The British Construction Equipment Forum  

Go Back   The British Construction Equipment Forum > INDUSTRY MATTERS > Finance and Administration

#11   IP: 213.205.194.201
Old 31-05-2015, 12:07 PM
Knight of the Rose Croix of H.R.D.M

Default Re: Umbrella Companies II

Quote:
Originally Posted by d4c24a View Post
i will stick with paye far better in the long run
If you are with one company for some time. If not, self employment is a better option. Less tax and less NI. Hopefully a rate that covers holiday pay, however not many seem to bother with hols when busy it seems.
  #12   IP: 86.187.44.111
Old 31-05-2015, 01:21 PM
Grand Master Architect

Yeah I'l stick with paye at a good company,all this sham self employment n expecting the taxpayer to subsidise employee travel costs,which seems to be being stopped on umbrella scam,I mean schemes,first n last travel of the day being commutes,somebody has to pay tax,however badly the moneys used
  #13   IP: 31.125.125.185
Old 31-05-2015, 01:47 PM

Lynchy, on paye you are entitled to 4k tax free for travel allowance if travelling over 10,000 miles per year. Also up to 245 per week lodge payment, tax free. If staying away from home for work.
  #14   IP: 90.194.169.234
Old 31-05-2015, 01:56 PM
Grand Master Architect

I've always preferred PAYE but yes, you can earn a little bit more s/e but I think holiday pay and wet days and the suchlike can outweigh this. It call depends on the individual and their circumstances.
  #15   IP: 82.132.233.108
Old 31-05-2015, 02:00 PM
Grand Master Architect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traxcavator. View Post
Lynchy, on paye you are entitled to 4k tax free for travel allowance if travelling over 10,000 miles per year. Also up to 245 per week lodge payment, tax free. If staying away from home for work.
Yeah mate,like I say good company pays more than that,get paid travel n fair bit more than that lodge a week or hotel plus s for food,shame more co's dont treat people so proper
  #16   IP: 31.125.125.185
Old 31-05-2015, 02:39 PM

All depends on the company and what it can afford, if the company is only a plant hire outfit for instance and have just that as an income the company is limited as to the operators pay. ie 20 tonne excavator cost 95k. You have to pay for this and are charging 34/hr, realistically how much could you afford to pay the operator ? My figures for travel and lodge were the tax threshold figures. More can obviously be paid but you would be taxed on that extra amount.
  #17   IP: 86.187.33.69
Old 31-05-2015, 03:17 PM
Grand Master Architect

Yeah niche market firms all the way for me,always going to be a premium for co's that are on big money jobs/ time constrained jobs as opposed to plant hire,mind you we have done some muckshift n concrete jobs that wouldn't be economic in 'the real world'.Find on rail jobs most firms doing away with cis n going umbrella,seeing as lots of guys work only one or two shifts at week end,on other job thru week,payroll co charges bit excessive,but imho paying to get paid,n paying two lots of ni is bang out of order anyways
  #18   IP: 2.97.33.67
Old 31-05-2015, 04:40 PM
Intimate Secretary

totally agree with lynchy regarding national insurance how can you be employer and employee if your paye. agency and umbrella are making a profit on the guy who is at the coal face as such, and I have heard rumours of guys doing tax returns and hmrc having no records of deductions that have been taken from them. paye for me I have been with same employer 23 years 16 of those paye probably less pay but with 2700 holiday pay per year and permanent work I think paye is better option for me.
  #19   IP: 31.104.7.60
Old 27-07-2015, 10:01 AM

Hi,

Thank you for all your inputs. Very useful.

I'm still at the quarry in Cornwall and yes, still with the umbrella company! As long as I'm still with someone ... can't complain!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
  #20   IP: 86.113.146.127
Old 03-11-2015, 10:59 PM
Master of the Ninth Arch

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADTOperator View Post
Hi,

Thank you for all your inputs. Very useful.

I'm still at the quarry in Cornwall and yes, still with the umbrella company! As long as I'm still with someone ... can't complain!
Which quarry you in?