Stick here and hope things get better with posting pictures 19 51.35%
Someone set up a new forum and go there 16 43.24%
Move to a established forum 2 5.41%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

#21   IP: 185.69.145.157
Old 23-11-2016, 10:55 AM
Master of the Ninth Arch

Default Re: New forum

I'm all for things being easier, and a livelier forum is good for everyone. And I will stick with you fellas whatever happens. I'm just a bit worried and sad that we will lose the good points from this forum, there are some!, the self moderation for one, also now with our most prolific and valuable member no longer with us, I'm worried that his immense contribution, along with the much valued contributions of many other members, will be lost in time and all that knowledge and advice along with it. Or am I being to sentimental and pessimistic?
  #22   IP: 178.106.73.210
Old 23-11-2016, 11:47 AM
Prince of Jerusalem

Difficult, very very difficult decision to make imho.

The loss of our history, banter, rows, etc to say nothing of a wealth of information that now is simply irreplaceable due to Tim's passing.

I really don't understand what the problem is for TVHC he has had offers of sponsorship / advertising he's also had offers of taking over ownership of the forum, none of which seems to suit for some reason.

I post less now due to other forms of social media being "easier" to use & because of that they become the "media" of choice which directly reflects on visits here.

I wouldn't like to move but I would like picture posting sorted even if it requires some sponsorship.

Rotation excavation across the Nation.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
  #23   IP: 178.106.24.146
Old 23-11-2016, 11:53 AM
Knight of the East and West

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shovelhands View Post
I'm all for things being easier, and a livelier forum is good for everyone. And I will stick with you fellas whatever happens. I'm just a bit worried and sad that we will lose the good points from this forum, there are some!, the self moderation for one, also now with our most prolific and valuable member no longer with us, I'm worried that his immense contribution, along with the much valued contributions of many other members, will be lost in time and all that knowledge and advice along with it. Or am I being to sentimental and pessimistic?
Would it be lost though?..if this forum was "closed" would it be wiped off the Internet all together? Or would it be able to be used just as a reference point?
  #24   IP: 86.132.144.247
Old 23-11-2016, 12:17 PM
Master of the Ninth Arch

Quote:
Originally Posted by komatsu View Post
Would it be lost though?..if this forum was "closed" would it be wiped off the Internet all together? Or would it be able to be used just as a reference point?
I have no idea Ollie , but if it were still accessible but not being used would it just fade away and not be looked at?
  #25   IP: 31.49.234.24
Old 23-11-2016, 01:01 PM
Knight of the East

I do know that Tim was not particularly interested in joining another forum. I wouldn't be unless the majority of members/regulars on here did too.

As for the loss of knowledge. Yes it'd be a huge shame. Particularly as some would be lost twice in a way.

My opinion however is as sad as the loss of the past would be, it looks more and more likely that it could be the only way to safeguard the Row's and arguments of the future.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
To Be Continued.....
  #26   IP: 178.106.73.210
Old 23-11-2016, 02:38 PM
Prince of Jerusalem

Made me smile Rory,

Has anybody any idea what's involved in owning / running / maintaining a forum as I have not got a clue.

I do know I struggle to keep abreast of Faceache, twatter, LinkedIn, CE forum & keep my website up to date.

Pete & Dan might have some inclination as both have FB pages they maintain. Very time consuming I imagine for what return?

Rotation excavation across the Nation.

#27   IP: 151.226.240.179
Old 23-11-2016, 06:20 PM
Grand Master Architect

I too wouldnt think we should move, i mean its a great forum with good members, a new forum would split it up and we would lose a lot.

I use photobucket to post pictures but always have so its very easy for me

Follow us on Twitter

Follow us on Facebook
  #28   IP: 82.129.113.73
Old 23-11-2016, 07:15 PM
Provost and Judge

I'm by means no expert on this but generally things on the internet increase in costs depending on storage space required. A photo speaks a thousand words but likewise a thousand words take up much less megabytes! A forum with loads of high quality photos would be more costly to run than this one in its current form and might be a reason why the photo posting thing hasn't been upgraded.
It would be a shame to loose the history and as a relatively new member, I still trawl through the back history occasionally as there are some good reads on still relevant topics. The forum would die if the hosting is lapsed and would not be view able anymore.

Personally I don't find posting pics too much of a hassle. I use the forums picture uploader. My phone syncs with dropbox when I get home. Pics are then available on my PC. I pick which pic's I want to post, put them in a separate folder (so I keep my original high quality one) and resize them in paint. Resizing them by 50% works just fine and the uploader pins them to my post. Sounds complicated but takes less than a minute.

Seems a shame to loose all the effort that's been put in here, I'd be happy to show people how I post pics with screenshots if it helps more people post.

