The British Construction Equipment Forum  

Go Back   The British Construction Equipment Forum > INDUSTRY MATTERS > Finance and Administration

#1   IP: 88.87.189.64
Old 08-07-2011, 05:50 PM
Knight of the East and West

Default Energy prices ....on the way up

Millions of households will see their utility bills break the 100 a month barrier after British Gas announced price hikes of up to 24%.
Some nine million customers will be hit when the supplier raises gas and electricity prices by an average of 18% and 16% respectively from August 18.
The average dual fuel bill will rise by 190 a year to 1,219, pushing the average monthly bill to 101.58p, piling pressure on already-squeezed household incomes.
Last month, Scottish Power announced a similar hike in bills and the rest of the 'big six' suppliers are expected to follow suit in coming weeks.
The British Gas move intensified calls for a review of the energy market and will leave more households facing the choice between heating or eating.
The firm said the hike was in response to a 30% increase in wholesale prices since last winter, claiming it was currently selling energy at a loss.
But Mike O'Connor, chief executive of Consumer Focus, said wholesale prices are still a third lower than their peak in 2008 yet British Gas had hiked gas and electricity prices by around 44% and 21% respectively in that period.
He added: "This price rise will send a shock wave across the country. The impact on customers will be severe, piling more pressure on severely stretched household budgets and pushing hundreds of thousands more households into fuel poverty."
The most recent rise means that some bills will increase by as much as 24% depending on how customers pay and where they live. The minimum increase will be 12%.
British Gas managing director Phil Bentley, said: "We know there is never a good time to raise prices but we are buying in a global energy market and have to pay the market rate.
  #2   IP: 123.2.47.139
Old 09-07-2011, 12:46 AM
Elect of Fifteen

Default Re: Energy prices ....on the way up

I should purchase my power from British Gas then as my monthly cost has been well over 100 pounds for years ,they might be cheaper than my current supplier
  #3   IP: 78.145.245.63
Old 07-08-2011, 04:51 PM
Grand Master Architect

What was the problem with coal? Er, no, just cant seem to remember. Ah yes it was the violent tendancies of those drunken Northern mining folk wasnt it? No we couldn't possibly go back to using coal again let the gas prices rise I'm happy to keep putting my hand in my pocket for those nice gas fatcats

Surely the time must come when they price themselves out of the domestic energy market. There are alternatives they just need to be made to look more cost effective for example ground heat pumps. Lots of work for diggers or drillers there

Perhaps its a good thing these fossil fuel prices go up, as alternative energy sources look cheaper it may open opportunities for people outside the petrol or gas industry. Surely they cant monopolise all the energy alternatives.

Bring it on, just hoping to live long enough to see what happens Mint
  #4   IP: 86.168.11.25
Old 07-08-2011, 09:36 PM
Knight of the Rose Croix of H.R.D.M

yep SSE have just put my monthly DD to 100 for power

life is hard , but its harder if you're stupid
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
  #5   IP: 94.196.111.105
Old 08-08-2011, 01:21 AM
Grand Master Architect

Err Mintsauce,think the problem with coal was the idiot in charge of the union n the idiot in charge of the country!Since privatisation,most utilities owned by foreign companies,the money that should go to investment goes to investors pockets,all perfect examples of the short term gain persued by governments of all colours in this country,who are after all looking out 'for' BIG business,not the citizens!'Cheap' energy will be a thing of the past,its going to take up an increasing proportion of people's incomes,and 'your' government is more concerned with the'freedom' of the market,than its effects on us!
  #6   IP: 2.98.214.184
Old 08-08-2011, 06:15 PM
Grand Master Architect

Yes Lynchy that was really a bit tounge in cheek, just a friendly dig. What I really meant was that coal was and still is a viable energy source and as you say its politics and short term gains for some that get in the way of a genuinely British resource.

Hope I havnt offended anyone! Mint
  #7   IP: 94.196.123.97
Old 08-08-2011, 06:33 PM
Grand Master Architect

lol mate,as somebody who worked on the open cast at the time of the strike,no offence taken here!Mind you I might be a northerner,but i am in bristol at the mo!Totally agree about the coal issue though,a land built on coal and surrounded by seas full of fish should'nt go cold or hungry,so we shut down the mines n the fishermen throw back loads of dead fish,mad init??????
  #8   IP: 2.98.214.184
Old 08-08-2011, 06:44 PM
Grand Master Architect

No I dont get it either

Think I read somewhere youre working on the Bridge Valley Road, the scaffold there is a real work of art.

Have you been there since the start?
  #9   IP: 94.196.123.97
Old 08-08-2011, 07:34 PM
Grand Master Architect

No mate just started on here about 6 weeks ago,I believe the scaffolds been up about a year?Yeah there was a fair bit to it,mostly down now.Job seems to be going quite well,drilling off 360, telehandler and A frames,quite enjoying it down here,first time I've been on days for ages!Got mountain bike with me so getting fit going out round the park of an evening,been out in clifton,quite good too!
  #10   IP: 95.144.193.2
Old 10-08-2011, 01:16 AM
Knight of the East

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mintsauce View Post

Surely the time must come when they price themselves out of the domestic energy market. There are alternatives they just need to be made to look more cost effective for example ground heat pumps. Lots of work for diggers or drillers there
Just been out to france, Lots of nice Truck mounted Rigs with big onboard compressors and 20' masts aswell as some tidy blast drill rigs... price tags are alot lower than here.

Energy prices do not worry me, I suppose because I'm young and stupid but also because I know that there are many otherways to keep myself warm and electrically powered.

If it gets to a point I reckon I could knock up a very basic - but workable VA wind turbine for under 1000.

Coal is something I hope britain won't touch for another 20 years. I'm not a greenie just someone that recognises that currently cheap energy is importable and in 20yrs we could and should be exporting power.

Nuclear is something I personally disagree with at this point, would I care if someone built a plant next to me... Probablynot, would I argue for it, no.

Hydroelectricity is something that should be developed in the UK, it's sustainable and sensible. And if any hippies want to challenge that I'll post some photos of the awesome dam I went to see in france... built in 1920 something, before greenieism was fashionable.

On other news I see londoners are burning rubbish to keep warm. Sensible and sustainable recycling there

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
To Be Continued.....