The British Construction Equipment Forum  

Go Back   The British Construction Equipment Forum > INDUSTRY MATTERS > Situations Vacant / Post your CV

#21   IP: 46.33.141.223
Old 01-08-2015, 07:48 PM
Grand Master Architect

Default Re: operator wanted sussex/surrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD450A View Post
I would not be happy to rock up on site with a machine without looking first... even my one day hires with the baby digger are scoped out first so I know exactly what i'm up against.
It's fine so long as you're on day rate.... Quote jobs are a different kettle of fish though.
  #22   IP: 81.135.88.51
Old 01-08-2015, 07:58 PM
Knight of the East

Underground Utilitys, Overheads, Access, ground conditions, attitudes on site....

Myriad of things to go wrong for the sake of half an hour and five quid's worth of fuel... I don't subscribe to the "sod it it's day rate" attitude.. Do a top quality job start to finish whether it's day rate or price.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

" "It's not just for money alone that one spends a lifetime building up a business…. It's to preserve a way of life that one knew and loved. No, I can't see my way to selling out to the new vested interests, Mr. Jorkin. I'll have to be loyal to the old ways and die out with them if needs must" - Mr Fezziewig, 1721 - Fuck knows dickens never told me.
  #23   IP: 93.186.145.174
Old 01-08-2015, 09:04 PM
Provost and Judge

Its a difficult model to get right in our game. Franchises (say like McDonald's) offer a recognized brand, business model and operating procedures that can be repeated in different locations. The franchisee gets their own work but uses the framework on the franchise. That's fine when your selling the same product in a controlled environment.
The problem with our game is every job is different and will have its own challenges as the project progresses. These problems are solved with experience of the labour force on site and quality/ program are kept up by the foreman.

Lets say your target franchisee is a switched on groundworker currently working for one of the bigger companies. He fancies getting out on his own, has experience to get the work done but doesn't have much capital to invest in his own machine, trailer, wacker plate etc. He also would lack experience at running a business, pricing jobs etc and this is where your franchise model could work.
You could potentially offer him all the kit branded up, teach him the way to price work, run the business, invoicing etc. Give him access to the forms and spreadsheets you may or may not use. Potentially use your in house accountant for his business - basically make all the stuff that stops someone branching out on their own simple. He then pays you a fee that pays back the machinery (or just lease it to him permanently) and pays your costs plus a profit.
He can get his own work and you can get work for him. I wouldn't restrict him from finding his own work as you take your fee each month/year which could be linked to his profit so the better he does, the better you do. Also takes the pressure off you from finding him enough work which lets face it, year one will be hard to do.

The risk to you is he goes bankrupt in the 1st year which you can control by holding mentoring sessions or if the work simply isn't in the area, you get you machinery back which as we know doesn't really loose money. You already have your own operating procedures etc so there's no cost to sharing your knowledge, just a bit of time.

I was this person last year and had someone offered me the above and the figures would of stacked up - I would certainly of been very tempted. The model allows the franchisee to earn really good money if he works hard and the payment to you is worth it for the machinery and business support you offer.
  #24   IP: 2.124.62.38
Old 01-08-2015, 09:08 PM
Knight of the East

deleted the lot sorry

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Local Diggers; 01-08-2015 at 11:09 PM.
  #25   IP: 2.124.62.38
Old 01-08-2015, 09:17 PM
Knight of the East

rory, day rate only works if you graft and do the best job otherwise clients never call again. if i go look at a job and price it as such the client pays an extra 15% for my risk, in my case its always cheaper to take us on a day rate. we minimise the risk and the client saves the contingency.

#26   IP: 86.152.171.222
Old 01-08-2015, 09:18 PM
Master of the Ninth Arch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Local Diggers View Post
i should also mention that ive had maybe 10 failing businesses since the age of 16, so im by no means an expert, more a trier.
good on you if you've picked yourself up after ten failures and now have a model that works. Most people would have given up long ago.
Graham
  #27   IP: 78.149.217.175
Old 01-08-2015, 09:35 PM
Sublime Master Elected

Great its going so well dan.
  #28   IP: 80.41.18.247
Old 01-08-2015, 09:41 PM
Knight of the Rose Croix of H.R.D.M

Dan please keep us posted on how it's going. You asked for our thoughts and to be truthful I see it frought with problems. My main concern is if there a shortage of work at present how are you going to clean up in areas outside your own manor ? The Local lads will keep you out.
  #29   IP: 86.171.142.5
Old 01-08-2015, 09:45 PM
Knight of the East and West

He who dares Rodney

You've got a plan, and your sticking with it, very commendable, if it doesn't work then it sounds like you can just shrug it off and move on the the next idea, fair play to you.

I suppose you've got to be brave sometimes, or you won't get anywhere, if you can manage the risk and stress of it all then very good luck to you, many couldn't.

For me the thought of an ever expanding business fills me with dread to a degree, that's not to say I don't have ambition, the next big thing is just around the corner, but I like to have my hands on what we are doing, simple as that. But we all have difderent ways of approaching things, and that can only be a good thing

James
  #30   IP: 2.124.62.38
Old 01-08-2015, 09:50 PM
Knight of the East

tim, its one of those things mate, if i was that confident i would have already done it. its a back burner for me. always on my mind. fact of the matter is that getting the point of view from you boys challenges me to think it theough harder and there and plenty of valid points made. the local boys dont scare me though, you can get a man and machine locally for less than we charge but they are not as busy as me, im not going to share the reasons why but it isnt hard to guess.

if anyone is interested in more info regarding a franchise in north, east or west London, these would be strong areas for which we are already turning away work.

time for a few wiskys methinks