The British Construction Equipment Forum  

Go Back   The British Construction Equipment Forum > INDUSTRY MATTERS > General Business Issues

#1   IP: 31.54.116.185
Old 06-07-2017, 08:22 PM
Intendant of the Building

Default Training certificate entitlements

Hi alll, what's your thoughts on training certificates for various courses done by the employee paid for by the employer? The employer has the training record with the certificates for all training done locked up in the filing cabinets. The employee has handed in notice for new employment elsewhere but has asked for the certs as it may prove useful for future employment opportunities for proof of experience. To be fair They were all done on company time paid for by the employer but surely no use to them without the employee.
Should they be handed out or should they be kept by the company?
  #2   IP: 81.129.242.80
Old 06-07-2017, 09:27 PM
Secret Master

Default Re: Training certificate entitlements

My thoughts are if they were paid for by the employer it is up to them what they do with them.
  #3   IP: 31.50.50.33
Old 06-07-2017, 09:41 PM
Knight of the Rose Croix of H.R.D.M

Location: Druid central, just East of Pandy, Nr. Abergavenny, S. Wales, UK, 3rd rock from the Sun

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.A.F. View Post
My thoughts are if they were paid for by the employer it is up to them what they do with them.
I'd agree ... depends really on the employer/employee relationship.

I've spent time and money on training and qualifications for employees over the years and TBF if they deserved to have them, when they left ... they got them.

No onus on the employer to relinquish them though .... they've paid for them in more ways than one.
Had the employee failed the course, they'd still have cost.

Ultimately the employee could almost certainly obtain copies, if they so wished, as it was they who achieved the qualifications, if the employer chose to with hold them.
would be the same situation as the employee losing them
  #4   IP: 81.147.100.1
Old 06-07-2017, 10:07 PM
Elect of Fifteen

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8Druid View Post
I'd agree ... depends really on the employer/employee relationship.

I've spent time and money on training and qualifications for employees over the years and TBF if they deserved to have them, when they left ... they got them.

No onus on the employer to relinquish them though .... they've paid for them in more ways than one.
Had the employee failed the course, they'd still have cost.

Ultimately the employee could almost certainly obtain copies, if they so wished, as it was they who achieved the qualifications, if the employer chose to with hold them.
would be the same situation as the employee losing them
Druid that is might thoughts exactly, although you have worded it where I can't do that so well.
  #5   IP: 86.187.166.89
Old 06-07-2017, 10:52 PM
Grand Master Architect

Depends if there in house or 'recognised' qualifications,easy enough to get copy's of cpcs,mpqc,ccnsg stuff,bit petty if company keeps them whatever they are,payed for by company? Yes because they were needed n used on a job done by company,can't understand people who dwell on the past,if someone moves on,good luck to them,however easy for me to say,all my tickets,apart from few rail ones you can't do yourself,paid for or sorted myself,come n go as I please
  #6   IP: 31.54.116.185
Old 07-07-2017, 12:20 AM
Intendant of the Building

It's a situation I've heard where some of the training( telehandler and mewp) was done a week or so before notice was given. Others (confined space entry) done a few months earlier. None of them overly cheap to pay for I suspect but now worthless to the company that paid for them but could be of value to the prospecting employee. I'm thinking there has to be some kind of principle involved, especially if the new employer is competing for the same work but not having to pay for the training required.
  #7   IP: 31.50.50.33
Old 07-07-2017, 01:24 AM
Knight of the Rose Croix of H.R.D.M

Location: Druid central, just East of Pandy, Nr. Abergavenny, S. Wales, UK, 3rd rock from the Sun

Quote:
Originally Posted by quattromike View Post
It's a situation I've heard where some of the training( telehandler and mewp) was done a week or so before notice was given. Others (confined space entry) done a few months earlier. None of them overly cheap to pay for I suspect but now worthless to the company that paid for them but could be of value to the prospecting employee. I'm thinking there has to be some kind of principle involved, especially if the new employer is competing for the same work but not having to pay for the training required.
A classic example of what I was going to propose to Lynchey ..... do the course one week and then away the next .... not cricket eh ??!!

the former employer would have some sort of reasonable expectation of loyalty from the employee, having spent a considerable amount of time and financial cost in obtaining them.

If any form of collusion could be shown on the part of the ex-employee and their new employer ...

i.e. " you get the tickets and we'll give you a job" sort of situation, It would not be unreasonable for the ex-employer to pursue the ex-employee and the new employer for costs etc. involved in equipping the ex-employee to be in that position.

Proving any collusion may be difficult, but with-holding the said tickets in that circumstance is far from unreasonable
the chances of nailing the buggers for it though are pretty slim.
  #8   IP: 148.252.129.10
Old 07-07-2017, 07:28 AM
Provost and Judge

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8Druid View Post
A classic example of what I was going to propose to Lynchey ..... do the course one week and then away the next .... not cricket eh ??!!

the former employer would have some sort of reasonable expectation of loyalty from the employee, having spent a considerable amount of time and financial cost in obtaining them.

If any form of collusion could be shown on the part of the ex-employee and their new employer ...

i.e. " you get the tickets and we'll give you a job" sort of situation, It would not be unreasonable for the ex-employer to pursue the ex-employee and the new employer for costs etc. involved in equipping the ex-employee to be in that position.

Proving any collusion may be difficult, but with-holding the said tickets in that circumstance is far from unreasonable
the chances of nailing the buggers for it though are pretty slim.

I thought it was fairly standard to be written into the contract that any training takes 2 years to pay off and if the employee chooses to leave then there is a sliding scale of how much they have to pay back
Or some companies arnt even that generous the whole lump sum has to be payed back until 2 years after the training
  #9   IP: 86.187.164.86
Old 07-07-2017, 09:10 PM
Grand Master Architect

Any tickets I've got,apart from some rail ones that are night on impossible to keep up as an individual ,I've sorted myself,so I don't have the 'ticket collector's then scarlet mentality,however seems to me,if a company pays n claims cpcs training levy it's a bit rich to try n claim training costs back,as some I know do,plus co I'm on with has a training dept it needs to keep busy,'upskilling' the workforce,while I've no doubt these freshly printed bits of plastic would get guys a start,I'm pretty sure most would be 'gone by first bait' cos they don't have experience,another reason they do training is a to get people doing more mostly on the same money,soyeah some courses cost,n some companies probably feel hard done by,if people leave,as I always understood it,if you ask for training,they can re charge you within a set the,but not if the co asks you to undergo training,but really if you can't keep your staff,look to the co,not them???
  #10   IP: 108.171.128.171
Old 08-07-2017, 08:30 AM
Elect of Fifteen

I've been in touch with CAB and HR companions, if the certificate has your name on it it belongs to you not the company and is regarded as your property, you should always give copies and not originals to the company where possible.

I've recently been put through my offshore survival and medical refresher, the company pays all this but the cert is mine, also just carries out my IRATA lvl 1 course, again company paid but cert is mine as I never asked to do these courses, theses have been additional to the job requirements to certain clients

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
training