The British Construction Equipment Forum  

Go Back   The British Construction Equipment Forum > EQUIPMENT > Innovations and New Technology

#11   IP: 86.149.150.27
Old 26-12-2016, 01:18 AM
Sublime Master Elected

Default Re: chernobyl ...... WOW!

I want to know what they will do if/when they get a problem with one of the robotic cranes, will they be able to get in there to sort it out once they've started the dismantling process and exposed the radioactive material!
Very interesting programme though! I was amazed they even moved the bloody great thing!
  #12   IP: 31.105.163.90
Old 26-12-2016, 06:02 AM
Knight of the East and West

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8Druid View Post
yeh ... double triangulation and a 'kin gert weight to hold it all down steady ... bloody clever ..... must be some gantries
Didn't really understand how it worked but could sort of see with the miniature unit how it did, if that makes sense.......gantrie was about 800 tonnes and I think they said only 7 years from start to finish. Must of been an amazing project to be involved with.
  #13   IP: 31.105.163.90
Old 26-12-2016, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edwards1993 View Post
I want to know what they will do if/when they get a problem with one of the robotic cranes, will they be able to get in there to sort it out once they've started the dismantling process and exposed the radioactive material!
Very interesting programme though! I was amazed they even moved the bloody great thing!
Would of thought they'd just swap it over from where the trucks will reverse into to take the rubble away from...... think the hardest part is just trying to comprehend the actual size of the whole thing...and like you say the fact they were able to move that dome, with what seemed to be not much trouble at all.
  #14   IP: 31.49.119.217
Old 26-12-2016, 12:46 PM
Knight of the Rose Croix of H.R.D.M

Location: Druid central, just East of Pandy, Nr. Abergavenny, S. Wales, UK, 3rd rock from the Sun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edwards1993 View Post
That was one of my thoughts too Tom ..... bound to wear/break down.... especially in the environment it will be working in !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by komatsu View Post
Didn't really understand how it worked but could sort of see with the miniature unit how it did, if that makes sense.......gantrie was about 800 tonnes and I think they said only 7 years from start to finish. Must of been an amazing project to be involved with.
Yep ... truly amazing ...... 10 years in the planning/design, before they spent the seven years building it and we never heard a word about it !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by komatsu View Post
Would of thought they'd just swap it over from where the trucks will reverse into to take the rubble away from...... think the hardest part is just trying to comprehend the actual size of the whole thing...and like you say the fact they were able to move that dome, with what seemed to be not much trouble at all.
not a lot of detail on the out-load process Ollie, but looked like they loaded the scrap, etc. into radiation containment vessels in the work area, then transferred the vessels out of the arch for road transport, presumably in the control centre .... quite how they'd de-contaminate the exterior of the vessels, on leaving the containment dome'd be interesting?

I'd guess that the vessels may even be one way/trip jobs and stay at the storage facility once shipped ..... wouldn't really want to be opening the 'Pandora's Boxes' once you'd got 'em out of there really!!

Strand jacking and slide jacking are amazing processes ... the weight that can be moved is phenomenal .. the Teflon pads were pretty damned impressive .... and simple ...... Man is an ingenious creature eh !! and hydraulics are just awesome ...... some mechanical advantage required to shift 36,000 tonnes of dead-weight
  #15   IP: 78.150.140.252
Old 26-12-2016, 01:09 PM
Sublime Master Elected

Bit off topic, I went on a few humanitarian convoys, taking aid out to Belarus. That's where the fall out landed,not in rusia.
  #16   IP: 5.254.163.144
Old 26-12-2016, 02:02 PM
Grand Master Architect

Probably a dumb question, but why start breaking it apart just to put it in concrete boxes and presumably bury it? Why not put the arch over it, then fill the whole thing with concrete?

Would be a hell of a continuous pour, but surely if you get enough over it? They seemed quite happy working next to the reactor with a metre thick concrete wall to protect them.
  #17   IP: 213.205.198.53
Old 26-12-2016, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doobin View Post
Probably a dumb question, but why start breaking it apart just to put it in concrete boxes and presumably bury it? Why not put the arch over it, then fill the whole thing with concrete?

Would be a hell of a continuous pour, but surely if you get enough over it? They seemed quite happy working next to the reactor with a metre thick concrete wall to protect them.
It's all down to shelf life doob, the structure they put over it to begin with, is at the end of its life, basically meaning it could just implode, falling into the reactors and sending everything skyward bound again. When they origanally did it, they weren't able to "fix" the steel etc for obvious reasons, as it is, with what they have done with this set up, will give them 100 years to crack on and make it safe (100 years being the shelf life of the arc) it sounds a long time but I would of thought that would be pushing it with the scale of the job in task. They have even had to design a special way of blowing air round the frame of it because they will be unable to get in to paint the steel to stop it from corrodeing

Last edited by komatsu; 26-12-2016 at 04:22 PM.
  #18   IP: 84.13.252.16
Old 26-12-2016, 09:47 PM
Grand Master Architect

Quote:
Originally Posted by diggerjones View Post
Bit off topic, I went on a few humanitarian convoys, taking aid out to Belarus. That's where the fall out landed,not in rusia.
That's correct. There's huge swathes of south eastern Belarus most of it forest with radioactive signs up warning of the dangers. But the water continued to flow down the Dnepro river through Kiev (only about 80kms south) and onwards to the Black Sea....it certainly hasn't affected their women!

I was in Siberia back in 2000 and the taxi driver who used to do a bit of work for me told a story that him and his mate went to Kiev on the train just before it blew up. They used to buy cars there, drive them back to Siberia and sell them. His mate decided to stay a while with friends before heading back so Sergey left him behind. Well Chernobyl happened and they just arrived with buses and loaded up folks to take up there for the clean up operation. He never came home.
  #19   IP: 208.81.41.13
Old 26-12-2016, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doobin View Post

I believe there was concern in the past that some of the 'hotter' elements of the reactor could become critical again. Things like the infamous 'elephants foot' which was a molten mass of highly radioactive material caused by the meltdown have been a concern for many years and with the new properly built shelter in place they now think that it will degrade much slower.
  #20   IP: 159.253.162.138
Old 27-12-2016, 05:56 PM
Master of the Ninth Arch

I wonder what they did with the thousands of tonnes of contaminated soil they stripped from around the site at the time. I had heard a story they stripped topsoil from the immediate vicinity of the plant to reduce the radiation level outside and they alluded to that in the film, but no-one ever mentions what they did with it.
Graham