The British Construction Equipment Forum  

Go Back   The British Construction Equipment Forum > INDUSTRY MATTERS > Finance and Administration

#1   IP: 109.156.246.183
Old 15-03-2015, 11:46 AM

Default Umbrella Companies II

Hi,

Recommendations are always the best form of advice and guidance. So with that, can anyone recommend an Umbrella company?

Obviously been self-employed would be a better option, but this is not an option I have at this present time. So I have to make do!

Nigel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
  #2   IP: 86.144.233.30
Old 15-03-2015, 12:23 PM
Prince of Jerusalem

Default Re: Umbrella Companies II

From what I have heard, non of it good, the sooner everybody downs tools and refuses to work through umbrella companies, the better for everybody.

Seems a blatant abuse of workers, their rights and their wages I'm no union man, never have been but ........................

Rotation excavation across the Nation.

#3   IP: 86.138.19.200
Old 15-03-2015, 12:30 PM
Knight of the East

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlasRob View Post
From what I have heard, non of it good, the sooner everybody downs tools and refuses to work through umbrella companies, the better for everybody.

Seems a blatant abuse of workers, their rights and their wages I'm no union man, never have been but ........................
And that about sums it up

Quote:
To Be Continued.....
  #4   IP: 109.156.246.183
Old 15-03-2015, 12:42 PM

I've spent sometime researching the said companies and for the life of me I can't seem to get a straight answer to a straight question!

To be the fair, the GOV's have tried to hit the agencies employment practices, but have just created a bigger monster!

But, I'll run with it for now, for the experience (quarry work) and take it from there.

#5   IP: 86.144.233.30
Old 15-03-2015, 12:56 PM
Prince of Jerusalem

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADTOperator View Post
I'll run with it for now, for the experience (quarry work) and take it from there.
Make sure you have a signed contract of employment and understand what deductions they intend to take from you before you do a days work.

Any fool can work for nothing, secret is to earn money for yourself not some parasite.

Rotation excavation across the Nation.

#6   IP: 109.156.246.183
Old 15-03-2015, 01:10 PM

There's a system of, a set fee or %. Keep away from the % of salary

They all vary from 16 to 30 pw. But one has to look at ... are they quoting a net or gross fee? Going too cheap can cause problems as the could well try and get it somewhere else!

And one thing I've learn't, there's no shortage of them!

Fortunately, the money is not a train smash, but one can never tell until you receive that first pay transfer.

So that's where a recommendation can be good.

#7   IP: 90.194.169.234
Old 29-05-2015, 07:59 PM
Grand Master Architect

Exclamation Re: Umbrella Companies II

I'm being paid through one of these firms. In all honesty, I don't think you're any worse off than if you were paid direct from the agency. You need to do a bit of travelling to get your mileage expenses but once I've claimed expenses, I don't think I'm any worse off. Its far from perfect and I don't agree with it but until I can find a decent job, good firm, good money and reasonable kit, I think I'll just stick with it.
  #8   IP: 81.138.8.91
Old 30-05-2015, 03:31 PM

It's of no use to the original poster, but I can't believe how the construction industry and those who work in it fuck around with all these daft schemes and short cuts etc. It should be as simple as if you work for someone, who tells you where to go and what to do then you are PAYE, just like 98% of the working population. If you are providing; men, machines and material then sole trader or limited company.

I had a dumper driver telling me how much better off he is going to be now he is limited. I just can't see it at all. With extra insurances, accountants fees and admin I can't see as you would be any better off than going PAYE.
  #9   IP: 213.205.194.201
Old 30-05-2015, 04:11 PM
Knight of the Rose Croix of H.R.D.M

You can still have men under your instruction and have them self employed.
A lot of plant work is seasonal and so if you lay them off from time to time they are entitled to self employment. PAYE brings with it a figure for the employer to pay at around double what the employee pays with regards NI so you can see why self employed is preference. There are certain ways of limiting tax due when employing travelling operators. One is to pay them the maximum Lodge allowance which is 35/ day this is tax free to PAYE employees also 4,000 per year travel allowance if they travel over 10,0000 miles per year also free of tax charges.
Ni contribution for self employed with profits up to 8060,00 Is class 2 2.80 p/w
Over 8060.00 profit. 2% of profit.
A one man band operator cannot be better off as a limited CO.

I know of operators getting back up to two grand per year rebate and no tax bill. Accountant 400-500, 2.80 p/w NI. Self employed and earning around 24k. That would be my choice of employment type.

Last edited by Traxcavator.; 31-05-2015 at 06:42 AM.
  #10   IP: 86.135.100.147
Old 31-05-2015, 09:30 AM
Knight of the Rose Croix of H.R.D.M

i will stick with paye far better in the long run

life is hard , but its harder if you're stupid