The British Construction Equipment Forum  

Go Back   The British Construction Equipment Forum > EXTRAS > Links

#191   IP: 195.93.21.35
Old 29-08-2011, 06:21 AM
Knight of the Rose Croix of H.R.D.M

Default Re: Wey and Arun Canal

Nice job for a long reach, pity the tow path's so narrow.
Rob if you had 2 extra metres reach, could you pull and shape the opposite bank from the tow path ?
Or maybe we could lend you our 240 with 6 metre arm.

Last edited by Traxcavator.; 29-08-2011 at 06:24 AM.
  #192   IP: 90.193.135.240
Old 29-08-2011, 10:56 AM
Prince of Jerusalem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traxcavator. View Post
.....if you had 2 extra metres reach, could you pull and shape the opposite bank from the tow path ?
Or maybe we could lend you our 240 with 6 metre arm.
Thats a very kind offer, thank you but it will be too big in the main place I would need to use it.

I cant reach the middle of bed in most places.

I reckon it needs at least another 4m to make it a viable addition for future use.
We then start looking at extra weight at the back etc.
A bigger machine then has problems with the width of the towpath and existing trees.
Something I am seriously considering to aid in maintenance in the future and have not forgotten is your offer to extend a dipper arm for us.

This wet hole had me that concerned that it was in my mind you may have to come in and do it with a long reach which is why I was desperate to see just how much it has dried out and how far I could get. If you could get amongst the trees
The other option is bog mats. The problem with these is my lack of experience of working on mats, ( a little many years ago ) and the result if the worse happens etc, etc.
I considered a long reach on self drive hire/begged/borrowed or even stolen but realisticaly with my short operating window it would be better to bring in an experienced man and machine for a couple of days if it really was that bad.

I would love a tilt bucket and do the lot as I come through in one go but you work with what you have if I can get the bed down to level and clear then the water can drain rather than turning the silt back to slop.
The smaller machine can then work through as and when weather and conditions allow.
I know priority in some eyes will quickly return to backfill etc at Southlands and the bed will become waterlogged for another winter.

Thank you very much for your continued intrest in our progress.

I will sort out that name and number you asked about. I completely forgot sorry.

Rotation excavation across the Nation.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
  #193   IP: 90.193.135.158
Old 29-10-2011, 09:34 PM
Prince of Jerusalem

Time for an update.

I managed to get a couple more days in the bed of the canal and am very nearly to the causeway we built below Southlands lock which is a great result and due entirely to the decent weather we continued to have.

The boat crews are not happy as we are so short of water the trip boats are only doing short trips but you cant please everybody all of the time.

The very wet area is just out of shot around the left curve. I didnt hang about there long enough to take pictures,

Southlands 025.jpg Southlands 026.jpg Southlands 027.jpg Southlands 028.jpg

Southlands 030.jpg Southlands 032.jpg Southlands 034.jpg

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by AtlasRob; 29-10-2011 at 10:11 PM. Reason: managed to add pics
  #194   IP: 90.193.135.158
Old 31-10-2011, 03:22 PM
Prince of Jerusalem

I got to the canal again on Sunday only to find something messing up the view a few minutes soon parked it beside the towpath for the chainsaw to sort out on Thursday.
I didnt touch that root, which is quite an eyeopener when you look at the size of the trunk.

Southlands 041.jpg Southlands 042.jpg

Then it was back to playing in the mud. Its a lot more comfortable when you know there is hard ground only a little deeper
As previously stated one of the guys has put level boards to give me a guide. The intresting thing is how close he is to original level as highlighted in the second picture. I found a shear plane where the clay slid away leaving the old bed complete with tiny bits of veggie growth.
Picture 4 is to show Trax the operating reach I am working with.

The bed is clear now all the way from Devils Hole Lock to the causeway we have just below Southlands lock.
This will allow us to keep the work area at Southlands pumped out and dry even after heavy rain.

Southlands 047.jpgSouthlands 043.jpg Southlands 048.jpg Southlands 049.jpg Southlands 050.jpg

This is the lock on Sunday. The contractors have now left and its down to the volunteers to do the remainder.
Top cill kickers in place and shuttering for the backpump sluice is comming on.
Last job I did was to stand the lower gate coynes against the walls secured to the scaffold ready for the Thursday guys to set them in place.
Also done but difficult to see are the bottom couple of courses of brickwork ready for some serious laying forthwith.

