The British Construction Equipment Forum  

Go Back   The British Construction Equipment Forum > INDUSTRY MATTERS > Situations Vacant / Post your CV

#11   IP: 31.52.88.229
Old 09-10-2016, 10:54 AM
Knight of the Rose Croix of H.R.D.M

Location: Druid central, just East of Pandy, Nr. Abergavenny, S. Wales, UK, 3rd rock from the Sun
Default Re: Operators.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traxcavator. View Post
We are predominantly earthmoving and so seasonal to a large extent. This means we have some seasonal operators and some had other comitments this year. Have had fewer men this year too. Basically have some jobs that have been extended. Will always give any one a trial and training, I always have done, only way to get new men into the industry.
Aye ..... never know when you'll find that 'pot of gold', waiting to be discovered !!

Found a few 'lights under bushels', over the years myself, Tim
  #12   IP: 92.17.173.220
Old 09-10-2016, 10:58 AM

Its a "start at" rate graham, maybe even a bit less for a new starter on a dumptruck. Self employed would be subject to expenses etc, also we have a certain amount of vans. A company vehicle is worth a fair bit too. Probably around 1.50/ hr.
  #13   IP: 84.92.186.227
Old 09-10-2016, 10:59 AM
Master of the Ninth Arch

I would have thought 12-15 was pretty fair, but having met Tim and read his posts he will actually expect a full hours work for a full hours pay. Most people who are willing to work hard near me seem to already have jobs. It's the ones who want something for nothing who are struggling and rightly so.
Luckily at present I'm busy, but don't know I'd be up to Tim's standards anyway.
Graham
  #14   IP: 31.52.88.229
Old 09-10-2016, 11:15 AM

Location: Druid central, just East of Pandy, Nr. Abergavenny, S. Wales, UK, 3rd rock from the Sun

Quote:
Originally Posted by grahams View Post
I would have thought 12-15 was pretty fair, but having met Tim and read his posts he will actually expect a full hours work for a full hours pay. Most people who are willing to work hard near me seem to already have jobs. It's the ones who want something for nothing who are struggling and rightly so.
Luckily at present I'm busy, but don't know I'd be up to Tim's standards anyway.
Graham
..... and rightly so too Gra ..... as you say, it's the idiots that are struggling .... everyone loves a lazy ba***rd .. NOT!!

Good, reliable, conscientious blokes are very hard to find and harder to keep....everyone wants to poach 'em, when they've proven their worth
  #15   IP: 31.52.88.229
Old 09-10-2016, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Its a "start at" rate graham, maybe even a bit less for a new starter on a dumptruck. Self employed would be subject to expenses etc, also we have a certain amount of vans. A company vehicle is worth a fair bit too. Probably around 1.50/ hr.
easily, I'd have thought, these days Tim .... transport of any description does not come cheap
  #16   IP: 86.147.230.101
Old 09-10-2016, 12:08 PM
Prince of Jerusalem

Always makes me smile when jobs are advertised with a rate on FB first question is Lodge? or your having a laugh rates are this that or the other etc, etc. Fine if you don't want or need the job ignore it. Somebody may well be pleased of the oppertunity.
I regularly see lads asking, will you take a red card, only just passed my test, nobody wants me, ffs. Park the violin and get your arse out there. Oh, sorry its too far, ffs,

If your serious about a job enquiry, pick up the bloody phone and have a chat.
May well be that after a chat and agreement to a meet with a trial on a machine that both parties can come to an agreement that suits both.

Half the time the enquirer wont bother turning up because they cannot be arsed or its too far or too many hours or traffic was bad or dog was sick ffs.

Rotation excavation across the Nation.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
  #17   IP: 92.17.173.220
Old 09-10-2016, 12:28 PM

Operators.
Its a "start at" rate graham, maybe even a bit less for a new starter on a dumptruck. Self employed would be subject to expenses etc, also we have a certain amount of vans. A company vehicle is worth a fair bit too. Probably around 1.50/ hr maybe more plus fuel expense to us.

Trouble is a lot of people have no clue about business. Most operators don't do "business"

Excavator 20 tonne. 100K to purchase.
Rate without operator allowing for wear tear, servicing and repairs, insurances and earn a bit 18/hr.
Rate for repayments on finance agrrement. 8.33/hr (60 months no intrest)

Best achievable rate per hour excluding fuel 32. (in the south of England)

less 18.00

Leaves 14.00 for operator and expences of getting him to work.
If on Price work will the "i want 18.00" per hour man pay his way to the extra ? I very much doubt that.

Last edited by Traxcavator.; 09-10-2016 at 12:51 PM.
  #18   IP: 92.17.173.220
Old 09-10-2016, 12:50 PM

Heres one for you. I know of an operator of a dumptruck who had work 15 min from home. Rate was 10 per hour and he had a company van. 50 plus hours per week.

Just left his job to work for 17.00 per hour with an umbrella company so he doesn't yet know of deductions, it'll be more than just 20per cent for sure.
He will have no company vehicle or travelling expenses paid.

4 hrs travelling (152miles per day) not paid so 10 hour day is now 12.14/hr ....... cost of fuel @ 40miles to gallon = 20/day so 10 hour day is now 10.14 per hour, however he is still having to supply own vehicle and cover all expenses of owning van ........ Like I said they don't do business !!
  #19   IP: 86.147.230.101
Old 09-10-2016, 01:04 PM
Prince of Jerusalem

Quote:
Heres one for you................. Like I said they don't do business !!
Very often the case that folk cannot see past the p/hr figure.

Having use of a company vehicle is worth several thousand pounds a year in running costs alone but all folk see is " I can claim it back if I run my own" bless them.

Rotation excavation across the Nation.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
  #20   IP: 31.218.171.63
Old 09-10-2016, 01:33 PM
Master Elect of Nine

I put in a few shifts for Tim a few years ago, would recommend it, you certainly will learn how to do things correctly, and it was a major factor in me getting the job I now have and possibly why I still have it

As for rates I've always believed you make your agreement and that's it, no interest in what everyone else gets once you're happy with it why bother with what everyone else gets or what they tell you they get!!