The British Construction Equipment Forum  

Go Back   The British Construction Equipment Forum > INDUSTRY MATTERS > Finance and Administration

#1   IP: 95.144.42.220
Old 26-02-2010, 12:30 PM
Knight of the East

Default F91 Blue Book?

Hi,
A good friend of mine who is an owner operator, volunteered to get me a brand new 'F91 Blue Book' through WH smiths as he was getting one for himself anyway.
It has apparently now been discontinued.
Just wondered if anyone can shed any light on this, as most places I operate just use a photocopied page from one and that is what I currently have.
Is the case now that you can actually have your own weekly register format or is there another form that is commonly used?

Many Thanks
Eddie.
  #2   IP: 195.93.21.69
Old 26-02-2010, 03:38 PM
Knight of the Rose Croix of H.R.D.M

Default Re: F91 Blue Book?

Eddie i think service records and a yearly inspection cert are now required. The F91 was only for lifting regs anyway. You can print your own declaration of worthyness and sign it...we do. Also helps to have the Manufucturers certificate of conformity.
Trax.
  #3   IP: 90.193.135.82
Old 07-03-2010, 09:29 PM
Prince of Jerusalem

Only just spotted this thread.

I have a copy of the Cert of Conformity and the annual inspection kept in the machine and provide a copy to site on arrival which seems to satisfy most.
This current job on the M1 want a daily check done and record kept with a weekly submission with the time sheets.
As a result the WM got hold of a Walters, sheet, took it to the printers and got a few dozen books with duplicate pages made and handed one to each of us.

Rotation excavation across the Nation.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
  #4   IP: 195.93.21.69
Old 07-03-2010, 09:39 PM

The WM took a copy of Walters Daily check sheets ? they should have their own company specific books, not copy some one elses surely ? I have copies of several other contractors daily checks but own covers all plant.
  #5   IP: 90.193.135.82
Old 07-03-2010, 09:53 PM
Prince of Jerusalem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traxcavator. View Post
The WM took a copy of Walters Daily check sheets ? they should have their own company specific books, not copy some one elses surely ? I have copies of several other contractors daily checks but own covers all plant.
What I mean is he took the format as it had all the items listed that need to be checked on a machine with a tick box, hang on.

Ripped the last page out of the book. This is white top copy for office, duplicate pink copy stays in book with machine. Yes....................... this is the last but one page!!! well it was, isnt now, is it!!!

07032010740.jpg

Rotation excavation across the Nation.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by AtlasRob; 07-03-2010 at 09:55 PM. Reason: more bs
  #6   IP: 88.87.189.64
Old 07-03-2010, 10:23 PM
Knight of the East and West

safety.cat.com

Have a look here, the one thing I will say about Cat is the safety stuff is freely available for the wide and varied range of stuff they pawn off to us.
  #7   IP: 93.186.28.188
Old 08-03-2010, 07:55 PM
Knight of the East

Good link there Stock, Thanks.

I have recently employed a Health and Safety Consultant to get everything up to scratch for me.
I certainly don't want to be found lacking on this front whilst trying to promote the new machine to clients.
He has formulated a daily check sheet etc to keep me in order.

When I did a fair bit of work in Tarmac quarries, they had a very neat book printed for daily checks.
Possibly worth searching out if anyone wanted to copy their format.

Just a note on the old Blue Book, I nearly got thrown off a Tarmac site because I always wrote 'No Visible Defects.'
Their argument was the book asks you to state if an appliance was 'In Good Working Order'.
I pointed out I wouldn't know if it was in Good Order or not, but I had made a thorough check an could see nothing wrong hence the No Visible Defects.
It ended up real nasty with the agent summoned and calls to the company I was working for.
Only when a Contracts Manager of a subbie pipelaying firm got involved was the issue sorted.
He pointed out I was completely within my rights to use the wording and that they were on a sticky wicket off hiring me for it.

I wish they had I've been thrown off better jobs!

#8   IP: 195.93.21.69
Old 08-03-2010, 08:26 PM

Eddie if you weren't lifting the blue book means nothing. It was introduced for lifting regs. Look at all the crap you had. Operators daily check sheets are a waste of time Operators can list the defects but lets face it most will only write what they want. if it means being parked up for time with no bonus they wont write any thing detremental. Fitters are the only qualified people to judge a machines worthyness. You from what ive seen and heard would be more than capable of writing up your own risk and method statements,...Consultants don't come cheap.
  #9   IP: 81.149.76.4
Old 08-03-2010, 09:17 PM
Knight of the East

Consultant was actually pretty reasonable Trax, and gave me a quick solution to getting things looking much more professional.
I have a couple of first jobs for very important clients coming up so just wanted to be on the right side.
Just pondering joining the CPA? If anyone has a bit of feedback on the benefits/pitfalls and cost.
  #10   IP: 195.93.21.69
Old 08-03-2010, 09:36 PM

Eddie Thats good, once you have the jist you can use the generic blue print and add the site specifics. I know the paper work is a must some is just plain stupid. Beleive me i have done plenty of it. I know one thing when all that paperwork is in the folder and looking smart it takes the bloody weight of your shoulders that's for sure.