The British Construction Equipment Forum  

Go Back   The British Construction Equipment Forum > EQUIPMENT > Technical Q&A

#1   IP: 89.242.61.189
Old 19-10-2017, 09:17 PM
Grand Master Architect

Default bushes

Not the green shrubbery, but I am sure I read on here a while back that there's a firm that make/sell oversized bush and pin sets to fit in to freshly machined housings....anyone got any links to them?>
  #2   IP: 5.254.163.144
Old 20-10-2017, 08:44 AM
Grand Master Architect

Default Re: bushes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard View Post
Not the green shrubbery, but I am sure I read on here a while back that there's a firm that make/sell oversized bush and pin sets to fit in to freshly machined housings....anyone got any links to them?>
Any engineering shop should be able to do this for you. It's not oversized if it's the size you specify!
  #3   IP: 148.252.129.246
Old 20-10-2017, 12:56 PM
Knight of the East and West

Quote:
Hi Richard, we can supply you with these! What size do you need and how many?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
  #4   IP: 84.13.243.202
Old 20-10-2017, 07:34 PM
Grand Master Architect

Quote:
Originally Posted by cps140 View Post
Hi Richard, we can supply you with these! What size do you need and how many?
Hi Aiden,

Still in the early stages yet, but would like to sort the dipper nose out on a 655D.....this came about because I have seen someone turn a mag drill in to a line borer and thought "how hard could it be?"

Out of interest do you use some kind of liquid nitrogen to shrink interference-fit parts?
  #5   IP: 5.254.163.144
Old 21-10-2017, 10:05 AM
Grand Master Architect

Quote:
Hi Aiden,

Still in the early stages yet, but would like to sort the dipper nose out on a 655D.....this came about because I have seen someone turn a mag drill in to a line borer and thought "how hard could it be?"

Out of interest do you use some kind of liquid nitrogen to shrink interference-fit parts?
You just use a hammer or a press.
  #6   IP: 86.138.19.168
Old 21-10-2017, 10:37 AM
Knight of the East

Quote:
Originally Posted by doobin View Post
You just use a hammer or a press.
Interference fit Doobin is engineered effectively without tolerance, or with a positive tolerance. I.e the Hole Diameter is 50mm and the bush outside diameter is 50.02mm. So under standard conditions they won't fit. You then either heat the outer or freeze the inner, respectively expanding or contracting one part to allow the other to fit with absolutely zero play.

Can buy Liquid nitrogen Via BOC in the tanker, they come out and will generally stay until your done.... think it's 's tho.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"IT'S ALL DOWN TO YOUR OWN SITUATION."
  #7   IP: 5.254.163.144
Old 21-10-2017, 12:28 PM
Grand Master Architect

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD450A View Post
Interference fit Doobin is engineered effectively without tolerance, or with a positive tolerance. I.e the Hole Diameter is 50mm and the bush outside diameter is 50.02mm. So under standard conditions they won't fit. You then either heat the outer or freeze the inner, respectively expanding or contracting one part to allow the other to fit with absolutely zero play.

Can buy Liquid nitrogen Via BOC in the tanker, they come out and will generally stay until your done.... think it's 's tho.
It can still be a press fit. That's why the outer edges are chamfered to allow you to get a start.

For standard digger bushes it won't need to be that tight of an interference fit (as opposed to a gear on a shaft, for instance), so press fitting will overcome the tolerances involved and is standard practice.
  #8   IP: 84.13.243.202
Old 21-10-2017, 07:00 PM
Grand Master Architect

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD450A View Post

sometimes in farm sales there are A.I Flasks for sale, they run on liguid N. Just have to source the gas.
  #9   IP: 5.254.163.144
Old 21-10-2017, 07:07 PM
Grand Master Architect

Quote:
sometimes in farm sales there are A.I Flasks for sale, they run on liguid N. Just have to source the gas.
This has Darwin Awards written all over it.

Make your bush an interference fit that can be press fitted, and save yourself a lot of hassle.

You could ask to borrow your local mechanics nitrogen flask, but you would find that they don't have one...
  #10   IP: 84.13.243.202
Old 21-10-2017, 10:37 PM
Grand Master Architect

Quote:
Originally Posted by doobin View Post
This has Darwin Awards written all over it.

Make your bush an interference fit that can be press fitted, and save yourself a lot of hassle.

You could ask to borrow your local mechanics nitrogen flask, but you would find that they don't have one...
Well thank you for your contributions to this thread. But I will make my own decisions on whats best for me, not what you think. If you have nothing else constructive to add then don't bother.

Last edited by Richard; 21-10-2017 at 10:42 PM.