Southlands 051.jpg Southlands 052.jpg

Last edited by AtlasRob; 31-10-2011 at 03:42 PM. Reason: added more text
  #195   IP: 195.93.21.67
Old 31-10-2011, 07:42 PM

Rob Good progress ...... if had you had the The Case 135MSR that tree may well be still stood. This MSR's not the hospital bug......

minimum swing radius ....he he he

Last edited by Traxcavator.; 31-10-2011 at 07:45 PM.
  #196   IP: 204.112.27.31
Old 01-11-2011, 12:42 AM
Knight of the East and West

Excellent work Rob, that swampy mud your working in is much like the crap I was wallowing in during the flood out here. Too bad we're separated by such great distances I'd volunteer my capabilities on the weekends.
  #197   IP: 90.193.135.205
Old 23-12-2011, 06:28 PM
Prince of Jerusalem

Quote:
Originally Posted by 800CLC View Post
Too bad we're separated by such great distances I'd volunteer my capabilities on the weekends.
Your talent and skills would be a geat addition to the team, pity we dont pay travel expenses

Got to the canal twice this week. Managed Sunday then finished work Wed for the holiday so sneaked out early Thursday before the better half sussed out what was happening. Got put on the naughty boy step when I got back home but it was only for 5 minutes so not too bad

#198   IP: 90.193.135.205
Old 23-12-2011, 07:08 PM
Prince of Jerusalem

Top cill, Off side wall ( from towpath) which incorporates the backpump chamber has now been poured.
Sunday was spent striking the shutters, clearing up and swinging the outside shutter over to the towpath side for the boys to continue work on.
The inside wall shutter was a nightmare to strike as it had the step in for the gate recess plus another step in for the ground paddles.
These guys have no experience at all of building, setting or striking shutters and I am far from an expert at any of it so it was a struggle to say the least.
A lack of shutter oil, doing two pours on top of each other due to the backpump channel and building the inset dead square all added up to one very jammed shutter.
It came out in the end but with a fair bit of structural damage that will keep a couple of guys busy repairing it.

On the positives we got a lot more scaffold set up on Thursday providing an access along the length of the lock so bricks lowered down can go straight to the lads laying rather than having to be hand balled back up a lift.

I also managed to extend the footing for the lower training walls.
Not time to concrete them but at least they are dug.
The machine is now effectively banned from the lower end of the lock area until 1st July ( I think) due to our 4 legged stripy faced neighbours who have a claim on the offside bank.

IMAG0185.jpg IMAG0225.jpg IMAG0223.jpg IMAG0224.jpg

#199   IP: 81.129.111.82
Old 09-01-2012, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d4c24a View Post
that could be an idea ,but have a nasty feeling i may be working ,depending on how this coming week goes as we are shutting a major junction on tuesday and they want it done asap
it would be nice to have a look at the great work you are doing on the canal

i dug the wheel out yesterday ,it has a minor cut in the wall but not to the cords

cheers graham
now i really must get this delivered ,as its been propping up the back fence too long , and last week in the strong winds ,the fence got a bit of a wobble on ,and said wheel took a tumble , cue smashed rear light and dent in the back of the passat i was not very popular

life is hard , but its harder if you're stupid
  #200   IP: 31.104.227.158
Old 10-01-2012, 07:26 PM
Prince of Jerusalem

Quote:
Originally Posted by d4c24a View Post
i was not very popular
Christ, I should think not, do apologise to your better half for me as it was blatantly my fault

Give me a shout anytime Graham. I am not there every Sunday as you know but I can give you directions into Southlands. There is always somebody there on a Sunday.
I hope to get there this weekend but definetly not the following one as thats the weekend I have the duck on wedding duty

Like many other across the country, I spent the weekend replacing a fence.
A couple of posts had rotted through and snapped in the wind.
I was going to dig out the original receipt and complain as thats the second set of posts I've put in in 25yrs.
All the panels had out lived the mortgage so I retired the lot and put new in.

IMAG0231.jpg IMAG0233.jpg IMAG0234.jpg IMAG0235.jpg

Last edited by AtlasRob; 30-09-2012 at 05:35 PM. Reason: sp