The British Construction Equipment Forum  

Go Back   The British Construction Equipment Forum > EQUIPMENT > Construction Equipment

#6461   IP: 5.148.127.242
Old 26-04-2018, 08:54 AM
Provost and Judge

Default Re: Druid’s New Duck – ’99 Hydrema-Wiemar M1500

Gra,

If you’re going to store the wood in bags you’re going to have to get vented bags instead. Timber sweats in the builders bags and when you go to it in 6 months it’ll be nothing but white fungal growth.

You need the ventilation for drying, that’s why your cages work so well.
Go over to the Arbtalk forum and someone there will point you in the right direction for vented bags. It’d be a shame to lose half of you timber to mould.

Also SWMBO in ours will not let mouldy timber in the house. Dare say Pam will be the same.
  #6462   IP: 95.147.72.57
Old 26-04-2018, 09:16 AM
Elect of Fifteen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powerfab View Post
Gra,

If you’re going to store the wood in bags you’re going to have to get vented bags instead. Timber sweats in the builders bags and when you go to it in 6 months it’ll be nothing but white fungal growth.

Go over to the Arbtalk forum and someone there will point you in the right direction for vented bags. It’d be a shame to lose half of you timber to mould.

Also SWMBO in ours will not let mouldy timber in the house. Dare say Pam will be the same.
Or Get a knife out and slash the Bags, seems to work ok.
  #6463   IP: 188.29.211.73
Old 26-04-2018, 10:08 AM
Grand Master Architect

Bagsupplies.com for vented bags. Or eBay.

They work a treat. Personally the last thing I'd do is slash normal bags with a knife. A knife slit won't let anywhere near the amount of air through that a full mesh side will, and weakens the bag to boot.

I've not had a problem with mould in normal bags, but the vented bags can't be beat.
  #6464   IP: 213.205.242.217
Old 26-04-2018, 10:59 AM
Perfect Master

I know of people who’ve had success melting holes in builders bags with a poker to allow ventilation. Obviously if weakens them though.
  #6465   IP: 95.147.72.96
Old 26-04-2018, 01:06 PM
Elect of Fifteen

Quote:
Originally Posted by doobin View Post

They work a treat. Personally the last thing I'd do is slash normal bags with a knife. A knife slit won't let anywhere near the amount of air through that a full mesh side will, and weakens the bag to boot.

I've not had a problem with mould in normal bags, but the vented bags can't be beat.
Not had a problem , none split yet, no need to go mad. I Am using the tall ton bags though and their a lot stronger than the builders bags.
  #6466   IP: 86.128.106.169
Old 26-04-2018, 10:15 PM
Knight of the Rose Croix of H.R.D.M

Location: Druid central, just East of Pandy, Nr. Abergavenny, S. Wales, UK, 3rd rock from the Sun

well a few contradictory opinions chaps ?? some have no issues .... others do ?

I'd seen the vented/mesh bags and TBH didn't like the look of them, strength wise .... bet they die pretty easily!!

Bear in mind that it's .....

... here 95% of the time ..... so moisture'd not hang about long and these'd not be indoors ...

Gonna have to give it all, more thought and continue to gather opinions
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BLOWY AS F..K MAN.jpg (24.2 KB, 42 views)
  #6467   IP: 151.225.143.149
Old 26-04-2018, 11:16 PM
Sublime Master Elected

i use vented bags they work well and strong enough to re use time and time again.as mentioned logs will grow white fungi
  #6468   IP: 86.128.106.169
Old 26-04-2018, 11:39 PM

Location: Druid central, just East of Pandy, Nr. Abergavenny, S. Wales, UK, 3rd rock from the Sun

Quote:
Originally Posted by mart1602 View Post
i use vented bags they work well and strong enough to re use time and time again.as mentioned logs will grow white fungi
cheers Mart...... all input gratefully appreciated

Just found some 'proper' looking vented bags on Ebay at 6 quid a throw

Twice what the non vented are costing, but if they do give issues, then that's false economy ..... did buy 'em for re-bagging me stone anyway

Better get some ordered by the looks of it

Anyone got any better suggestions/sources
  #6469   IP: 86.128.106.169
Old 26-04-2018, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powerfab View Post
Gra,

sounds like we have similar crosses to bear

wish I had more cages
  #6470   IP: 86.128.106.169
Old 26-04-2018, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doobin View Post

Interesting Ruben ........ how are they stored .... indoors well vented or outdoors ?? .... just curious, but think I am eloquently persuaded to using vented