The British Construction Equipment Forum  

Go Back   The British Construction Equipment Forum > INDUSTRY MATTERS > Industry Chat

#1   IP: 85.255.232.78
Old 06-06-2018, 06:46 PM

Default Concreting

Evening All,

I'm after a bit of advice on concreting. We do a fair amount of small slabs and agricultural concreting, usually tamped finish with an arrissed edge, but I have recently been asked to do a small slab with a brush finish.

The slab is 5.4x 2.6 x 0.2 with a layer of A142 at 100mm. Would I be correct in thinking that the process would be to tamp and screed as normal, then float the concrete, let the bleed water soak back in and then trowel and brush in one?

Also I have spoken to a few people and there's a difference of opinion in tools.
I.e can a "Big Blue" steel trowel be used for the initial floating and the trowelling, or does it have to be floated with a magnesium bull float.

Also what are people's views on using spray on protection for covering the concrete after finishing in warm weather? Or is he old clear polythene sheet the best option?

Just interested to hear how other people work and any advice greatly appreciated!

Matt
  #2   IP: 109.146.202.60
Old 07-06-2018, 11:19 AM
Master of the Ninth Arch

Default Re: Concreting

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattBush View Post
Evening All,

I'm after a bit of advice on concreting. We do a fair amount of small slabs and agricultural concreting, usually tamped finish with an arrissed edge, but I have recently been asked to do a small slab with a brush finish.

The slab is 5.4x 2.6 x 0.2 with a layer of A142 at 100mm. Would I be correct in thinking that the process would be to tamp and screed as normal, then float the concrete, let the bleed water soak back in and then trowel and brush in one?

Also I have spoken to a few people and there's a difference of opinion in tools.
I.e can a "Big Blue" steel trowel be used for the initial floating and the trowelling, or does it have to be floated with a magnesium bull float.

Also what are people's views on using spray on protection for covering the concrete after finishing in warm weather? Or is he old clear polythene sheet the best option?

Just interested to hear how other people work and any advice greatly appreciated!

Matt
yes tamp an screed off first wait for it to dry off so not to much sitting water then big blue it to get fat up top if aris towel trial piece stands up as it should with out sagging back down then brush finish depending on what bush you use the one that works with big blue handles that has a small trowel/bush head that leaves corse brush finish or a floor brush that leaves a finer finish as is finer bristles and is lighter so don't dig in so much then lastly aris trowel edges
  #3   IP: 81.156.26.170
Old 09-06-2018, 08:00 PM
Intimate Secretary

Has anyone had any dealings with the easy beam screeds for concreting?
  #4   IP: 86.133.237.129
Old 11-06-2018, 02:14 AM
Perfect Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedrod316 View Post
I use an MBW Screedemon for concrete screeding. Placed and screeded 35m3 last week with it. Very handy tool, I have 1m, 2m and 3m beams for it.
  #5   IP: 176.26.220.42
Old 24-06-2018, 05:40 PM
Sublime Master Elected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedrod316 View Post
I have the belle one, great bits of kit! But put a 4meter beam in it and try carrying it around in 6 of concrete and you know about it! Beats hand tamp any day!!
  #6   IP: 82.39.133.212
Old 25-06-2018, 08:14 PM

Sorry for the late reply. Thanks for the advice, just got to try and fit it in around this hot weather now!

With regards to the screed beams, never used one but thinking about getting one for a large job coming up as they look like decent bits of kit.
  #7   IP: 5.71.110.181
Old 16-07-2018, 12:26 AM
Knight of the East

I have a screed beam too, 2m 4m and 5m. 5m is too heavy to use well, i wish i had a 1m too. Took us a lot of slabs to really work out how its best used. We were always trying to cut the concrete but have found best results by tipping it back a little and bouncing gently as we move. Leaves a good tamp finish and better levels.

We also have a roller stricker and that smashes everything for finish. Its wicked. No good inside agei builds but for outdoor flat slabs on road forms we can pull a perfect slab and float it fast

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.