The British Construction Equipment Forum  

Go Back   The British Construction Equipment Forum > EQUIPMENT > Innovations and New Technology

#21   IP: 159.253.162.138
Old 27-12-2016, 06:05 PM
Master of the Ninth Arch

Default Re: chernobyl ...... WOW!

[QUOTE=Edwards1993;149580]I want to know what they will do if/when they get a problem with one of the robotic cranes/QUOTE]

I thought the same. No machine is going to work for up to 100 years with no failures, especially in those sort of conditions. The worst thing would be if the one nearest the loading bay jams on the rails over the core, then they would both be stuck out of reach.
I thought they would have remote controlled some of the big demolition excavators then when they eventually break down just send another one in and keep going. Also technology will move on so they could keep sending in better machines as they understand the problems.
Hopefully they will do a follow up film once they get going.
Graham
  #22   IP: 86.158.219.100
Old 27-12-2016, 07:32 PM
Knight of the East

Quote:
Originally Posted by grahams View Post
Hopefully they will do a follow up film once they get going.
BBC so don't count on it... I'm still waiting for the follow up on them stabilising the tower of Pisa with the augers.....

From what I understand the radiation is reduced drastically the further away you get as the particles scatter in the air. Thus I assume the idea with a crane is the working parts are access able for periods of time (I assume hours), whilst the actual arm and platform could be moved back out of the way.... more reading required

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

" "It's not just for money alone that one spends a lifetime building up a business…. It's to preserve a way of life that one knew and loved. No, I can't see my way to selling out to the new vested interests, Mr. Jorkin. I'll have to be loyal to the old ways and die out with them if needs must" - Mr Fezziewig, 1721 - Fuck knows dickens never told me.
  #23   IP: 188.29.164.31
Old 27-12-2016, 10:40 PM
Master Elect of Nine

I told this story to Rory on Monday, true story.
When Chernobyl went up,
Two days before it was all over the new, one little lad (me) can't remember how old I was.
Sat up in bed throwing my guts up all night, Mum calls the Dr out cos I'm not getting any better 24 hour later.
Dr, not sure what's up with him, probably just a bug that's going round!.
Two days later they announced that Chernobyl had gone up.
Mums on the phone to the Drs, ( have you seen the news this morning?.)
Could you come and have a look at my boy again as he's no better then he was.
Dr come out, mums talking to the Dr, what are the symptoms of radiation., she asks.
Dr vomiting,head aches,high temperature.
Mum, well?.
Dr, will what?.
Mum, what symptoms has my boy got!.
Dr, yes, but he's had them for 2 days now and the thing only happened today.
Then they announce that it was 2 days before that it all happened,
Dr, give him these tablets,

Next morning rite as rain, turn out the tablets where iron tablets, and it was a mild case of radiation poisoning, two days before the whole thing was announced to the world.

But I'm still here, so it's wasn't too bad.
  #24   IP: 217.46.67.14
Old 27-12-2016, 10:44 PM
Elect of Fifteen

I must have had radiation poisoning the morning after I went on the pop with the lads last week.
  #25   IP: 31.49.119.217
Old 28-12-2016, 11:22 AM
Knight of the Rose Croix of H.R.D.M

Location: Druid central, just East of Pandy, Nr. Abergavenny, S. Wales, UK, 3rd rock from the Sun

Quote:
Originally Posted by bri963 View Post
I must have had radiation poisoning the morning after I went on the pop with the lads last week.
sure you hadn't just been sniffing too many rad caps in the stupor
  #26   IP: 89.143.15.150
Old 29-12-2016, 12:12 PM
Intimate Secretary

whole generation 82-86 is messed up because of this fckn chernobyl))

here we were informed about accident after 1 week!

but now they do a lot of job to minimaze problems.

in one documentary there were informations about robots they used... but they had problems when in contact with radiaton so they decided to use "BIO" robots->likvidators (people...). hope that technology improved so new one will not make problems...
  #27   IP: 78.150.128.176
Old 14-01-2017, 11:00 PM
Sublime Master Elected

Anyone watch it tonight on BBC 4 very interesting
  #28   IP: 86.151.136.23
Old 15-01-2017, 02:32 PM
Prince of Jerusalem

Finally got around to clicking the link that Druid posted at start of thread and watching it on iPlayer.

Incredible bit of engineering

As for why they need to poke about with it now its covered.
Because as stated by others, lifespan of this arch is 100yrs, if they don't start and make the damage safe, in 80yrs the generation in the hot seat will have to be constructing something else to go over the top of this structure so that if (when) it starts to implode as the original temporary structure is doing currently the fallout is still contained.

Nightmare, absolute frikking nightmare imho, yet still we insist on building them

I find it very interesting how the wildlife has returned to the exclusion zone. Exactly how it will flourish and reproduce with or without side effects remains to be seen but at least someone is looking at it.

Rotation excavation across the Nation.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
  #29   IP: 86.151.136.23
Old 15-01-2017, 02:41 PM
Prince of Jerusalem

Quote:
Originally Posted by delbouy View Post
I told this story to Rory on Monday, true story.
When Chernobyl went up,.............

Mum, what symptoms has my boy got!.
Dr, yes, but he's had them for 2 days now and the thing only happened today.
Then they announce that it was 2 days before that it all happened,
Dr, give him these tablets,

Next morning rite as rain, turn out the tablets where iron tablets, and it was a mild case of radiation poisoning, two days before the whole thing was announced to the world.

But I'm still here, so it's wasn't too bad.
Bloody hell! wtf were you doing on day it went up? running up a hill out of puff with prevailing wind directly in your face

Sounds to me like mothers instinct kicked in, preservation of ones offspring takes precedence over any bullshit news bulletins.

Don't think we'd get the 2day delay today with social media we'd probably have live streaming via WhatsApp, Faceache InstaGram and **ck knows what other app direct from the control room as the gauges climb into the red and everyone runs around like headless chickens in a bad movie

Think I'll stick with the 2 days of ignorance, rather like the blizzard of 2017 that I managed to survive, just!

Rotation excavation across the Nation.

#30   IP: 86.139.115.77
Old 16-01-2017, 02:10 AM
Knight of the Rose Croix of H.R.D.M

Location: Druid central, just East of Pandy, Nr. Abergavenny, S. Wales, UK, 3rd rock from the Sun

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlasRob View Post
Finally got around to clicking the link that Druid posted at start of thread and watching it on iPlayer.

Incredible bit of engineering

As for why they need to poke about with it now its covered.
Because as stated by others, lifespan of this arch is 100yrs, if they don't start and make the damage safe, in 80yrs the generation in the hot seat will have to be constructing something else to go over the top of this structure so that if (when) it starts to implode as the original temporary structure is doing currently the fallout is still contained.

Nightmare, absolute frikking nightmare imho, yet still we insist on building them

I find it very interesting how the wildlife has returned to the exclusion zone. Exactly how it will flourish and reproduce with or without side effects remains to be seen but at least someone is looking at it.
From memory Rob .. few weeks since I watched it now ... it's already collapsing and the fear is it's gonna come down wholesale very shortly and put as big, if not bigger, cloud of sh1te into the atmosphere as the original problem did
the whole sarcophagus is only sat on itself, over the reactor site, like building blocks with no secure fixings, more like a house of cards, realistically .... with a 30 year life span ...... when it eventually goes it is going to go ..... BIG TIME!!!!
It's now well beyond its 'sell by date' !!!!!