The British Construction Equipment Forum  

Go Back   The British Construction Equipment Forum > EXTRAS > Non-Industry Chat

#1   IP: 94.197.120.202
Old 16-05-2017, 12:02 AM
Master Elect of Nine

Default Vivaro vans

It's a long shot, but does anyone know how or know anyone that knows how I get my Vivaro van to start again?.

Was running after fitting a replacement engine, run for 3 days, now it won't start.
Will turn over but not fire, I can hear the pump priming up the fuel.
It's had a new crank sensor and the wiring loom that goes with that.
It's had a new cam sensor, checked all the fuses, all fine.

Strange how it started up fine one day and now won't start at all.
Had the auto electrision out to plug it in, but can't find any faults or codes.

It's strarting to piss me off a bit now, it's been off the road for 6 weeks now and counting.
  #2   IP: 80.41.113.233
Old 16-05-2017, 12:19 AM
Master Elect of Nine

Default Re: Vivaro vans

Are all the leak of pipes ok? Not sure what set is on that van but know the vectra etc had the leak of pipes on inlet to pump and would draw in air rather thwn fuel
  #3   IP: 31.49.119.206
Old 16-05-2017, 12:43 AM
Knight of the Rose Croix of H.R.D.M

Location: Druid central, just East of Pandy, Nr. Abergavenny, S. Wales, UK, 3rd rock from the Sun

Quote:
Originally Posted by alan caddy View Post
Are all the leak of pipes ok? Not sure what set is on that van but know the vectra etc had the leak of pipes on inlet to pump and would draw in air rather thwn fuel
do you mean the injector return pipes Alan?

if so, it's a good shout ..... fuel supply line to the filter/pump will be drawing air

Is this a common rail motor Del?
if so .... what's your fuel pressure pump like?
  #4   IP: 31.81.67.65
Old 16-05-2017, 05:29 AM
Elect of Fifteen

We had a brand new one a few years ago, never swayed from Transit since! We had her 18 months and in that 18 months 14 months she was constantly in Vauxhall. Nothing but problems with the immobiliser

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
  #5   IP: 94.195.59.59
Old 16-05-2017, 07:41 AM
Intendant of the Building

The injector return pipes alan is on about i think will be the older 2.0di and 1.7di motors. The injectors were in the middle on the valves vertical with an o-ring intop of them. Then a pipe was held down with one bolt at 90 degrees to the injector to bring the connection out of the front of the rocker cover. After time the seal would go hard and cause starting issues.

Druid could be onto something with high pressure fuel pump or even injector leakage through the top of the injectors. These systems need plenty of fuel pressure in the rail before they will fire. Its essential that the battery, starter and earth cable on the end of the gearbox is in good order to get max rpm under cranking.

The other thing can be in internals of the injectors leaking so as the fuel pump fills the rail the rail pressure escapes through a worn injector and down the leakoff pipes on top of the injectors and wont build enough pressure to tell injectors to fire. If this is the case they should go with a tow as the engine will spin over faster than the starter will spin engine and the fuel pump will be able to over come the excessive injector leakage, once running the van will be fine till you stop it.

You can get an injector leakage test kit to check injector leakage or i can lend you one. If it is an injector good luck getting it out if then not been out recently. Most garages dont bother trying nowadays and get professionals with hydraulic portapowers to pull them. Had a nissan 3.0ltr in fiat van and 12t cylinder would not shift it. To insult to injury the old injectors were then scrap and had buy recon ones outright.

Or it could be something really stupid / simple....
  #6   IP: 31.49.119.206
Old 16-05-2017, 10:09 AM
Knight of the Rose Croix of H.R.D.M

Location: Druid central, just East of Pandy, Nr. Abergavenny, S. Wales, UK, 3rd rock from the Sun

Quote:
Originally Posted by digger man View Post
The injector return pipes alan is on about i think will be the older 2.0di and 1.7di motors. The injectors were in the middle on the valves vertical with an o-ring intop of them. Then a pipe was held down with one bolt at 90 degrees to the injector to bring the connection out of the front of the rocker cover. After time the seal would go hard and cause starting issues.

Druid could be onto something with high pressure fuel pump or even injector leakage through the top of the injectors. These systems need plenty of fuel pressure in the rail before they will fire. Its essential that the battery, starter and earth cable on the end of the gearbox is in good order to get max rpm under cranking.

The other thing can be in internals of the injectors leaking so as the fuel pump fills the rail the rail pressure escapes through a worn injector and down the leakoff pipes on top of the injectors and wont build enough pressure to tell injectors to fire. If this is the case they should go with a tow as the engine will spin over faster than the starter will spin engine and the fuel pump will be able to over come the excessive injector leakage, once running the van will be fine till you stop it.

You can get an injector leakage test kit to check injector leakage or i can lend you one. If it is an injector good luck getting it out if then not been out recently. Most garages dont bother trying nowadays and get professionals with hydraulic portapowers to pull them. Had a nissan 3.0ltr in fiat van and 12t cylinder would not shift it. To insult to injury the old injectors were then scrap and had buy recon ones outright.

Or it could be something really stupid / simple....
Aye ..... had no end of trouble with the stepson's C2 Citroen.

Bleeds, leaking fuel into the valley, in the head and drawing air back.....
total, absolute bar steward of a thing to work on .....
need gynecological qualifications and lots of pairs of forceps/tweezers ..... what a bitch !!!

cured it eventually though with new return pipes ..... and a lot of small cable ties .... the push fit plumbing wasn't up to the job without summat holding it all in place

Josh'll tell you all about that Del ..... just ask him next time you see him!!!!
  #7   IP: 86.158.217.11
Old 16-05-2017, 10:33 AM
Knight of the East

Don't get these problems with VW's and air cooled engines

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
To Be Continued.....
  #8   IP: 81.158.74.81
Old 16-05-2017, 10:58 AM
Knight of the East and West

Don't think Im a prick for asking this Question ....... but is there fuel in the tank

Had a lad call me up lately for advise, tractor stopped in a field, farmer called him out.

said it would prime up run and stop straight away.... primer ok then. stop solenoid..... ok. told him check all hoses/pipes and see...... never heard back for a day or two.

Called me up a few days later..... never guess what..... no fuel in tank

#9   IP: 188.29.165.113
Old 16-05-2017, 11:02 AM
Master Elect of Nine

We tried towing it last night behind the Land Rover, but nothing.
The Auto spark said something about not finding TDC.

If you unlock it and try to start it it will try to fire and stop, if you try to start it after that it just turns over and won't do anything.

If you lock it and unlock it , it does the same thing fires and stops.
The engine come out of a smashed vehicle that was running fine in the original vehicle.

It run fine for 3 days, now won't start, all the pipe work has been check, Adrian is a bit on the OCD side like that.

It's something electrical that's wrong, but I don't know what the answer is!.
  #10   IP: 188.29.165.113
Old 16-05-2017, 11:08 AM
Master Elect of Nine

I put 20ltr in it myself, so yes there is fuel in it.

I know what you mean, a friend of mine had the same thing, car stoped, bled it through, started and stoped, had it towed to the garage,
Auto spark plunged it in, no fuel coming through.
Fuel gauge was wrong , just run out of fuel, it said there was just under 1/4 of a tank on the gauge.