The British Construction Equipment Forum  

Go Back   The British Construction Equipment Forum > EQUIPMENT > Vintage & Classic Equipment

#11   IP: 85.210.145.41
Old 10-01-2018, 12:19 AM
Master Elect of Nine

Default Re: International BTD6

When you get it unseized it needs a very good battery a good starter motor and easy start they usually go with that original heater plugs are impossible to get but there is a modern conversion that's worth getting it uses car heater plugs.May be a bit hard removing the injectors but with some transmission fluid left in the cylinders and turning it with a bar against the starter ring teeth may just free off, I have the twin of yours plus a few shovel types
  #12   IP: 121.222.30.190
Old 10-01-2018, 02:06 PM
Knight of the East

This is a kit offered in OZ for the glow plug conversion .
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/GPK4403-...-/381904826102
  #13   IP: 31.49.119.137
Old 10-01-2018, 06:26 PM
Knight of the Rose Croix of H.R.D.M

Location: Druid central, just East of Pandy, Nr. Abergavenny, S. Wales, UK, 3rd rock from the Sun

Quote:
Originally Posted by furniss480 View Post
How the hell you lot have time to bugger about with such like shite is beyond me .... taken me a year and a half to cobble up a grade beam FFS

Saying that my yards fairly tidy
LOL ... and yeh!! ...... I never seem to have enough time for my 'buggering about' and Pam's constant list of 'to do,s' ...... plus, I don't have to work, as well
  #14   IP: 86.174.118.146
Old 10-01-2018, 08:17 PM
Knight of the Rose Croix of H.R.D.M

Glowplug conversion is about 100 uk , got some for my old boss and his BTD6 Made the world of differance too i heard

life is hard , but its harder if you're stupid
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
  #15   IP: 95.148.190.21
Old 13-05-2018, 10:05 AM
Perfect Master

The last of these were actually made in 1967, from memory the dozer hydraulics were very low pressure, (probably about 400psi)I think the flow & return piping on the RHS of bonnet is actually half inch BSP threaded water pipe. Home made re usable 'wind in' hyd hose fittings could be used on these as the fittings had a max of 1600 psi constant, 2000psi peak
One of these actually finish graded a 1 in 2 slope working uphill by me.
I unseized a smaller engine by putting diesel down the bores & leaving. (Trax's tip) Also it may help unseizing during the very hot weather as all expands. Rather than burn out a starter motor it may be possible to get engine moving via the main clutch adjustment top plate - more or less between the brake pedals. Will give access to flywheel area. Clutch was dry sadly, they never had the Cat / Allis bomb proof oil clutch. Romneyman / Martin Williams will know much more. I see a makers plate on RHS - but this may refer to the blade itself, as these were an add on - some I think made by Bucyrus Eirie USA or Rubery Owen Darlaston UK
I remember a Ford engine could be transplanted into the BTD6 Drott, think it was the 4D engine, if all else fails

Last edited by Old Operator; 13-05-2018 at 08:07 PM. Reason: Extra Info
  #16   IP: 206.45.254.74
Old 14-05-2018, 12:39 AM
Knight of the East and West

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Operator View Post
The last of these were actually made in 1967, from memory the dozer hydraulics were very low pressure, (probably about 400psi)I think the flow & return piping on the RHS of bonnet is actually half inch BSP threaded water pipe. Home made re usable 'wind in' hyd hose fittings could be used on these as the fittings had a max of 1600 psi constant, 2000psi peak
One of these actually finish graded a 1 in 2 slope working uphill by me.
I unseized a smaller engine by putting diesel down the bores & leaving. (Trax's tip) Also it may help unseizing during the very hot weather as all expands. Rather than burn out a starter motor it may be possible to get engine moving via the main clutch adjustment top plate - more or less between the brake pedals. Will give access to flywheel area. Clutch was dry sadly, they never had the Cat / Allis bomb proof oil clutch. Romneyman / Martin Williams will know much more. I see a makers plate on RHS - but this may refer to the blade itself, as these were an add on - some I think made by Bucyrus Eirie USA or Rubery Owen Darlaston UK
I remember a Ford engine could be transplanted into the BTD6 Drott, think it was the 4D engine, if all else fails
I'm pretty sure that's a Bucyrus Erie blade they were pretty popular with IHC in those days and that's typically how they built the linkages and the adjustable landslide's so you could angle the blade. I'm jealous Rory I've been wanting a small dozer like that for some time I hope it all works out for you. I don't see many of them anymore.
  #17   IP: 92.24.190.201
Old 14-05-2018, 08:18 PM
Provost and Judge

The finished restore

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ySesUldRreE

Looks like a cracking little dozer when she's finished
Good luck with the restore