The British Construction Equipment Forum  

Go Back   The British Construction Equipment Forum > EXTRAS > PRODUCTS AND SERVICES

#21   IP: 176.26.239.225
Old 14-09-2015, 03:59 PM
Knight of the East

Default Re: R.Sanders Plant Hire

ok fair enough i guess it is relative to each side of the industry

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
  #22   IP: 81.158.90.127
Old 14-09-2015, 04:14 PM
Knight of the East

For the moment and with the sizes of machine I currently have I'm pretty happy showing the rates. If in the future I do go for larger machines (which I must admit I'd like to do) then it will enter Trax's relm of wear and tear.... Having worn a set of komatsu teeth down to square tips in a day ripping up a haulroad I can fully appreciate costs! Tracking long distances is another. One nice thing locally is the lack of really abrasive materials, the nearest gravel pit is about 45mins away (Zigzag) and bar that most material is slate/fractured slate.

For the time being I try to charge hourly rates... It makes my life a little bit less scary than pricing jobs as I know i'm making money every hour and not having to worry about things becoming unpredictable, however obviously you often don't make as much as you could have.

Quote:
To Be Continued.....

Last edited by JD450A; 14-09-2015 at 04:20 PM.
  #23   IP: 81.151.174.233
Old 14-09-2015, 07:10 PM
Knight of the Rose Croix of H.R.D.M

Location: Druid central, just East of Pandy, Nr. Abergavenny, S. Wales, UK, 3rd rock from the Sun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traxcavator. View Post
Dan/Miriam.... that works for you but there's no way it would for us. I can understand your method working for domestic hire and I guess it works for your other work so that's good. Thing is with our type of work, heavy, road construction, concreting engineering earth works, riverworks, sssi site work etc you can never just quote an hourly rate. The machine might use, wear out, in quarry work , for instance, all 6 teeth in 6 weeks. That is a cost of 480 plus fitter and down time.... There's no way that cost is being pulled from the standard hourly rate !! Every job is different and there fore hourly rates are different too, so it's talk on phone then site visit if necessary then price accordingly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traxcavator. View Post
Rory I will say I'm not 100% here but I don't think you need to display your VAT number or any other numbers on your web site. Invoices yes. I would not advertise prices either 1, competition will use them against you. Yes they can call and ask but at least you know who they are and you can adjust prices on dialogue, don't be in a hurry to give out cheap prices, give a range and then request that you visit the site, this way you weed out the con men and users. Also if any person viewing your site doesn't like your prices they won't call and you need them to call, you can then submit your pitch and discuss the prices. You do what you think is best for your business at the end of the day but have a think.
Tim, I do't think there is a requirement to display your VAT or Co. Reg. No. on a website ......... but, if you're quoting " plus Vat " on everything it reassures punters that, you're 'Bona Fide' and not just lumping on yet another 20% that'll be going no-where other than in yer own bank account.

As for the pricing, I have to agree with Dan ........... and your self, but as you've eloquently reasoned, you're both in totally different fields.
Dan, Rory, et al in their line of biz are hardly likely to .. wear out a set of teeth to paraphrase your example, or similar, where as in your line that sort of overhead is a genuine one that you can't really 'put up on a price list' !!
I'd imagine that you rarely have to deal with Joe Soap asking the ins and outs of a DA several times a day, whereas by doing what Dan, Rory, et al do, by advertising their rates reasonably comprehensively, I can well believe it must save them hours of grief!!

ON EDIT Just realised I'd missed the two posts above, so apologies if I've repeated anything

Last edited by V8Druid; 14-09-2015 at 07:12 PM.
  #24   IP: 78.150.131.110
Old 23-09-2015, 09:56 PM
Sublime Master Elected

Be interesting to see how you get on with ebay. Look forward to hearing if you get many hits or work.
  #25   IP: 86.137.135.192
Old 23-09-2015, 10:42 PM
Knight of the East

Quote:
Originally Posted by diggerjones View Post
Be interesting to see how you get on with ebay. Look forward to hearing if you get many hits or work.
To be honest I doubt I will, only reason I've bothered is someone else local is doing it. For Free advertising if it gets one job it's a goodun.

Out of interest has anyone stumbled across this yet? http://www.planthirefinder.co.uk/cit...lant-Hire.html

For 10 a year it's bugger all.

Quote:
To Be Continued.....
  #26   IP: 82.20.150.176
Old 24-09-2015, 07:13 PM
Master of the Ninth Arch

I went into the National Plant hire guide once - don't think I got one call!

#27   IP: 31.49.119.242
Old 24-09-2015, 07:49 PM

Location: Druid central, just East of Pandy, Nr. Abergavenny, S. Wales, UK, 3rd rock from the Sun

Quote:
Originally Posted by strott View Post
I went into the National Plant hire guide once - don't think I got one call!
Like you Steve .....been there .... done that .... total waste of money!! amazes me how it continues!!
  #28   IP: 31.49.119.242
Old 24-09-2015, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD450A View Post
To be honest I doubt I will, only reason I've bothered is someone else local is doing it. For Free advertising if it gets one job it's a goodun.

Out of interest has anyone stumbled across this yet? http://www.planthirefinder.co.uk/cit...lant-Hire.html

For 10 a year it's bugger all.
How often do they update that Rory - looked at Abergavenny out of curiosity -
'A plant' ain't been in Aber in many years and there's one bloke on there who's dead !!
  #29   IP: 176.26.239.225
Old 24-09-2015, 08:26 PM
Knight of the East

ebay is a waste of time, i tried it for a few months.. got nowt. i can always tell who just bought a digger and is trying to get work... they get on ebay, then after a few weeks they learn and stop advertising on there. its a steady stream

#30   IP: 151.228.249.87
Old 28-09-2015, 08:21 PM
Perfect Master

I'm using eBay as a day filler, get a lot of calls off it. There are a lot of messers, and of course fellow competitors calling up checking out prices pretending to need work done, as soon as you mention site visit and risk assessment's they stutter and hang up or make excuses