The British Construction Equipment Forum  

Go Back   The British Construction Equipment Forum > EQUIPMENT > Construction Equipment

#1   IP: 86.154.20.29
Old 27-05-2014, 01:50 AM
Knight of the Rose Croix of H.R.D.M

Location: Druid central, just East of Pandy, Nr. Abergavenny, S. Wales, UK, 3rd rock from the Sun
Default Druid’s New Duck – ’99 Hydrema-Weimar M1500

Firstly, I’ll offer my profoundest apologies, in advance, to all those amongst you who may have seen some / bits / most of this before, here and there on the forum. Please bear with me.

Secondly I’d like to extend my sincerest thanks to the Druid’s Duck Advisory Team (you know who you are) and all the others who have ‘chipped in’ with leads, advice, tips, quips, help and general banter during my very long search to find ‘the right machine’, for the right bucks, for me.

Lastly, but by no means least, huge credit to our own “Maximum Bob – No 1 Duck Driver”, initially for his great responses to my first posts back last June, when I joined, looking for advice and opinions from you all; the guys who ‘jockey’ these things on a daily basis, earn your living doing it, who are, without doubt, the best source of information / answers available, to my incessant questions and for all of Rob’s subsequent help and advice, of which there has been A LOT.

Back-ground, in brief (sort of)!!

In June 2010, after an even longer search for the right place, Druid bought a new home and moved – Great spot, a little barn conversion, all newly refurb.ed indoors, fab. location, ¾ mile private drive, shared with two neighbours. Idyllic, ‘cept there was no Druid’s toy sheds – space to put one, if I dug out a gert big bank, but nothing immediately useable.

Enter stage right –one Black cab 3CX and a 6 ton swivel Thwaites, for the purpose of .....

Three months later, I find myself ‘en route’ to hospital, in the middle of the night, feeling very ill, in shoot me now pain, thinking this might just be it!!!! Never been ill in my life – bullet proof!!! A lot of you know the story so ........ !

Two weeks in hospital, with severe acute pancreatitis, followed by several weeks of tests to establish the cause – I don’t drink. Upshot was, first off, I’m dying then several months later, I’m not, but in need of treatment for the rest of me natural. I’d been told to quit what I do and was forced to sell up my biz, which as most know, has been yet another long story.

The CX and bank became ‘therapy’ for quite a while and got a lot done, albeit slowly, whilst I recovered. Jakie’s done me proud and saved me a fortune, but he eventually became out-gunned by the task in hand and a bigger ‘weapon’ was required.

Tracks, or wheels – that was the question?

Tracks would have obviously coped admirably with the task, but I was restricted as to what I could get in here, transport-wise. (Mog'll tell you all about that!!)
Wheels on the other hand had a great appeal for many reasons – access getting in here, getting about, without ground/driveway damage, both before, during and after and a duck would provide great materials handling/craneage/etc. subsequently, but..... Could they cope with the terrain initially?

Enter the forum and good ol’ Atlasrob – my first port of call, who seemed to ‘know his sh*t’, from what I had read!!

Wheels were my preference. After several weeks of questions and suitably re-assured that a duck’d cope with what I had to deal with, the quest for duck began!!

I viewed/shortlisted/discounted several ‘budget’ options (read ‘nails’),

[IMG]URL=http://s1275.photobucket.com/user/v8druid/media/case588p003a_zps02b40bd8.jpg.html][/URL][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Tight m/c but rotting as you watched it - Devon Duck - most of it's life by (or possibly in) the Sea?????

Last edited by V8Druid; 02-03-2016 at 12:01 AM.
  #2   IP: 86.154.20.29
Old 27-05-2014, 01:51 AM

Location: Druid central, just East of Pandy, Nr. Abergavenny, S. Wales, UK, 3rd rock from the Sun
Default Re: Druid’s New Duck – ’99 Hydrema-Wiemar M1500

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Brightwell's 588 'offering' - wouldn't/couldn't start! Had a very hard life - Not for the Druid - Mrs D says "why not that nice one over there Gra?" " - " 'Cos it'll be about £30k dear"!!!!!!!

