The British Construction Equipment Forum  

Go Back   The British Construction Equipment Forum > EQUIPMENT > Commercial Vehicles

#11   IP: 86.138.20.91
Old 02-10-2017, 09:55 PM
Knight of the East

Default Re: 7.5T Lorries

Quote:
Originally Posted by left hooker View Post
might find cab auto tips under hard braking lol
I can see that happening to me if i'm honest

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"IT'S ALL DOWN TO YOUR OWN SITUATION."
  #12   IP: 86.159.248.224
Old 02-10-2017, 10:13 PM
Elect of Fifteen

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD450A View Post
We have rather Salty Air and roads As for hedges I didn't say it'd be the lorries fault, But we go places others wouldn't and as a result need Tonka quality.... That is one thing the Cabstar isn't (far too low to the ground)
I'm yet to meet a 7.5tonner that goes off road, they get stuck on wet tarmac. I'd send a 3.5tonner or an 8 legger in before I sent a 7.5tonner in.
  #13   IP: 86.143.138.182
Old 02-10-2017, 10:57 PM
Knight of the Rose Croix of H.R.D.M

Location: Druid central, just East of Pandy, Nr. Abergavenny, S. Wales, UK, 3rd rock from the Sun

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiluxman View Post
I'm yet to meet a 7.5tonner that goes off road, they get stuck on wet tarmac. I'd send a 3.5tonner or an 8 legger in before I sent a 7.5tonner in.
with you on that one .... My Iveco was a 21' flat / drop side and dependent on where it was going and what was on it ... it got a 1200kg concrete test weight parked on top of the rear axle, if there was enough to spare to allow it

weighed in at a dead 4050kg empty

and pulled like a train at 11t GTW .... better than empty
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DCP_0880.jpg (97.8 KB, 71 views)
  #14   IP: 86.138.20.91
Old 03-10-2017, 06:11 PM
Knight of the East

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justme View Post
The trailer can never actually weigh more than the vehicle.
You will almost certainly need an Operators licence.
Technically I don't think that's strictly true.

"Trailer with no braking system

The loaded trailer:
•must not weigh over 750kg
•should not weigh more than 50% of your car’s weight

Trailer with braking system

The car and loaded trailer must not weigh over the second weight shown on the car manufacturer’s plates."

You will need a operators license for any rigid over 3.5t.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by JD450A; 03-10-2017 at 06:15 PM.
  #15   IP: 86.138.20.91
Old 03-10-2017, 08:05 PM
Knight of the East

O license weights? No such thing unless you have restrictions put on said O license due to malpractice etc (I.e It is possible the traffic commissioner can prohibit you from running above say a 7.5t lorry) You do not have a O license for - One 6x4 artic and 3 axle trailer..... it is as simple as:
Lorries - 1
Trailers - 1

You require a O license for any trailer above 3.5t, Or any lorry Over 3.5t... Combination weight isn't a O license issue as such as the requirement for a O license hinges on the individual Vehicle and Individual trailer, not the combination.

It is worth bearing in mind that a Haulier comes under a much more complexed set of rules..... We are not Hauliers and tbh I don't need to be told one cannot tow a trailer on grandfathers rights, as being 24 I have had to get my Full C+E License to piss about with this stuff/

"The notes in this section are for guidance only. Whilst we take every care to ensure the accuracy of the information contained therein any reference should be used for guidance only. Where more specific or legal advice is required we recommend consulting the relevant Government Agency."

Last edited by JD450A; 03-10-2017 at 08:07 PM.
  #16   IP: 85.255.234.80
Old 03-10-2017, 08:49 PM
Provost and Judge

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD450A View Post
O license weights? No such thing unless you have restrictions put on said O license due to malpractice etc (I.e It is possible the traffic commissioner can prohibit you from running above say a 7.5t lorry) You do not have a O license for - One 6x4 artic and 3 axle trailer..... it is as simple as:
Lorries - 1
Trailers - 1

You require a O license for any trailer above 3.5t, Or any lorry Over 3.5t... Combination weight isn't a O license issue as such as the requirement for a O license hinges on the individual Vehicle and Individual trailer, not the combination.

It is worth bearing in mind that a Haulier comes under a much more complexed set of rules..... We are not Hauliers and tbh I don't need to be told one cannot tow a trailer on grandfathers rights, as being 24 I have had to get my Full C+E License to piss about with this stuff/

"The notes in this section are for guidance only. Whilst we take every care to ensure the accuracy of the information contained therein any reference should be used for guidance only. Where more specific or legal advice is required we recommend consulting the relevant Government Agency."
If you have c1+e then surely the rules are different again as mini artics based on 7.5 t lorrys must be more than 11ton train ??

Speaking of which wouldnt that be an ideal setup have a removable tray to reveal a 5th wheel put the hiab on the Arctic trailer or 2 trailers a light weight one would just about carry ur 175 if needed wouldbt it ??then a tipper body clis on to 5th wheel for anyone else to use
  #17   IP: 85.255.234.80
Old 03-10-2017, 09:52 PM
Provost and Judge

Quote:
C1E is 12000kg.

Sorry i meant c+e which is obviously unlimited
  #18   IP: 86.138.20.91
Old 03-10-2017, 10:14 PM
Knight of the East

Quote:
You are out of date.

The rules are now that the combined weights count.

https://www.gov.uk/being-a-goods-vehicle-operator
Yawn, I suggest you re read what I said, perhaps take yourself off to do a Operators CPC course if you wish to lecture on it.

Simple fact is that unless operating a haulage business (in which case you will know a fuck load more about operators licenses than you or most others on here do). you don't need one for anything under 3.5t.

And for anyone running on a restricted O license, or not running a haulage business, "You don’t need an operator’s licence if your trailer’s unladen weight is less than 1,020 kg and you only carry your own goods." (Obviously you still need a O license for the towing vehicle if it's over 3.5t)

To Clarify -
Plant Contractor running a 3.5t van, with a 3.5t trailer to move his own equipment which he will drive - No Operators license required unless your trailers made of Lead.

Haulier running 3.5t van and 3.5t trailer - O license needed.

Back to what I actually asked about instead of plugging what you profess to know about....... Which is a question about 7.5t wagon makes etc.

Last edited by JD450A; 03-10-2017 at 10:20 PM.
  #19   IP: 86.138.20.91
Old 03-10-2017, 10:18 PM
Knight of the East

Smiffy - Yeah, a Urban Artic would be cracking and I regret not picking up Grahams Mates. Only issue is it is then another Trailer to MOT and Another big chunk of money tied up on the operators license. Easier to just run rigid sadly.

#20   IP: 86.138.20.91
Old 03-10-2017, 10:27 PM
Knight of the East

"Motor vehicles and trailers

You’ll need a goods vehicle operator’s licence for a motor vehicle and trailer combination if:
•the motor vehicle and the trailer(s) are plated and the total of their gross plated weights is more than 3,500 kg
•the total unladen weight of the vehicle and trailer combination is more than 1,525 kg

You don’t need an operator’s licence if your trailer’s unladen weight is less than 1,020 kg and you only carry your own goods.

Carrying goods for hire or reward

You’ll need a standard licence if you’re carrying other people’s goods for hire or reward (such as working as a courier or freight transport business) and the vehicle and trailer combination exceeds the weight limits above for a single vehicle.
"

The bold bit is the important bit. If what your professing is right then 99% of all vehicles with trailers on are illegal.... which clearly there not....

I hope to fuck you don't feed anyone paying you this level of bullshit.

Last edited by JD450A; 03-10-2017 at 10:30 PM.