The British Construction Equipment Forum  

Go Back   The British Construction Equipment Forum > INDUSTRY MATTERS > Finance and Administration

#21   IP: 92.40.125.229
Old 24-11-2013, 08:05 AM
Knight of the East

Default Re: What you getting paid???

Quote:
Originally Posted by pond digger View Post
But what's UBR? Sorry if I'm being thick
I would guess your business rates?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
To Be Continued.....
  #22   IP: 86.145.184.198
Old 24-11-2013, 09:27 AM
Knight of the East and West

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD450A View Post
Oh I see. Don't get me started on that one. Too late

To my mind, the purpose of bis rates, is to reimburse the public purse for the cost of supporting infrastructure provided to your business. But it is not. It is a tax on assumed income, based on property valuation, but unlike income tax, there is no consideration given as to whether the income is there to tax. That is why it can be such an issue for small, new business. It's a very blunt form of taxation that needs a damn good shake up.
  #23   IP: 86.165.228.11
Old 24-11-2013, 09:28 AM
Knight of the Rose Croix of H.R.D.M

Location: Druid central, just East of Pandy, Nr. Abergavenny, S. Wales, UK, 3rd rock from the Sun

Quote:
But what's UBR? Sorry if I'm being thick
Quote:
Yeah guys - Unified Business Rates.
Close on a grand a month!!!!
A crippling tax that I got virtually nothing for.
Had to pay an extra 8 quid a week for a wheely bin, you'd struggle to get into.
Water and sewage was on top again, a serious wedge, for next to now't - 2 loos and a couple of hand basins. No street lighting anywhere near and the only time you'd see a plod was when my alarm went off and the monitoring station called 'em to attend !!
I was usually there before them, from 10 miles away!!

Do not get me started on UBR !!!!!!!!!

Even though I've not been trading since Sept '10, I still have to pay 100% rates, every month. Empty or occupied!!!!!
  #24   IP: 86.165.228.11
Old 24-11-2013, 09:49 AM

Location: Druid central, just East of Pandy, Nr. Abergavenny, S. Wales, UK, 3rd rock from the Sun

Quote:
Oh I see. Don't get me started on that one. Too late

To my mind, the purpose of bis rates, is to reimburse the public purse for the cost of supporting infrastructure provided to your business. But it is not. It is a tax on assumed income, based on property valuation, but unlike income tax, there is no consideration given as to whether the income is there to tax. That is why it can be such an issue for small, new business. It's a very blunt form of taxation that needs a damn good shake up.
Ditto PD.
Don't get me started on UBR.
The 'multiplier' for it is based on a scale of 1 to 10 against your square footage.
One being barely habitable, ten being a brand new, state of the art building.
Default is TEN!!

You have to fight to get a proper assessment done and even then are not assured of any success/reduction.
My 1930s bldg should have been a '3' on the scale - old and leaked heat like an open top car!!

Could never get any reduction and to add insult to injury the ba****ds are still charging me 100% even though it's not been used/occupied since Sept. '10 for commercial enterprise.

Only way round it is to 'flat pack' the bldg, for which you need planning consent!!
It has taken almost three years to get two applications approved to do anything with it, including 'flat packing' it, to save me the 'kin rates, every month!!!!!!

Meanwhile the same authority, who have dragged their planning feet to the point of having a public inquiry appointed against them, scheduled for July this year, have been bleeding me dry, whilst they make up their ******* minds!!!!!!!

Don't get me started on UBR!!!!!!
  #25   IP: 92.40.3.202
Old 08-01-2014, 08:07 PM
Grand Master Architect

Not a bad month to end the year,just to show there is decent money to be made out there!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20140108_170552_0.jpg (89.9 KB, 114 views)
  #26   IP: 86.165.231.132
Old 08-01-2014, 09:18 PM
Knight of the East

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynchy View Post
Not a bad month to end the year,just to show there is decent money to be made out there!
Can I come and work with you next Christmas please.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
To Be Continued.....
  #27   IP: 92.40.3.202
Old 08-01-2014, 09:26 PM
Grand Master Architect

Quote:
Can I come and work with you next Christmas please.
Lol mate 14 years ago it was 80 hr @xmas,and a big farmhouse xmas dinner,always remember some ALE lads jacking in a culvert xmas/boxing day back then,over the moon they were getting treble time,35 hr,didnt have the heart,ok i did,to tell them we were on 80 just sitting in machine watching them!
  #28   IP: 86.180.8.19
Old 09-01-2016, 05:43 PM
Elect of Fifteen

what a load of sh*t,train drivers were on strike the other day over pay and conditions and there on mid thirtees. come and live in wales you get now where near and should think yourself lucky,in the building boom i had 5 people working for me and just about made 45k pile of paper work and accountants bills well over 1000 a year ,cis,cpcs,public liability etc this country does everything it can to stifle anyone with any ambition.all british industry f*cked and were importing stuff made from all the crap we sent to china,my advice is get as much cash as you can ,disclose nothing to no one on paper or internet and scam as much as you can because thats the only way youll get on in this country.australia have the right idea if you dont have anything positive to give you can f*ck off!!by the way happy new year to you all
  #29   IP: 86.186.125.34
Old 09-01-2016, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mart1602 View Post
what a load of sh*t,train drivers were on strike the other day over pay and conditions and there on mid thirtees. come and live in wales you get now where near and should think yourself lucky,in the building boom i had 5 people working for me and just about made 45k pile of paper work and accountants bills well over 1000 a year ,cis,cpcs,public liability etc this country does everything it can to stifle anyone with any ambition.all british industry f*cked and were importing stuff made from all the crap we sent to china,my advice is get as much cash as you can ,disclose nothing to no one on paper or internet and scam as much as you can because thats the only way youll get on in this country.australia have the right idea if you dont have anything positive to give you can f*ck off!!by the way happy new year to you all
As has been said many times afore ......... where's the bloody like button!!
  #30   IP: 82.132.238.106
Old 09-01-2016, 06:11 PM
Grand Master Architect

What's a 'load of shit'?������