[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by V8Druid; 08-06-2014 at 11:54 PM.
  #3   IP: 86.154.20.29
Old 27-05-2014, 01:51 AM

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Better! But gone before I could get to look at it!! IIRC £8k

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by V8Druid; 27-05-2014 at 11:29 AM.
  #4   IP: 86.154.20.29
Old 27-05-2014, 01:52 AM

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

This 'looked' quite a tidy m/c, but could never get the guy to respond to my texts/phone calls/emails - of which there were a few as it was in Ammanford (quite local) - For all I know it may well still be there. Never, ever got a response!!!!!!!!!!?

[IMG][/IMG]

Ah! the 1604KZW in Wisbech. First it was a road railer, with nice VA. Then he cut the rail gear off, stuck a scrap grab on it and r-listed it. 2 days later, he'd put a bucket back on it and re-listed it again!! Could never get him to commit to a day and time to view it. Think he thought I'd 'pop' the 200+ miles each way on the off chance he'd be there - wrong!! Has listed some nails since!!!!

[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by V8Druid; 27-05-2014 at 11:35 AM.
  #5   IP: 86.154.20.29
Old 27-05-2014, 01:52 AM

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

The Isle of Man 588. Thank F**k for Sean (casedriver)! Looked very good on the face of it, but on the IOM - ever tried to get there? Not cheap or convenient!! It was not all it was 'represented' to be and Sean had some very 'interesting' images of how it had been (ab)used.
Seller though, to be fair, was very communicative, quick and did supply everything I asked of him - just forgot to include a few less tantalizing details!!
Forget that one!!!!!!

[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by V8Druid; 08-06-2014 at 11:57 PM.
  #6   IP: 86.154.20.29
Old 27-05-2014, 01:53 AM

[IMG][/IMG]

Yeah well !! Bit big and no buckets - hell of a grab though!! ruled out!!

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

The vid.s I got sent of this one finished any chances of an interest that there were!! Mog and Vin saw 'em and that was the end of it!!
Pity as relatively local and cheap, but had had most of the goodness wrung out of it !!!!!

Last edited by V8Druid; 27-05-2014 at 11:48 AM.
  #7   IP: 86.154.20.29
Old 27-05-2014, 01:54 AM

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

This one had been listed on several occasions with very poor pic.s. Then he put some better ones up, as requested and didn't look quite so bad. Fair old trek though (N. York.s) and was never very forthcoming with answers to Q.s. Spoke to him several times, but never came back with the required info.. Plus no stabilisers/blade and although going back, was only circa £5.5k, but due to lack of info. and general apathy from the seller, I just gave up!!!!!

Last edited by V8Druid; 27-05-2014 at 11:15 PM.
  #8   IP: 86.154.20.29
Old 27-05-2014, 01:54 AM

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Couple of you guys flagged this up to me and someone also said it had been 'doing the rounds'. Again, struggled to get a firm commitment to view it and as it was in Yorkshire again and and not really what I was, by now, looking for, didn't bother to pursue it.

Last edited by V8Druid; 27-05-2014 at 11:16 PM.
  #9   IP: 86.154.20.29
Old 27-05-2014, 01:55 AM

Mogman viewed another ‘less budget’, but equally ‘nail-like’ Atlas, for me on his turf and saved me a fair old trek to find out it had no brakes (Mog rammed a skip to stop it) and had all sorts of major 'leccy' issues. Pity - nice-ish selector and 4 buckets that had never been used - apparently - Nice guy to deal with, on the phone, though! At £13+K it needed to be faultless - not brakeless!!!!!!1

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

and almost bought this beauty at Brightwells, until the assembled throng realised that it was mine at £17k and it went ballistic!!
This was the 'nice shiny one' Mrs D fancied,whilst looking at their 588 nail !!!!!!

[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by V8Druid; 27-05-2014 at 11:18 PM.
  #10   IP: 86.154.20.29
Old 27-05-2014, 01:56 AM

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Ok - put yer tongues back in and wait to see what I did get - was nice though!!!!!!

Last edited by V8Druid; 27-05-2014 at 11:19 PM.