The British Construction Equipment Forum  

Go Back   The British Construction Equipment Forum > INDUSTRY MATTERS > General Business Issues

#21   IP: 31.54.85.132
Old 06-03-2016, 04:40 PM
Intendant of the Building

Default Re: Buying property with issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheggars View Post
Give these Guys a ring, the Know Land Law inside out, In My opinion a solicitor is a waste of time in these matters.( They Get the local solicitors very worried if they Know this lot are working against them)
www.dmpropertyconsultants.com
I agree what your saying with solicitors but how does the property consultants fair with the north of the border land laws. There may be a similar outfit up here to contact but that would only be after I decide weather or not to go ahead with the purchase then attempt to get him to move out. As already mentioned I'm just a bit concerned that it'll be a long drawn out process and I'll end up have to pay for fencing or some other livestock related costs. The cattle can't just be moved as there could be an issue with tags and passports and such so would have to be slaughtered onsite. That's a big step and you'd have to be pretty sure you were in the right before anything like that happened .
  #22   IP: 92.30.4.85
Old 06-03-2016, 05:02 PM
Knight of the Rose Croix of H.R.D.M

I do think you should take advice before you go any further. Could save you big money and aggravation. I am quite sure if I had advice that had the law on my side and I purchased the site those cattle would be going for a short walk in the dark to the other field one evening.
  #23   IP: 109.151.201.153
Old 06-03-2016, 05:26 PM
Sublime Master Elected

the owner of the cattle has to have them tagged and passported by law,they also need to be tb tested .cattle cant live without water and as far as fencing goes the law says its up to you to keep livestock out of your property rather than the owner keeping them in.this sort of thing is why land is let on a 9 month tenancy
  #24   IP: 92.30.4.85
Old 06-03-2016, 05:38 PM
Knight of the Rose Croix of H.R.D.M

Quote:
Originally Posted by mart1602 View Post
the owner of the cattle has to have them tagged and passported by law,they also need to be tb tested .cattle cant live without water and as far as fencing goes the law says its up to you to keep livestock out of your property rather than the owner keeping them in.this sort of thing is why land is let on a 9 month tenancy
If the cattle are not passported and tested etc and the actual owner denies they are his, you could then have them put down if you phone defra. However, you could find you are landed with the costs of this but more seriously be prosecuted, because they are on your land, should you purchase it.
  #25   IP: 31.54.85.132
Old 06-03-2016, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traxcavator. View Post
If the cattle are not passported and tested etc and the actual owner denies they are his, you could then have them put down if you phone defra. However, you could find you are landed with the costs of this but more seriously be prosecuted, because they are on your land, should you purchase it.
This is the kind of thing that worries me as I'm no farmer but it's not the cattle a fault it's the owner of them for being in the situation they are in. I think you can keep cattle with no passports but they cannot be moved from the holding to another, and slaughtered not for human consumption.
  #26   IP: 86.132.49.192
Old 06-03-2016, 10:46 PM
Knight of the East

walk away mike, theres always something better that comes along when its property. if the owner isnt bothered i wouldnt be putting up with all this bollocks and cost.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
  #27   IP: 86.130.147.138
Old 09-03-2016, 01:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Local Diggers View Post
walk away mike, theres always something better that comes along when its property. if the owner isnt bothered i wouldnt be putting up with all this bollocks and cost.
This is probably the most sensible thing to do. The rumour is that land is coming back in price a bit but I won't hold my breath, a couple acre in the right place and it's surprising what people will pay for it.
  #28   IP: 213.205.252.87
Old 09-03-2016, 02:45 PM
Secret Master

A 12+ years possession could see them making a claim of ownership.

You would not be the first to lose some land due to this.
  #29   IP: 212.140.121.42
Old 09-03-2016, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justme View Post
A 12+ years possession could see them making a claim of ownership.

You would not be the first to lose some land due to this.
I don't think this is the case in Scotland,as I understand it in Scotland you have to have registered the property in your name and then have 10 years unhindered possession of the land before you can attempt to claim ownership and even then it is looked upon as suspicious. I don't think this has happened but would certainly have this checked out.
  #30   IP: 213.205.252.131
Old 09-03-2016, 11:38 PM
Secret Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by quattromike View Post
I don't think this is the case in Scotland,as I understand it in Scotland you have to have registered the property in your name and then have 10 years unhindered possession of the land before you can attempt to claim ownership and even then it is looked upon as suspicious. I don't think this has happened but would certainly have this checked out.
Ah dint spot that the land was in Scotland.

Lots of laws are different.