#29   IP: 31.52.88.248
Old 23-11-2016, 07:38 PM
Knight of the Rose Croix of H.R.D.M

Location: Druid central, just East of Pandy, Nr. Abergavenny, S. Wales, UK, 3rd rock from the Sun

from what I understand .... if the server that carries it all isn't paid for it'd disappear ... end of ... no access ... nada !! All gone forever and that'd be a very sad day

Julian is a business man who probably spends most of his waking hours keeping on top of his business activities ....
if you're successful, it goes with the territory, unless you're 'BIG' enough to be able to delegate it all and simply sit back and let it run itself, by paying folk to make it happen.

Yes there are a lot of issues that are a PITA to many, others to a few and some that are downright frustrating to everyone ..... but .....
He does keep it all going, all be it not perhaps, as some/many/all of us might like ... but it's here, every time you log in!

How would you feel if it wasn't one night, or the next .... etc.
A lot more pissed off than any of these issues make you feel now, I'm sure.

It is a concern that being so outdated the whole 'shooting match' must be terribly vulnerable to some spotty oik hacker, who could knacker it all at the stroke of a key !!

It's also perhaps an issue that an update may also carry the risk/certainty even, that it might not come back up complete/as is, content wise?

Doesn't take thinking about eh? all gone perhaps!!!

Yes 'the man' promised it .... but .... there may well be problems/issues/major risks even, that we know sod all about .... it'd be nice to be told, if there were .... but we JUST DO NOT KNOW

So, in the meantime, however unpopular/annoying/frustrating/etc., it may be .... try to work around it .... threatening to sod off elsewhere, or start a new forum, etc., etc., is helping no one, especially not ourselves ... and could result in ending up with no forum to bitch about .... click, bye bye forum.

I know we've all volunteered contributions toward the running costs in the past and it hasn't been accepted .... perhaps it's not the money ... I'd guess not.

I know from conversations with older members, that Julian has shut it down on more than one occasion ... through frustration.

Like the old signs in cartoons say ..... "beware-thin ice"

We have no idea what the load bearing capacities are like!!

I make no apologies to anyone who disagrees with this ... we shall just have to agree to disagree .. like adults ...
but there are two sides to every story/argument/whatever and currently it's only being viewed from the one.
  #30   IP: 81.178.210.139
Old 23-11-2016, 09:25 PM
Knight of the East

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8Druid View Post
from what I understand .... if the server that carries it all isn't paid for it'd disappear ... end of ... no access ... nada !! All gone forever and that'd be a very sad day

Julian is a business man who probably spends most of his waking hours keeping on top of his business activities ....
if you're successful, it goes with the territory, unless you're 'BIG' enough to be able to delegate it all and simply sit back and let it run itself, by paying folk to make it happen.

Yes there are a lot of issues that are a PITA to many, others to a few and some that are downright frustrating to everyone ..... but .....
He does keep it all going, all be it not perhaps, as some/many/all of us might like ... but it's here, every time you log in!

How would you feel if it wasn't one night, or the next .... etc.
A lot more pissed off than any of these issues make you feel now, I'm sure.

It is a concern that being so outdated the whole 'shooting match' must be terribly vulnerable to some spotty oik hacker, who could knacker it all at the stroke of a key !!

It's also perhaps an issue that an update may also carry the risk/certainty even, that it might not come back up complete/as is, content wise?

Doesn't take thinking about eh? all gone perhaps!!!

Yes 'the man' promised it .... but .... there may well be problems/issues/major risks even, that we know sod all about .... it'd be nice to be told, if there were .... but we JUST DO NOT KNOW

So, in the meantime, however unpopular/annoying/frustrating/etc., it may be .... try to work around it .... threatening to sod off elsewhere, or start a new forum, etc., etc., is helping no one, especially not ourselves ... and could result in ending up with no forum to bitch about .... click, bye bye forum.

I know we've all volunteered contributions toward the running costs in the past and it hasn't been accepted .... perhaps it's not the money ... I'd guess not.

I know from conversations with older members, that Julian has shut it down on more than one occasion ... through frustration.

Like the old signs in cartoons say ..... "beware-thin ice"

We have no idea what the load bearing capacities are like!!

I make no apologies to anyone who disagrees with this ... we shall just have to agree to disagree .. like adults ...
but there are two sides to every story/argument/whatever and currently it's only being viewed from the one.
I see what you are saying, and I for one don't want to loose threads that people like yourself, Roy and the like to name a few have put a lot of time into and to loose it
Also trax can post anymore so we should hang on to his wisdom legacy and be a crime to loose that

BUT WHEN I FIRST JOINED on 2nd APRIL 2010 THERE WAS NOT AN ISSUE WITH POSTING PICTURES SO WHATS CHANGED

I just want to post pictures like the old days I don't want to fuck about with facefuck, buckets, or any other media done it before and lost the pictures on it

Maybe Julian is frightened that updating the forum may loose some/all of the old posts but if that is the case if we are all told the consequences we could make a discussion between us all if it's a risk we would be willing to take

As for the running costs if Julian doesn't want handouts I will be willing to pay to advertise on the site as a few others probably will

As for leaving, maybe we all don't just switch off and move BUT I think people will start to dwindle off which is a crying shame I for one just get very frustrated with it

Anyway let's see

If you can't buy it build it