The British Construction Equipment Forum  

Go Back   The British Construction Equipment Forum > EQUIPMENT > Construction Equipment

#1   IP: 188.30.50.156
Old 28-06-2018, 10:47 AM
Grand Master Architect

Default Vacum slab lifter

If I get a large job locally, I'm tempted by a small (150kg) second hand one of these to chain to the digger. Thinking it would make it easier to lay down large 600*900 slabs, and also lift them up to adjust the bed if needed? Anyone used one? Are they worth it or more of a faff?

On a sidenote, I hired in a Tak 216 yesterday. I expected it to be good, but was sorely disappointed. Skinny rams and arm, hard to control, stupid little joysticks that coupled with the struggle to control it gave me cramp in my hands . The slew in particular was very vague when it came to stopping it. Despite not being ZTS it was pretty wobbly. I know it's a self drive machine, but it only had 1k hours on it, same as mine.
  #2   IP: 86.132.145.112
Old 28-06-2018, 10:55 AM
Knight of the East and West

Default Re: Vacum slab lifter

It sounds like a good idea Doob....

But Iíve just laid 100ish 600x900 granite slabs, and as much as it was heavy enough job, especially in some awkward spots, I really wouldnít have wanted to have had a machine on site and in the way. Maybe on large open areas it would be ok, but anywhere that space is tight, I think it will be more trouble than itís worth, but maybe Iím being to critical?

And it surely is then a two man job to lay each slab?
  #3   IP: 188.30.97.53
Old 28-06-2018, 12:36 PM
Grand Master Architect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shovelhands View Post
It sounds like a good idea Doob....

But Iíve just laid 100ish 600x900 granite slabs, and as much as it was heavy enough job, especially in some awkward spots, I really wouldnít have wanted to have had a machine on site and in the way. Maybe on large open areas it would be ok, but anywhere that space is tight, I think it will be more trouble than itís worth, but maybe Iím being to critical?

And it surely is then a two man job to lay each slab?
I have tons of room on this job- it's to lay slabs on top of an existing hoggin courtyard path. I've always considered laying and adjusting big slabs a 2-man job? Pain in the arse when you lift them up and they squish down the side you lift them against.
  #4   IP: 31.81.251.222
Old 28-06-2018, 02:56 PM
Knight of the East

Fantastic bits of kit, if I remember, you can get different lifters to go on the end, ie, slabs, kerbs etc.
  #5   IP: 92.26.109.22
Old 28-06-2018, 06:51 PM
Master Elect of Nine

Doobin I work with these almost daily as i work for a national hire company in there lifting division (3 letters same as the clothing store) see if you can pick up a probst VPH 150 they have 2 removable handles for manual lifting but also a lifting eye for swinging off a digger. As Komatsu has said you can get all sorts of plates for them small slabs big slabs kerbs of all sizes even seen some for small pipes. Should think you could even make them yourself as most of them are just flat plate cut to shape with a bit of box welded to attach to the motor main thing would be getting the foam and rubber seals they use and then if you needed it any prof load testing. Main problems to watch out for are the seals really as once they go will lose suction also the battery going flat and not charging is common as is blocked filters. Any thing else you want to know or any questions ask away am more then happy to help tiny

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
  #6   IP: 79.67.1.34
Old 28-06-2018, 07:37 PM
Intimate Secretary

As tinydigger says the Probst ones are good. They're a bit of a faff with a digger but a lot easier on the body, especially if the beds not right and you have to lift one again.
  #7   IP: 5.254.163.144
Old 29-06-2018, 08:54 AM
Grand Master Architect

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinydigger View Post
Doobin I work with these almost daily as i work for a national hire company in there lifting division (3 letters same as the clothing store) see if you can pick up a probst VPH 150 they have 2 removable handles for manual lifting but also a lifting eye for swinging off a digger. As Komatsu has said you can get all sorts of plates for them small slabs big slabs kerbs of all sizes even seen some for small pipes. Should think you could even make them yourself as most of them are just flat plate cut to shape with a bit of box welded to attach to the motor main thing would be getting the foam and rubber seals they use and then if you needed it any prof load testing. Main problems to watch out for are the seals really as once they go will lose suction also the battery going flat and not charging is common as is blocked filters. Any thing else you want to know or any questions ask away am more then happy to help tiny
That's the one I was looking at, thanks mate
  #8   IP: 86.144.24.123
Old 30-06-2018, 01:11 AM
Knight of the Rose Croix of H.R.D.M

Location: Druid central, just East of Pandy, Nr. Abergavenny, S. Wales, UK, 3rd rock from the Sun

just how good are these vac units?? ..... never used one, or had any experience of them

got some slabs to do at some point and I'm all for an easy life (on the back) ... t'ain't getting any younger

what'd they be like on big flag stones ??? like 3ft+ x 2ft and 'kin heavy
  #9   IP: 31.81.251.222
Old 30-06-2018, 08:03 AM
Knight of the East

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8Druid View Post
just how good are these vac units?? ..... never used one, or had any experience of them

got some slabs to do at some point and I'm all for an easy life (on the back) ... t'ain't getting any younger

what'd they be like on big flag stones ??? like 3ft+ x 2ft and 'kin heavy
They are great Gra, struggling to remember what we were using it for to be honest, but not the demonstration that the rep gave us on site, we were all off the opinion of “that’s not going to be able to lift and hold that surly??”...it got placed on, turned on, waited for the light to turn green, and yep, it wasn’t letting go, very impressive, and you only have to see the big sheets of glass that they lift up with cranes to see what they can get hold of. As tiny said, keep charged and seals/surface clean.
  #10   IP: 86.144.24.123
Old 30-06-2018, 10:22 AM
Knight of the Rose Croix of H.R.D.M

Location: Druid central, just East of Pandy, Nr. Abergavenny, S. Wales, UK, 3rd rock from the Sun

Quote:
Originally Posted by komatsu View Post
They are great Gra, struggling to remember what we were using it for to be honest, but not the demonstration that the rep gave us on site, we were all off the opinion of ďthatís not going to be able to lift and hold that surly??Ē...it got placed on, turned on, waited for the light to turn green, and yep, it wasnít letting go, very impressive, and you only have to see the big sheets of glass that they lift up with cranes to see what they can get hold of. As tiny said, keep charged and seals/surface clean.
yeh seen them used on glass and can well see they'd be good on such a smooth surface Ollie .... but on stone ???