-07-2011, 12:18 AM
Prince of Jerusalem

This working just for the sake of working is not a new fernomina in South Yorkshire....its been going on for years and years.Theres some real desperadoes round my way.
  #30   IP: 195.93.21.39
Old 10-07-2011, 05:12 AM

Sean, most have to work in order to live. Then there are some with nothing else to do. Unfortunately the older ones often die no long after they give up working. If you dont have a job how will you pay for an alternative to work let alone live,