The British Construction Equipment Forum  

Go Back   The British Construction Equipment Forum > EQUIPMENT > Commercial Vehicles

#11   IP: 81.154.231.101
Old 24-09-2017, 10:31 AM
Knight of the Rose Croix of H.R.D.M

Location: Druid central, just East of Pandy, Nr. Abergavenny, S. Wales, UK, 3rd rock from the Sun
Default Re: interesting and well overdue

I'm guessing that that is in reference to running on red as a road fuel Gra.

Anyone can do it, if you apply for the necessary paperwork, declare intended and actual usage/consumption and pay the duty due, usually quarterly or half yearly.

Open to 'figure massaging', as long as one does not get greedy and as long as you have the 'letters of authority' with you, if stopped, allows you to be caught with red in the tank, anywhere, anytime.

It's always been possible, yet few know about it and even fewer take advantage of it. Means that the excise duty stays in your account instead of theirs, as it's paid in arrears. A well organised regime could work well and yo one's advantage, as I say, as long as you do not get greedy
  #12   IP: 94.195.250.153
Old 24-09-2017, 11:10 AM
Sublime Master Elected

its quite legal to tow an excavator with a tractor running on red if you are going to do agricultural work or forestry work ,ag work is ditching,healing out hedges etc but not digging out a site for a new shed ,silage pit etc because this is classed as construction.as for the argument on roadworthyness i certainly wouldnt put my machine on someones tractor and trailer if i thought it wasnt up to the job most newer large tractors have air brakes and 4 wheel braking some trailers now have abs
  #13   IP: 94.195.250.153
Old 24-09-2017, 11:23 AM
Sublime Master Elected

on the other subject of not paying the correct duty the gov gets plenty of money out of us and what do we get in return? no weekly rubbish collections,roads are shit,nhs collapsing ,no dentists etc etc etc this country is going down the pan because we are stiffled by burocrats and aggencies that cost more to run than the money they save sucking the money out of public services that we need
  #14   IP: 86.138.246.91
Old 24-09-2017, 12:12 PM
Intendant of the Building

If they enforced the 20mph speed limit for agri vehicles and forget about the 40mph for hgv, let them do 50 then I'm sure them with their 50 or 65 kph tractors will get fed up with lack of progress and start using proper hgv for their haulage.
  #15   IP: 185.69.144.168
Old 24-09-2017, 08:30 PM
Provost and Judge

Quote:
Originally Posted by quattromike View Post
If they enforced the 20mph speed limit for agri vehicles and forget about the 40mph for hgv, let them do 50 then I'm sure them with their 50 or 65 kph tractors will get fed up with lack of progress and start using proper hgv for their haulage.
Its 25mph for tractors being reviewed againg this year or next and 40mph for hgvs only applies in Scotland

And agri registered vehicles dont have to have matching number plates so long as all plates are registered to the same keeper
The trailers number plate may also be mounted on the side and if it is no light required for it
However this is for ag use only

On a second note surely there needs to be a restricted milage o licence on hgvs with different testing and paperwork to encourage people to use lorrys that are safe and suitable instead of tractors
Its not just construction that would benefit i see dozens of overload tree surgeons that really need a shift to hgvs
Aswell

And if nthing else all the tractors i see sighn written for groundworks never have decent tyres fitted or the proper spec wing mirrors or bumpers which seems daft for a tractor that is never going to be used for tractoring
  #16   IP: 86.135.103.252
Old 24-09-2017, 08:37 PM
Knight of the Rose Croix of H.R.D.M

i have noticed a big surge in small scaffold co,s using transits round these parts with 6 leaf rear springs to tout their business , overloaded to fuck , DVSA can,t catch the easy targets let alone any other fucker

life is hard , but its harder if you're stupid
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
  #17   IP: 31.49.234.221
Old 24-09-2017, 09:31 PM
Knight of the East

Quote:
Originally Posted by smiffy View Post
Its 25mph for tractors being reviewed againg this year or next and 40mph for hgvs only applies in Scotland

And agri registered vehicles dont have to have matching number plates so long as all plates are registered to the same keeper
The trailers number plate may also be mounted on the side and if it is no light required for it
However this is for ag use only

On a second note surely there needs to be a restricted milage o licence on hgvs with different testing and paperwork to encourage people to use lorrys that are safe and suitable instead of tractors
Its not just construction that would benefit i see dozens of overload tree surgeons that really need a shift to hgvs
Aswell

And if nthing else all the tractors i see sighn written for groundworks never have decent tyres fitted or the proper spec wing mirrors or bumpers which seems daft for a tractor that is never going to be used for tractoring
Nail - Head.

As for overloaded 3.5t wagons.... Waste of everyones time.... Up the rules to 7.5t without O license but with a fuck off great penalty for unsafe lorries or overloaded (i.e £10,000 or lorry gets consfiscated) and people would be able to work with the law.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"IT'S ALL DOWN TO YOUR OWN SITUATION."
  #18   IP: 86.159.248.224
Old 24-09-2017, 10:06 PM
Elect of Fifteen

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD450A View Post
Nail - Head.

As for overloaded 3.5t wagons.... Waste of everyones time.... Up the rules to 7.5t without O license but with a fuck off great penalty for unsafe lorries or overloaded (i.e £10,000 or lorry gets consfiscated) and people would be able to work with the law.
That's what we need, the ability to run 7.5t, most 7.5t are not that much bigger than a normal 3.5t especially when you look at isuzus, mitsubishis and Iveco's.

Put them on 6th monthly tests but without the need for an o licence and many would still be happy and be under weight.
  #19   IP: 86.136.122.168
Old 25-09-2017, 06:37 PM

I agree with Hilux man 7'5 tonners should be easier to run as regards op licensing etc. This would reduce the number of overloaded 3'5 ton vehicles on the road for sure. As for people who run about on red with no trailer brakes and worn out tractors, the faults are not just with there vehicles/ plant etc there lack of regard for laws, health and safety etc will run through every part of there business and will most likely continue regardless of any change in policy etc.
  #20   IP: 79.74.137.218
Old 25-09-2017, 07:00 PM
Intimate Secretary

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8Druid View Post
what is required are some confiscations of all the equipment Rory ... it'd make people think ... a lot .... before doing it

here's a classic example on FB

looks a real ag set up that eh? NOT!!
. Whatís actually wrong with that I canít see anything myself, machines well chained and so are the buckets, itís not on the highway, and certainly is not overloaded. It could well be an agricultural contractor or a guy moving his kit around a farm. There is a firm around where I work that uses a fast trac and plant trailer, it runs on white has a tachometer driver has proper hgv licence etc that guy could be the same. He could be breaking all the rules etc but going by those pics I canít see anything wrong,