The British Construction Equipment Forum  

Go Back   The British Construction Equipment Forum > INDUSTRY MATTERS > Finance and Administration

#1   IP: 213.205.252.64
Old 10-03-2015, 05:17 PM

Default Umbrella Companies!

Hi,

I'm on the march soon for work as an ADT operator, and before I start dealing with agencies (if I have to) and umbrella companies, any advice please on this direction?

From what I gather online, the claims and promises made by umbrella companies vary enormously; most of them will sound too good to be true... ?

I spoke to an account about going self-employed and he categorically said 'stay away from umbrella companies', they're a scam and the GOV is soon to crack down on them'. 'In time you'll find HMRC come knocking' ... that we don't want!

Nigel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
  #2   IP: 92.23.94.46
Old 10-03-2015, 07:47 PM
Master Elect of Nine

Default Re: Umbrella Companies!

don't do it i have just got from under one of them though driverhire they would find little ways to take a bit extra off you each week be it though there margin (how much you pay them to pay you) or though how they paid you expenses they where always one better. I have saved all my payslip e-mails from them so if hmrc does come knocking they can have them all and see played by the umbrella rules

#3   IP: 86.142.27.77
Old 10-03-2015, 08:45 PM
Knight of the East

Avoid like Ebola. To be honest same rule applies with agency's, particularly those that insist upon the use of aforementioned rain protection devices turned companies.

There are plenty of good firms that do not require the use of these leach like organisations.

Ring round the houses and find a good firm... It'll most likely be 3 hr or so less than an agency would pay. But I promise you the agency and it's subsidiary's will find a way to skim that 3 back.

If you have to use a Umbrella for monetary/choices reasons. DO NOT claim expense's through them as your opening yourself up to dubious tax practices

Quote:
To Be Continued.....
  #4   IP: 92.23.94.46
Old 10-03-2015, 09:24 PM
Master Elect of Nine

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD450A View Post
If you have to use a Umbrella for monetary/choices reasons. DO NOT claim expense's through them as your opening yourself up to dubious tax practices
I only ever got around 10 back a week though expenses as I was never on a high enough rate to be able to clam much back

I ended up on the scheme as the agency who I worked for at the time sent us a letter one week saying it was change or there would be no work forth coming. Agency's do have there place as when I joined mine it suited the plans i had at the time and in to me in the door of many companies i wouldnt normaly get to work for and infact got me the job i have now it also suited me when my house was flooded as meant i could just make myself unavailable for work when i had people coming round to look and fix things

#5   IP: 31.76.79.246
Old 11-03-2015, 09:42 AM
Knight of the East and West

Moore transport are looking for ADT drivers, ask for Chris 07803 482603 www.dumptruckhire.com/ with immediate start at Woking if that's any help
  #6   IP: 86.142.83.13
Old 11-03-2015, 10:25 AM
Knight of the Rose Croix of H.R.D.M

Location: Druid central, just East of Pandy, Nr. Abergavenny, S. Wales, UK, 3rd rock from the Sun

Quote:
Originally Posted by komatsu View Post
Moore transport are looking for ADT drivers, ask for Chris 07803 482603 www.dumptruckhire.com/ with immediate start at Woking if that's any help
I would imagine the A465 job, down here'll have more than its share of 'labour'/op.s/etc., required shortly too Ol?
  #7   IP: 31.76.79.246
Old 11-03-2015, 10:43 AM
Knight of the East and West

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8Druid View Post
I would imagine the A465 job, down here'll have more than its share of 'labour'/op.s/etc., required shortly too Ol?
Not sure Gra, just thought of Nigel when they put it up on Twitter about 10 mins before I put it on here
  #8   IP: 213.205.252.64
Old 11-03-2015, 05:34 PM

Well well well...

Hats off to Twitter!

I spoke to Chris Moore (very helpful). He does need someone ASAP and I'm not available to get to Woking till late next week. And work might be days or months. Certainly something for the future, when I become more mobile.

Strangely, I want to be mobile. Means getting away and exploring new places on my bicycle too AH to be single ... and plan on keeping it that way!

BUT, there is an opening of an ADT op. at a quarry near St.Austell. The otherside of Cornwall (not wide!) from me. Downside, agency umbrella company and all that malarkey? I can choose my umbrella company ... lucky me!

The work would be long term and a good stepping stone to build experience. As Trax's said, a quarry is a good start.

HGV medical req., so lets see where this leads?

Thank you for all the helpful posts.

Nigel

#9   IP: 2.217.201.111
Old 11-03-2015, 06:21 PM
Knight of the East

nigel if its a mountain bike and you do end up in woking you are welcome to join me and the lads for a day or two in the mud?

#10   IP: 46.33.141.223
Old 11-03-2015, 06:49 PM
Grand Master Architect

Nigel, for God's sake go self employed. You're instantly more employable, command a slightly higher rate and can claim mileage etc. Nothing to stop you going PAYE if the right job comes up, you might end up on an emergency tax code for a bit but it'll come right in the end.

If you're self-employed, mechanically sympathetic and have a good work ethic, doors just open. Your ADT boss might have no work for a week, but you can bet your bottom dollar that if you're any good his mate with the mini diggers will want to borrow you to sit on a three tonner for some ditching for a few days. Or the farmer down the road will want a hand with spud planting. Or harvest.

If your self employed it's just so much easier for all concerned. Knock on a farmers door, give them your UTR number and they know it's all above board and they can easily offset your bill against tax. Plenty of people, particularly rurally, don't give a rats arse about tickets, and you will gain valuable experience for if you do decide to do a digger ticket or whatever.

Tags
adt, agencies, hmrc, umbrella companies