The British Construction Equipment Forum  

Go Back   The British Construction Equipment Forum > INDUSTRY MATTERS > Finance and Administration

#11   IP: 92.12.152.207
Old 31-03-2014, 05:45 AM
Knight of the Rose Croix of H.R.D.M

Default Re: CIS wtf?

The agency's should draw their fee from the rate they charge the companies, not the operatives pay.
  #12   IP: 94.196.226.231
Old 31-03-2014, 09:51 PM
Grand Master Architect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traxcavator. View Post
The agency's should draw their fee from the rate they charge the companies, not the operatives pay.
Correct but there are situations where contracting co's own the agency they use,and then people have to use a 'designated' payroll co,paying £20+ a week to get your wage,all of which fees/payroll fees could be split between co doing work n worker,I know of long term job where agency getting fiver an hour per man,blokes working 7 days week,fair chunk of change for agency making phone call 'your hired' then months later 'your off hire' lol
  #13   IP: 92.12.154.176
Old 01-04-2014, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynchy View Post
Correct but there are situations where contracting co's own the agency they use,and then people have to use a 'designated' payroll co,paying £20+ a week to get your wage,all of which fees/payroll fees could be split between co doing work n worker,I know of long term job where agency getting fiver an hour per man,blokes working 7 days week,fair chunk of change for agency making phone call 'your hired' then months later 'your off hire' lol
My fathers company uses a payroll Co but they pay this company to prepare the payroll not charge the men. Easy way to overcome any tax laws regarding self employed in this way is to pay the operative £25 more per week then deduct the fee. All smiles eh ...... ?
  #14   IP: 188.29.68.217
Old 01-04-2014, 09:26 PM
Grand Master Architect

If only other co's were so 'forward' looking,seems like its causing right load of grief/confusion judging by plant/rail pages on facecraic,had 2 agencies on today bout local work,no thanks,lol one even ended up offering 20 quid a day ex's,wonder if this will become the norm,maybe if people are smart enuff to start asking instead of just taking whats offered
  #15   IP: 92.12.154.176
Old 02-04-2014, 05:28 AM

Self employed means you are your own boss. ie you run your own company, so you have to make the deals and make the commercial decisions. I don't get a job then see what i get paid. I name the rates and there maybe a discussion with the client for a bit of discount, if he thinks my price is too high then he'll go else where, then it is up to me if I want to lower my rates in order to win the work. We have self employed operators at times, No deductions are made from an agreed rate save for the tax. Expenses for travelling etc obviously vary depending on location. Their pay is in the bank every seven days.
  #16   IP: 188.29.68.249
Old 10-04-2014, 10:53 PM
Grand Master Architect

See 'sparkys' kicking off on london jobs,stop job and getting taken 'on books'!
  #17   IP: 188.29.91.184
Old 24-05-2014, 11:12 PM

hi everybody,i joined the forum 6 months ago looking for info on renewing my cpcs blue cards as i had no log book for proof of work completed.i read some good stuff about validating myself plus advice from mates and got my tickets renewed.them clowns at c-skills,cpcs or whatever the twats class themselves as were useless.after nearly £20 of premium rate calls the best i could get out of them was to have someone assess me. i could supply use of a crane and telehandler for free and the cheapest quote was £350 for both categories!anyway as i say i found out about self validation so all sorted.
i was suprised to see how quick the government could try to fuck the construction worker over again with this latest CIS stunt.unfortunately 90% of my work is through the parasite agencies and as i have not worked this month i have yet to see the change in pay when i start work next week.i rang a few agency guys who i can trust and they did their best to explain to me about handing in receipts weekly etc.to me my couple of grand tax return is a bonus for being in and out of work in construction.travelling round the country chasing work etc.i have mates who have jacked in jobs because they are worse off because off this confusion.i wish when i started with 'o'rourke's in the 90's they had bought a supermarket so i could now stack shelves.
  #18   IP: 188.29.68.188
Old 25-05-2014, 01:11 PM
Grand Master Architect

looks like hmrc 'looking' into payroll/umbrella co's now,promising guy's can 'keep' upto 95% of income,
Thing is its been a great help to governments/big business this rush downwards to 'flexible' working,'self employment' where would all those car washes be without all those 'self employed' car washers???
  #19   IP: 92.41.84.72
Old 26-05-2014, 10:44 PM

lynchy i had more cash 20 odd years ago when i used to valet cars haha.
i would have recommended civils as a good job to get into in the 90's.i am so disheartened with the industry now,especially the plant side.the wealth and safety,agencies,umbrella companies and small companies getting rich quick off the back of immigration at the expense of the worker.
i need to investigate the pros and cons of becoming a limited company.i'm not that clued up with legislation perhaps that's why i work on a site.i should actually rejoin ucatt for help.i left them after a redundancy meeting when my rep was more interested in what biscuits this clone from HR was offering him than my impending unfair redundacy.
i moved back to my old digs with my mate a retired pipelayer(we worked for years together)this weekend for work and to escape the mrs haha.
i got some slinging and telehandler work lined up but have to be prepared for this hmrc fuckery.i just want the old days back,turn up at site,tell the paddy gaffer,watch me work,if you ai'nt happy do'nt pay me for today.he says"sound £ex amount a day and he's good with the pen if you work good.on the books
or self employed you knew where you were.agency parasites thriving on governments doing hardworking site workers up the gary glitter.
anyone know of any decent paid supermarket shelf stacking jobs in south wales so i can go home,i am missing my terriers more than the girlfriend?